Lake Michigan shorelines in Wisconsin
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    May 2010

Lake Michigan shorelines in Wisconsin

While I'm new to this site, I have many years of TH under my belt. Yesterday, I ran into a law enforcement officer walking on a Lake Michigan beach near Milwaukee. He did not say anything to me, but I was a bit concerned he was going to pull out his pad and start writing or kick me out.

With all the changing regulations in Wisconsin, can anyone shed some light on the legality or rights of metal detecting on the sandy shorelines of Lake Michigan?

Where can you find information from the DNR as it pertains to public rights on the sandy shorelines,(not in the water), either on public or private lands?

This is a great site, especially for the folks in our state. I look forward to contributing. Meanwhile, your help is appreciated.

us
    Jun 2008
    Lake Country WI.
    MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
    222 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Lake Michigan shorelines in Wisconsin

Glad to have you join in on the Wisconsin forum.
    Since Johnny law didn't bother you I wouldn't worry.
    I have never been accosted by the law for running my detector.
    Some parks are a different story since they manicure the lawn.
    Ask before you dig and fill all your holes. Treat it like it was your own front yard.
    There may be some law some where but I haven't seen or read any.

Feb 2008
    9 times

Back in the middle seventies the Wisconsin Association of Treasure Hunters met with the Milwaukee parks commissioner and pleaded the case for detecting in the city parks. So by their efforts all can detect in the parks there with no problems. Just fill in your holes and pratice making their lawn look like your lawn. It is best to use a screw driver as a probe. It takes pratice but you will find that if done right no one will ever know that you were there.

us
    onfire

Nov 2004
    Wisconsin
    250 2500
    1334 times

I've done many inland lakes by asking for a permit get one at the local DNR office for that area it has restrictions but fair most have time s when to hunt so you don't bother the bikini crowd. Never heard about lake Michigan though.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    883 times

Quote Originally Posted by onfire
    I've done many inland lakes by asking for a permit get one at the local DNR office for that area it has restrictions but fair most have time s when to hunt so you don't bother the bikini crowd. Never heard about lake Michigan though.
    You aren't going to get one anymore from the DNR, thanks to their archaeologist, Mark Dudzik. All DNR controlled lands are off limits, and we are being portrayed as grave robbers and looters.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Sponsored Links