Update on Wisconsin DNR Issue - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Mar 2008

Re: Update on Wisconsin DNR Issue

Hear Hear!! I do agree that many archaeologists need to take a few steps in the MD direction. I have also met some great people and I have met some who are very arrogant, especially if they have a PhD. I have also learned to pick my battles and still smile and nod sometimes when I know it is a lost cause with someone.
    Ultimately, I would like to approach a few of the clubs and possibly have a summit of sorts by inviting officials from the state archaeologist office, the DNR, state representatives, and officials from Walker's administration to a combined club meeting. It would have to have rules and order because not only is that efficient but it is what they are used to dealing with. A free-for-all would ensure the officials all walking right out the door. At that meeting we could all- both sides- air our grievances and talk about where we would like to meet in the middle. Offer up the pros and cons of each other and potential solutions with residual consequences that only enhance each other's goals. Community involvement, open communication, sharing of information, invitations to co-author research or similar papers to be presented at conferences. It does have the potential for real earth-shattering shifts in both fields.
    -e

Feb 2007
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Whites V3 and XLT
    845 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (3)

Quote Originally Posted by fibberjibber
    Watercolor, just put a query in to the agency you donated it to. They should be able to track it and let you know the status. Tell them you were wondering if there was any research done on it like dating or such. I know there are a bunch of museums that would love to have one of those on display!
    -e
    Thanks fibberjibber, I just sent off a query this morning. . .

us
    Nov 2010
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by fibberjibber
    One last thing to throw out there... I think we could develop a community between MDers and Dirt Diggers that could benefit both parties AND do some nice things to get the public involved too.

Lets keep this conversation going and nurture it so we can really get this done!
    -e
    A real big double ditto on this comment!! My two cents from Milwaukee.

us
    Mar 2009
    E-Trac and Sun-Ray Probe
    3 times

I will keep my fingers crossed!

us
    Jun 2005
    Chippewa Falls
    Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
    24 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Just a reminder that the Spring DNR meeting is set for April 11, 2011 at your respective county seats. Locations are differant in each county. I will be attending the meeting at the Chippewa Falls Middle School. Question #74. Do you support the DNR establishing a permit system whereby participants may purchase an annual metal detecting permit for the sum of $20.00 and be allowed to operate metal detectors on all state owned or managed property and properties purchased with stewartship money. Please try and make it to the spring meetings in your respective counties and voice your support for our hobby.

Mar 2008

I agree whole-heartedly. This is the first important step. But I would encourage EVERYONE to write Gov. Walker and your state representatives after the meeting to emphasize how careful we are to leave no trace, our holes are about as small as planting a tulip bulb, and we carry all dug trash out with us. I think 20 bucks is a reasonable request but I would ask where the money would be spent. I would not think the DNR will be getting rich off of our permits but it is still our right to know how asn where it will be spent.
    -Eric

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links