Lake Michigan shorelines in Wisconsin

McRad

May 16, 2010
While I'm new to this site, I have many years of TH under my belt. Yesterday, I ran into a law enforcement officer walking on a Lake Michigan beach near Milwaukee. He did not say anything to me, but I was a bit concerned he was going to pull out his pad and start writing or kick me out.

With all the changing regulations in Wisconsin, can anyone shed some light on the legality or rights of metal detecting on the sandy shorelines of Lake Michigan?

Where can you find information from the DNR as it pertains to public rights on the sandy shorelines,(not in the water), either on public or private lands?

This is a great site, especially for the folks in our state. I look forward to contributing. Meanwhile, your help is appreciated.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to have you join in on the Wisconsin forum.
Since Johnny law didn't bother you I wouldn't worry.
I have never been accosted by the law for running my detector.
Some parks are a different story since they manicure the lawn.
Ask before you dig and fill all your holes. Treat it like it was your own front yard.
There may be some law some where but I haven't seen or read any.

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the middle seventies the Wisconsin Association of Treasure Hunters met with the Milwaukee parks commissioner and pleaded the case for detecting in the city parks. So by their efforts all can detect in the parks there with no problems. Just fill in your holes and pratice making their lawn look like your lawn. It is best to use a screw driver as a probe. It takes pratice but you will find that if done right no one will ever know that you were there.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done many inland lakes by asking for a permit get one at the local DNR office for that area it has restrictions but fair most have time s when to hunt so you don't bother the bikini crowd. Never heard about lake Michigan though.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
onfire said:
I've done many inland lakes by asking for a permit get one at the local DNR office for that area it has restrictions but fair most have time s when to hunt so you don't bother the bikini crowd. Never heard about lake Michigan though.

You aren't going to get one anymore from the DNR, thanks to their archaeologist, Mark Dudzik. All DNR controlled lands are off limits, and we are being portrayed as grave robbers and looters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread