Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Metal Detecting banned on Wisconsin DNR lands

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2009
    1 times
    I had hunted Devil's Lake State park for 15 years, each summer the Superintendent would sign a permit that would last for the entire year. It was wonderful and I pulled out hundreds of coins and pounds of trash from their beaches! I mostly loved being there alone in the early morning, watching the wildlife and enjoying nature. This summer I decided to call and see what was allowed. The super informed me that they no longer allowed mding for a hobby and that if I were to look for someone's lost item, I'd have to provide them with the person's information so they could contact them to see if it was legit! I guess my name is in the file drawer from years past and they don't trust me to be actually looking for a lost item. It is very disappointing to know that I'll probably never be allowed there again and I don't plan on buying a state sticker again unless the rules change. That beach area has been hunted for 30+ years...there are no "historical" items left that the archies would need to have, just the current losses of coins, keys, etc. Besides, they probably have boxes and boxes of artifacts that just lay in a basement somewhere....good Lord, how much does one person need? It is truly sad and my quality of life is lessened because of this rule. I agree that public dry land should be off limits, but modern swimming beaches should be okay with a permit. It's very sad.

Aug 2012
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Does this mean wisconsin state parks are open for md now?

ww2.wisconsin.gov/state/license/app?COMMAND=gov.wi...

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    869 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lostokie View Post
    Does this mean wisconsin state parks are open for md now?

ww2.wisconsin.gov/state/license/app?COMMAND=gov.wi...
    What? This has nothing to do with DNR.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bum Luck View Post
    What? This has nothing to do with DNR.
    First sentence states " Use of a metal detector on Department of Natural Resources property is authorized only if the property superintendent issues a permit. " it goes on to state at what times the permit is to be used and that you can only use a metal detector between May 1 - Oct 15 .
    Last edited by lostokie; Sep 07, 2012 at 03:41 PM.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    869 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lostokie View Post
    First sentence states " Use of a metal detector on Department of Natural Resources property is authorized only if the property superintendent issues a permit. " it goes on to state at what times the permit is to be used and that you can only use a metal detector between May 1 - Oct 15 .
    Try the link. I think it's incomplete.

As I worked backwards, it took me to the Regulation and Licensing of professional licenses.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Aug 2012
    This is the site I was looking at.

Wisconsin.gov - License - Details

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    869 times
    State Statute:
    NR 45.04(3)4(i) Metal detectors. The use of metal detectors is prohibited except by written permit issued by the property superintendent.

Then the page explains the details, and leaves a lot to the discretion of the park superintendent.

This is a major new shift in Wisconsin; maybe not what some would like, but a break for a hobby I describe as old farts who detect for coins because they remember when a coin would actually buy something. It doesn't seem to make much sense to spend 4 hours to come up with 57 cents, but neither, in my opinion, does rock climbing.

I'm grateful there's no fee; we'd never get it back in finds.

Furthermore, I like the idea that it's a statute instead of an administrative decision by the state archeologist, who doesn't run for election.

What do the rest of the board think?

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    869 times
    After checking the DNR web site, below, it appears that that state archeologist Mark Dudzik is still in charge, and the DNR ban still applies:

Using Metal Detectors - Wisconsin DNR

Using metal detectors on DNR lands

Metal detectors may be used on DNR lands or waters only for locating specific lost personal items. A special permit is required.
    Conditions of permit

A property office may issue a metal detector permit only to a specific person or designee for the recovery of one or more specific lost personal items, which must be described in the permit application. The permit specifies a limited search area within a DNR-managed property and a specific time between May 1 and October 15 when the detector may be used.
    Any proposed metal detecting within recorded archaeological sites requires review and approval by the DNR archaeologist (metal detecting is generally not permitted within reported burial areas, in any case).
    Found items

Any recovered item(s) must be presented and reported to the property office for comparison with the permitted recovery. The property office will keep all recovered items not belonging to the permittee.
    Archaeological materials (50 years old and older) may not be removed from their locations.
    How to get a permit

Fill out the permit form [PDF], including a list of your lost items. Send or take it to the manager of the property (park, forest, wildlife area, waterway, etc.) where you want to use the detector. The manager must sign the form before you use the metal detector.
    For more Information, ask Mark Dudzik, DNR archaeologist, 608-266-3462.

Jul 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    179 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bum Luck
    ... special permit is required....
    Don't you simply love jumping through hoops! The older I get the less tolerant I am of filling out forms to beg for a bureaucrat's permission.

M

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    869 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
    Don't you simply love jumping through hoops! The older I get the less tolerant I am of filling out forms to beg for a bureaucrat's permission.

M
    Yep, but the worst part of this is that the state archie just got to make a rule, and we can't unelect him.........

Aug 2012
    Sent a email to DNR and this was their reply,

Hi Allen,

Metal detecting on state-owned land is allowed only if looking for a specified lost item of one's own. If in the course of such a

search other items are also found, then the language at Wisconsin.gov - License - Type List

200210041322191371273 applies.

Rick

P Rick Faherty
    Bureau of Parks and Recreation PR/6
    Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
    101 South Webster Street
    Madison, WI 53703
    (() phone: (608) 266-0866
    (() fax: (608) 267-7474
    (+) e-mail: richard.faherty@wisconsin.gov
    Find us on Facebook: facebook.com/WIDNR

us
    Jun 2008
    Lake Country WI.
    MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
    222 times
    Interesting development going on here.
    Who is this Mark Dudzik and whom is his superior?
    Cathy Stepp?
    Last edited by Bumpstick; Sep 12, 2012 at 02:45 AM.

us
    Sep 2012
    new richmond, Wisconsin
    Garrett AT Gold
    1 times
    woo hoo...so Metal detecting has been banned on DNR land and any water way, Lakes, rivers creeks, streams. BUT, Wisconsin law says prospecting for gold allows pans, picks, shovels, sluice boxes and Metal Detectors....thus, if on DNR land metal detecting...carry a Pan with and say you were lookin for gold! loop hole found

http://wausauprospectors.com/images/...0Wisconsin.pdf

us
    Pulltab

Jan 2013
    Orland Park
    Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
    188 times
    I thi k i understand this. Dnr land is any lake or strem correct? What about other places such as parks or waysides?

I am asking because we are going to do some detecting as a family when we are up in the north woods early this summer.
    Thanks formthe help.

us
    Sep 2012
    new richmond, Wisconsin
    Garrett AT Gold
    1 times
    Pretty much dnr controls all water way and land. Parks forests, state and national. Just bring a pan with you and your good to go

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links