Metal Detecting banned on Wisconsin DNR lands

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
This is the new policy concerning metal detecting on DNR lands. This was apparently done without any public knowledge or input as of Nov 5, 2008.

You need to start contacting your legislators and the DNR to complain.

Using Metal Detectors on DNR Land
Metal detectors may be used on DNR land or waters only for locating specific lost personal items. A special permit is required.

Conditions of Permit
A property office may issue a metal detector permit only to a specific person or designee for the recovery of one or more specific lost personal items, which must be described in the permit application. The permit specifies a limited search area within a DNR-managed property and a specific time between May 1 and October 15 when the detector may be used.

Any proposed metal detecting within recorded archaeological sites requires review and approval by the DNR archaeologist (metal detecting is generally not permitted within reported burial areas, in any case).

Found Items
Any recovered item(s) must be presented and reported to the property office for comparison with the permitted recovery. The property office will keep all recovered items not belonging to the permittee.

Archaeological materials (50 years old and older) may not be removed from their locations.

How to Get a Permit
To get a metal detector permit, contact the manager of the property (park, forest, wildlife area, waterway, etc.) where you want to use the detector.

For more Information, ask Mark Dudzik, DNR archaeologist, (608) 266-3462.

Last Revised: Wednesday November 05 2008

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironically i read this and have been informed of the same since sometime around march of last year. I do not agree with it nor will i follow it. When i get time to do some detecting i will go out and do it. If its private property im asking permission, but if i find a good site on public land, its mine. Sorry state of wisconsin DNR, but if u dont care about me i dont care about you.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Mark Dudzik, DNR archaeologist ; The one that get a bill like this passed; needs to get of there fat easy chair and dig up there own finds.
And the 50 years age limit :icon_scratch: and a 1959 Lincoln Cent must not be removed? Give me a break :coffee2:

lokkenpa

Aug 8, 2008
Edmond, OK
Detector(s) used
MineLab e-Trac, Garrett Ace250, SunRay X-1, ProPointer
Does this include county and city parks or just state parks and public hunting grounds?

Phil

Old Relic

Oct 21, 2005
North Prairie, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 Minelab Advantage Tesoro Eldorado µMAX Tesoro Silver µMAX
Here is a description of what is included:

NR 45.02 Applicability. (1) Except when the context
provides otherwise, this chapter applies to any of the following:
(a) All lands, structures and property owned by the department.
(b) Lands owned by the state of Wisconsin which are under the
management, supervision and control of the department.
(c) Lands under easement to or lease by the state of Wisconsin
which are under the management, supervision and control of the
department.
(2) On lands the department owns but are under the supervision,
management and control of another entity pursuant to lease or
easement, the department may, as part of the lease or easement,
waive its jurisdiction in whole or in part under this chapter.
History: Cr. Register, December, 1983, No. 336, eff. 1−1−84; r. and recr. Register,

The link for the complete document is: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/code/nr/nr045.pdf

It appears that only DNR-controlled land, etc. is covered by this policy.

Relic aka Archaeological Material

mc223

Greenie
Jan 15, 2009
Riverton Ks.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
M-6
Here's an additional point of confusion from wis.gov

http://ww2.wisconsin.gov/state/lice...itTypes&selectedLicense=200210041322191371273

I would advise that all get educated on this matter. I just learned the other day that my local lake which is fed by the Wood River is part of the DNR's control. The park is maintained by the Village under the guidance of the DNR.
I was planning a visit to the local DNR for clarification. I was told by the Chief of police and the park supervisor that detecting was not an issue.

HOWEVER
Here is an interesting link:

http://www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com/metaldetectinglaws.html

lokkenpa

Aug 8, 2008
Edmond, OK
Detector(s) used
MineLab e-Trac, Garrett Ace250, SunRay X-1, ProPointer
I just received the following in an email from a fellow club member...

"Apparently, some of you haven’t heard as of yet. Water detecting has been closed down on WI owned water property. 99% of ALL WATER IN WI.

This stemmed from a phone in regards to this post on the DNR board. http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/ORG/LAND/parks/other/metaldetect.html. It stared with State parks and the way they phrased it. You can only go in to find a SPECIFIC lost item. All other must be turned in.

Then it stemmed to the phrase DNR managed lakes. Guess what, ALL navigable water is under their control. Can see how this is progressing? If you take the rule to mean only State parks, you will be very sadly mistaken. Ask any of the people who have called the DNR archie. I went a step further with John Broihahn and asked specifically what it means. At this time we are done in the water!!!"

Gettintoknowsomethin

Feb 15, 2009
Long Beach CA.
Detector(s) used
$49.99 Radio Shack
Well, with the DNR buying up all the open land in the state soon we wont be able to take our detectors out of the closet! I wonder how long it will be before the DNR finds a way to keep you from digging on your own property!. I noticed on their sight today they got more lake front acres yesterday up north!. Remember, if its fun its illegal in Wisconsin (Unless they can tax you on it!). I think we will have to become NIGHTSTOCKERS like they do in the UK!. The equipment already exists! I know as I have some! big goggles.jpg

Attachments

• big goggles.jpg
    big goggles.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 5,652
S

seger98

I wonder if my wife who is a registered Red Cliff Chippewa, can detect on these waters & lands without permit looking for items that are her ancestry.

P

pippinwhitepaws

seger98 said:
I wonder if my wife who is a registered Red Cliff Chippewa, can detect on these waters & lands without permit looking for items that are her ancestry.

yes, but....federal laws do apply on the rez...plus tribal laws...
"looking for items that are her ancestry" is the key phrase. i believe you would then be covered by the native american grave reparations act.
one of those grey areas that allowed some of the ruins here to be looted for beer money... :-\

S

seger98

pippinwhitepaws said:
seger98 said:

yes, but....federal laws do apply on the rez...plus tribal laws...
"looking for items that are her ancestry" is the key phrase. i believe you would then be covered by the native american grave reparations act.
one of those grey areas that allowed some of the ruins here to be looted for beer money... :-\

I'm not talking about metal detecting on any reservation, I'm talking on the same state land & in the water they are keeping everyone else from detecting, she can kill as many deer as she wants, put out 30 tip-ups, trap all the fishers she wants, why not metal detect too... Now mind you she doesn't do any of the aboved activities, but she could if she wanted to. I would just have her do that just to tick them off is all.

Old Relic

Oct 21, 2005
North Prairie, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 Minelab Advantage Tesoro Eldorado µMAX Tesoro Silver µMAX
seger98 said:

I've wondered the same thing as my wife is also a member of the Red Cliff band.

Relic

S

seger98

Old Relic said:
seger98 said:

I've wondered the same thing as my wife is also a member of the Red Cliff band.

Relic

When we get back to WI. in the spring we'll have to look into it! I'd love to have her do it right infront of them!

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
So what you're telling me is that facism has finally come to roost in Wisconsin ?? Ok, how can hunting be legal ?? these guys sling deadly poisonous lead into the woods, he!!, fisherman use toxins by rote. What would happen to all that DNR money if greenpeace went after the fishing industry in WI ?? By national statute, using toxic substances without proper permit & containment is a violation of EPA law. If they're gonna stop us from DIGGING UP LITTER, then they sure as HE!! better stop everyone else from intentionally leaving it behind. Boy, that'd dig into their pockets, then they wouldn't be able to pay those fat B@STARD archies. But we all must understand, that if it isn't ROTTING IN THE GROUND, it isn't history. I have for years advocated the issuance of a Metal-detecting permit in WI, say $10 a year, and they allow access to state parks and property. They do it for fishing and hunting, why not for us ?? I am so Pizzed off right now, I'm actually shaking. What happened to our beloved "land of the free" ??

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd hazard a guess that all Mr. Dudzik will do is be an office fixture. He'll never dig up anything.

Any takers?

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This makes me sick to see govt's local or state doing this.. a ablatant example of state govt at work..stripping tax payers of their simple rights while we sleep & dont forget you pay their salaries & put food on their table. resident & out of staters pay their licensing/hunting/fishing fees..all for their revenues & nice new vehicles, expansions etc. Now they have more revenue for people caught who violate their" LAWS".........Whats next?? banning sales of all detectors ?

PuddleJumper

Sep 19, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV, Fisher F5
Look at it this way, there is no way to go but up.

gold fish said:
I have for years advocated the issuance of a Metal-detecting permit in WI, say $10 a year, and they allow access to state parks and property. They do it for fishing and hunting, why not for us ??

I agree on permits, it weeds out the idiots. But not only should the DNR allow permits for MDing, they should also have training classes to get your permit....if they are going to do it for boats, hunting and everything else, its pretty much discrimination not to give us the same rights. Can anyone tell me what other activity they ban on DNR property that isn't illegal everywhere, I'd like to know.

This maybe a little out there but has anyone considered contacting the ACLU about MDing laws in general?

Oh, and if your going to write to anyone about the legalities of Mding on public property, it might not be a bad idea to include that you no longer have a reason to buy their park pass, whether it be a local or state government, we all know how their hurting for money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread