Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Metal Detecting banned on Wisconsin DNR lands

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    seger98

Re: Metal Detecting banned on Wisconsin DNR lands

Quote Originally Posted by Old Relic
    Quote Originally Posted by seger98
    I wonder if my wife who is a registered Red Cliff Chippewa, can detect on these waters & lands without permit looking for items that are her ancestry.
    I've wondered the same thing as my wife is also a member of the Red Cliff band.

Relic
    When we get back to WI. in the spring we'll have to look into it! I'd love to have her do it right infront of them!

us
    Sep 2006
    N.W.A.
    Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
    15 times
    Banner Finds (1)

So what you're telling me is that facism has finally come to roost in Wisconsin ?? Ok, how can hunting be legal ?? these guys sling deadly poisonous lead into the woods, he!!, fisherman use toxins by rote. What would happen to all that DNR money if greenpeace went after the fishing industry in WI ?? By national statute, using toxic substances without proper permit & containment is a violation of EPA law. If they're gonna stop us from DIGGING UP LITTER, then they sure as HE!! better stop everyone else from intentionally leaving it behind. Boy, that'd dig into their pockets, then they wouldn't be able to pay those fat B@STARD archies. But we all must understand, that if it isn't ROTTING IN THE GROUND, it isn't history. I have for years advocated the issuance of a Metal-detecting permit in WI, say $10 a year, and they allow access to state parks and property. They do it for fishing and hunting, why not for us ?? I am so Pizzed off right now, I'm actually shaking. What happened to our beloved "land of the free" ??
    I noticed that no-one really utilizes all the signature space provided, so I figured to be REALLY original I would make up the longest signature that I could and probably just leave it as one big run on sentence because all that punctuation just takes up way too much space-HH.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    869 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I'd hazard a guess that all Mr. Dudzik will do is be an office fixture. He'll never dig up anything.

Any takers?

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Seek & Ye Shall Find

May 2006
    Midwest ILL
    Fisher1266- CZ-20 Sovereign XS Excalibur II
    157 times

This makes me sick to see govt's local or state doing this.. a ablatant example of state govt at work..stripping tax payers of their simple rights while we sleep & dont forget you pay their salaries & put food on their table. resident & out of staters pay their licensing/hunting/fishing fees..all for their revenues & nice new vehicles, expansions etc. Now they have more revenue for people caught who violate their" LAWS".........Whats next?? banning sales of all detectors ?

us
    Sep 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    BH Tracker IV, Fisher F5

Look at it this way, there is no way to go but up.

Quote Originally Posted by gold fish
    I have for years advocated the issuance of a Metal-detecting permit in WI, say $10 a year, and they allow access to state parks and property. They do it for fishing and hunting, why not for us ??
    I agree on permits, it weeds out the idiots. But not only should the DNR allow permits for MDing, they should also have training classes to get your permit....if they are going to do it for boats, hunting and everything else, its pretty much discrimination not to give us the same rights. Can anyone tell me what other activity they ban on DNR property that isn't illegal everywhere, I'd like to know.

This maybe a little out there but has anyone considered contacting the ACLU about MDing laws in general?

Oh, and if your going to write to anyone about the legalities of Mding on public property, it might not be a bad idea to include that you no longer have a reason to buy their park pass, whether it be a local or state government, we all know how their hurting for money.

us
    Mar 2009

I have not had a problem with this laws the dnr has put out there. I hunted Harrington beach and the dnr let me hunt only on the beach and just the beach, the vegetation was off limits. The officer that was from the dnr let me hunt there between May 1 and October 15 anytime the park was open, just as long as it did not interfere with the swimmers. This was last year in august and the rules don't look like they have changed since. I took some classes at UW for archeology and the rules of an item being of archeological relevance is about 100 years in age. I don't know what they are talking about 50 years! That must be according to Mark Dudzik. However, not a big beach or park hunter just sucks for you guy that do. You think they would let you go when nobody was there or when the park is closed with a permit. Did not look what they have in store for us as regards to metal detecting in the future. Just hope we can all work together to resolve any current or future issues with our laws. Strength in Numbers!

us
    Sep 2006
    N.W.A.
    15 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Actually the law has changed substantially, it used to read that you could hunt unturfed areasas long as you had a paper permit signed by a park supervisor. I don't know where you're reading middendigger, but that has CHANGED.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/Org/land/...taldetect.html
    I noticed that no-one really utilizes all the signature space provided, so I figured to be REALLY original I would make up the longest signature that I could and probably just leave it as one big run on sentence because all that punctuation just takes up way too much space-HH.

us
    Mar 2009

I did not notice the change, my experience was in august of 2008 and reflects the laws of the time. That would have been great to hunt on dry land. Wish I would have gone there before this crap came about. Thanks for the reply

us
    Sep 2006
    N.W.A.
    15 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Yeah, well, I'm about at the point that it isn't illegal if they don't catch you. I understand people getting mad at bad practices, but there were much better ways to deal with this other than their facist response. Next they'll be sending the Gestapo to your house to make sure you're complying. Regardless of their reasoning, they have no right to usurp the power of the taxpayer/landowner, DNR lands are owned by the public. It really cheezes me off, I actually pay in at the end of the year, to the tune of several thousand dollars, I'm a business owner. Where are my public landowner rights ??

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    869 times

Quote Originally Posted by lokkenpa
    I just received the following in an email from a fellow club member...

"Apparently, some of you haven’t heard as of yet. Water detecting has been closed down on WI owned water property. 99% of ALL WATER IN WI.

This stemmed from a phone in regards to this post on the DNR board. http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/ORG/LAND/...taldetect.html. It stared with State parks and the way they phrased it. You can only go in to find a SPECIFIC lost item. All other must be turned in.

Then it stemmed to the phrase DNR managed lakes. Guess what, ALL navigable water is under their control. Can see how this is progressing? If you take the rule to mean only State parks, you will be very sadly mistaken. Ask any of the people who have called the DNR archie. I went a step further with John Broihahn and asked specifically what it means. At this time we are done in the water!!!"
    This is a correct interpretation. ALL navigable water. We are done in the water.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Sep 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    BH Tracker IV, Fisher F5

For Waukesha County Parks you need a "permit" and it now says that you can't MD in the water.

us
    Oct 2005
    North Prairie, Wisconsin
    Minelab X-Terra 70 Minelab Advantage Tesoro Eldorado µMAX Tesoro Silver µMAX

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleJumper
    For Waukesha County Parks you need a "permit" and it now says that you can't MD in the water.
    Puddlejumper,

That's not new; my 2008 permit says the same thing and I believe the 2007 said it, too. So, I don't believe it's related to the DNR ban.

Relic

us
    Sep 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    BH Tracker IV, Fisher F5

Thats what happens when you get all ticked off about something, you make assumptions. And you know what they say about assuming something, its the mother of all F'ups.

us
    Apr 2007
    Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
    228 times
    Thank you Wisconsin DNR for taking away my freedoms and right to pursuit of happiness through my hobby of water detecting while I was away serving our country for 28 plus years, (still to present)! I think you are a disgrace to our Country's freedoms and rights.

us
    Feb 2006
    New Hampshire - USA
    Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
    2190 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by history hunter View Post
    Thank you Wisconsin DNR for taking away my freedoms and right to pursuit of happiness through my hobby of water detecting while I was away serving our country for 28 plus years, (still to present)! I think you are a disgrace to our Country's freedoms and rights.
    Thank you for your service history hunter - It's a shame to see what happened in my home state in regards to detecting.
    "There is no getting away from a treasure that once fastens upon your mind" - Joseph Conrad (Nostromo)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links