Metal Detecting banned on Wisconsin DNR lands

middendigger

Greenie
Mar 10, 2009
I have not had a problem with this laws the dnr has put out there. I hunted Harrington beach and the dnr let me hunt only on the beach and just the beach, the vegetation was off limits. The officer that was from the dnr let me hunt there between May 1 and October 15 anytime the park was open, just as long as it did not interfere with the swimmers. This was last year in august and the rules don't look like they have changed since. I took some classes at UW for archeology and the rules of an item being of archeological relevance is about 100 years in age. I don't know what they are talking about 50 years! That must be according to Mark Dudzik. However, not a big beach or park hunter just sucks for you guy that do. You think they would let you go when nobody was there or when the park is closed with a permit. Did not look what they have in store for us as regards to metal detecting in the future. Just hope we can all work together to resolve any current or future issues with our laws. Strength in Numbers!

middendigger

Greenie
Mar 10, 2009
I did not notice the change, my experience was in august of 2008 and reflects the laws of the time. That would have been great to hunt on dry land. Wish I would have gone there before this crap came about. Thanks for the reply

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Yeah, well, I'm about at the point that it isn't illegal if they don't catch you. I understand people getting mad at bad practices, but there were much better ways to deal with this other than their facist response. Next they'll be sending the Gestapo to your house to make sure you're complying. Regardless of their reasoning, they have no right to usurp the power of the taxpayer/landowner, DNR lands are owned by the public. It really cheezes me off, I actually pay in at the end of the year, to the tune of several thousand dollars, I'm a business owner. Where are my public landowner rights ??

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lokkenpa said:
I just received the following in an email from a fellow club member...

"Apparently, some of you haven’t heard as of yet. Water detecting has been closed down on WI owned water property. 99% of ALL WATER IN WI.

This stemmed from a phone in regards to this post on the DNR board. http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/ORG/LAND/parks/other/metaldetect.html. It stared with State parks and the way they phrased it. You can only go in to find a SPECIFIC lost item. All other must be turned in.

Then it stemmed to the phrase DNR managed lakes. Guess what, ALL navigable water is under their control. Can see how this is progressing? If you take the rule to mean only State parks, you will be very sadly mistaken. Ask any of the people who have called the DNR archie. I went a step further with John Broihahn and asked specifically what it means. At this time we are done in the water!!!"

This is a correct interpretation. ALL navigable water. We are done in the water.

>:( >:(

Old Relic

Oct 21, 2005
North Prairie, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 Minelab Advantage Tesoro Eldorado µMAX Tesoro Silver µMAX
PuddleJumper said:
For Waukesha County Parks you need a "permit" and it now says that you can't MD in the water.

Puddlejumper,

That's not new; my 2008 permit says the same thing and I believe the 2007 said it, too. So, I don't believe it's related to the DNR ban.

Relic

PuddleJumper

Sep 19, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV, Fisher F5
Thats what happens when you get all ticked off about something, you make assumptions. And you know what they say about assuming something, its the mother of all F'ups.

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Thank you Wisconsin DNR for taking away my freedoms and right to pursuit of happiness through my hobby of water detecting while I was away serving our country for 28 plus years, (still to present)! I think you are a disgrace to our Country's freedoms and rights.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Wisconsin DNR for taking away my freedoms and right to pursuit of happiness through my hobby of water detecting while I was away serving our country for 28 plus years, (still to present)! I think you are a disgrace to our Country's freedoms and rights.

Thank you for your service history hunter - It's a shame to see what happened in my home state in regards to detecting.

Piney

Greenie
Sep 11, 2009
I had hunted Devil's Lake State park for 15 years, each summer the Superintendent would sign a permit that would last for the entire year. It was wonderful and I pulled out hundreds of coins and pounds of trash from their beaches! I mostly loved being there alone in the early morning, watching the wildlife and enjoying nature. This summer I decided to call and see what was allowed. The super informed me that they no longer allowed mding for a hobby and that if I were to look for someone's lost item, I'd have to provide them with the person's information so they could contact them to see if it was legit! I guess my name is in the file drawer from years past and they don't trust me to be actually looking for a lost item. It is very disappointing to know that I'll probably never be allowed there again and I don't plan on buying a state sticker again unless the rules change. That beach area has been hunted for 30+ years...there are no "historical" items left that the archies would need to have, just the current losses of coins, keys, etc. Besides, they probably have boxes and boxes of artifacts that just lay in a basement somewhere....good Lord, how much does one person need? It is truly sad and my quality of life is lessened because of this rule. I agree that public dry land should be off limits, but modern swimming beaches should be okay with a permit. It's very sad.

lostokie

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this mean wisconsin state parks are open for md now?

ww2.wisconsin.gov/state/license/app?COMMAND=gov.wi...

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this mean wisconsin state parks are open for md now?

ww2.wisconsin.gov/state/license/app?COMMAND=gov.wi...

What? This has nothing to do with DNR.

lostokie

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What? This has nothing to do with DNR.

First sentence states " Use of a metal detector on Department of Natural Resources property is authorized only if the property superintendent issues a permit. " it goes on to state at what times the permit is to be used and that you can only use a metal detector between May 1 - Oct 15 .

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First sentence states " Use of a metal detector on Department of Natural Resources property is authorized only if the property superintendent issues a permit. " it goes on to state at what times the permit is to be used and that you can only use a metal detector between May 1 - Oct 15 .

Try the link. I think it's incomplete.

As I worked backwards, it took me to the Regulation and Licensing of professional licenses.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
State Statute:
NR 45.04(3)4(i) Metal detectors. The use of metal detectors is prohibited except by written permit issued by the property superintendent.

Then the page explains the details, and leaves a lot to the discretion of the park superintendent.

This is a major new shift in Wisconsin; maybe not what some would like, but a break for a hobby I describe as old farts who detect for coins because they remember when a coin would actually buy something. It doesn't seem to make much sense to spend 4 hours to come up with 57 cents, but neither, in my opinion, does rock climbing.

I'm grateful there's no fee; we'd never get it back in finds.

Furthermore, I like the idea that it's a statute instead of an administrative decision by the state archeologist, who doesn't run for election.

What do the rest of the board think?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After checking the DNR web site, below, it appears that that state archeologist Mark Dudzik is still in charge, and the DNR ban still applies:

Using Metal Detectors - Wisconsin DNR

[h=1]Using metal detectors on DNR lands[/h] Metal detectors may be used on DNR lands or waters only for locating specific lost personal items. A special permit is required.
[h=2]Conditions of permit[/h] A property office may issue a metal detector permit only to a specific person or designee for the recovery of one or more specific lost personal items, which must be described in the permit application. The permit specifies a limited search area within a DNR-managed property and a specific time between May 1 and October 15 when the detector may be used.
Any proposed metal detecting within recorded archaeological sites requires review and approval by the DNR archaeologist (metal detecting is generally not permitted within reported burial areas, in any case).
[h=2]Found items[/h] Any recovered item(s) must be presented and reported to the property office for comparison with the permitted recovery. The property office will keep all recovered items not belonging to the permittee.
Archaeological materials (50 years old and older) may not be removed from their locations.
[h=2]How to get a permit[/h] Fill out the permit form [PDF], including a list of your lost items. Send or take it to the manager of the property (park, forest, wildlife area, waterway, etc.) where you want to use the detector. The manager must sign the form before you use the metal detector.
For more Information, ask Mark Dudzik, DNR archaeologist, 608-266-3462.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Bum Luck said:
... special permit is required....

Don't you simply love jumping through hoops! The older I get the less tolerant I am of filling out forms to beg for a bureaucrat's permission.

M

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you simply love jumping through hoops! The older I get the less tolerant I am of filling out forms to beg for a bureaucrat's permission.

M

Yep, but the worst part of this is that the state archie just got to make a rule, and we can't unelect him.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread