Wisconsin DNR spring Meetings

Steve0

Feb 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI, Minelab excalibur
Hello to all Wisconsin residents just to keep you up to date on what’s going on
with Wisconsinites rights to detect on state controlled properties.
The bill that has been introduced like 2 years ago is no more as far as I know.
So we at Midstate metal detector club joined the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation.
And they have and are helping, and also have a lobbyist working on this.
So here is where we are, on April 11 2011 at 7 PM in every county in Wisconsin
the DNR are having there spring meetings. There is a question being brought up
to get the approval to continue working on this area. The question is how do you
feel about a $20.00 yearly license to be allowed to detect on state controlled
areas.
If you are for this please call you local DNR and find out where your meeting is
going to be held and please attend. We need a big turn out.
Thank you Steve

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think $20 would be a fair deal. . . and as an out-of-state resident, I would even be willing to
pay a few bucks more AND buy a State Park Pass for the year. . . as I have done in the past
until 2009. . . (and we all know what happened then).

Are these DNR meetings open to out-of-state residents as well?

OP
OP
Steve0

Steve0

Feb 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
I would think so I dont know alot about them was just told to get the word out I think they are like meetings to see what the public think about the questions.

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin
From what I read, the $20.00 permit would be issued after "some type of educational instruction or certification"; however, "Persons would not be allowed to disturb or retrieve historical artifacts and doing so would result in the loss of the permit to use a metal detector on state owned lands."

I guess it comes down to their definition of "historical artifacts". Do we know what the timeline is for what they deem to be "historical" as of today's date?

This is the question listed under PUBLIC & PRIVATE LAND USE STUDY COMMITTEE ADVISORY QUESTIONS:

Question 74- Metal Detecting on State Lands (# 700110): It is currently not legal to use metal detectors on state owned lands unless authorized for the purpose of retrieving personal property. The current rule was enacted over concerns about people using metal detectors to locate artifacts and possibly taking the artifacts or destroying the site so that it could not be recorded and preserved properly to reconstruct historical events. Under this suggested permitting system, participants would be required to have some type of educational instruction or certification before being issued a permit. Persons would not be allowed to disturb or retrieve historical artifacts and doing so would result in the loss of the permit to use a metal detector on state owned lands.

Do you support the DNR establishing a permit system whereby participants may purchase an annual metal detecting permit for the sum of $20 and be allowed to operate metal detectors on all state owned or managed property and properties purchased with Stewardship money?
74. YES_______ NO______

Fire Fighter 43

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Wisconsin SE
Detector(s) used
Deus II, Equinox 800 & Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be more than happy to pay the $20.00. Does this mean we could hunt state parks and any waterways without a problem? Do we need to attend the meetings to voice our stand on this issue?I guess I would like to know what we need to do at the meeting.

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes
The State defines anything more than 50 years old as historical. Heck, that's why I won't go to State parks in this State, they might declare me an historical artifact and not let me leave. :laughing9:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
lets see -- first you have to go to a "class" then you shell out $20 for a permit - and still pay the park entrance fees as well -then by law "legally" you can not keep anything over 50 years old -- 1961 or newer only items * --(with only 1961 to 64 silver coins being legal to find and 40% 1965 / 70 halves thus ****most silver coins and old interesting items are off limits ) --so basically its a $20 "fee" to hunt clad and modern dropped items in your own state parks that your state taxes and park enterance fees already upkeep -- man, what a deal.

OP
OP
Steve0

Steve0

Feb 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Good thought , I think you have to be there to give your yes or no vote.
As for finding coins 61 or newer I dont think coins are included in this so they could be any age. but dont know for sure

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Far too vague. Question should be if DNR should be allowed to keep operating at all as a legal entity.

So I get a permit. Walk into the state controlled property. Get a nice signal but it turns out it's a copper culture knife two inches deep. I thought I was digging a shell casing or a quarter but no, someone who died 4,000 years ago just screwed me out of my 20 dollar permit by dropping their blade there while they were hunting game, probably out of season out of season.

Oh wait, can't happen here, not like that.

"Persons would not be allowed to disturb or retrieve historical artifacts and doing so would result in the loss of the permit to use a metal detector on state owned lands."

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes
This is typical DNR. Their budget is facing cuts and this permit business is just a way for them to seperate us from more money while giving us nothing but useless paper and setting us up for big fines they'll get to keep.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
lets see -- first you have to go to a "class" then you shell out $20 for a permit - and still pay the park entrance fees as well -then by law "legally" you can not keep anything over 50 years old -- 1961 or newer only items * --(with only 1961 to 64 silver coins being legal to find and 40% 1965 / 70 halves thus ****most silver coins and old interesting items are off limits ) --so basically its a $20 "fee" to hunt clad and modern dropped items in your own state parks that your state taxes and park enterance fees already upkeep -- man, what a deal.

Ivan, you have pretty well summed it up.

And all this was started by a DNR staff archaeologist without any laws being passed.

Even with all the hoopla in Madison right now, I'd still take the legislature over an administrative rule. That's the proper process for making laws and rules.

Here's the link to the meeting locations:
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/nrboard/congress/calendar/2011/2011 Spring District Meeting Schedule.pdf

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
oh make sure to note at the meetings to the state "ARCHIE" TYPE folks ---that under FEDERAL ARPA RULES * (WHERE THEY GET BASIS OF THEIR 50 OR 100 YEAR "RULES" FROM) that coins were exclued * by name from being subject to those rules in the actual ARPA law itself --so all "old coins" are still perfectly "legal" to find and keep even if their over 50 or 100 years old. (GOOD NEWS FOR US METAL DETECTORIST.-- let us find our old coins in peace)

Fire Fighter 43

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Wisconsin SE
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the meetings where April 11 the link shows them all in March. Do they meet once a month? Do you need to vote in your district?

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
SteveO, I appreciate you keeping us Wisconsinites up to date. I intend on going to the Milw meeting on the 11th. Does any one else plan on attending the Milw meeting?

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like the state I am from , they have done and come up with no matter how dumb a plan to find a way to get more money .
And it is not going to stop as they are wondering how long it will be in till the ones up the food chain start getting rid of there jobs to try to keep theirs .

This is not going to end well for them in the long run !

Fire Fighter 43

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Wisconsin SE
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on attending the Washington County meeting. Does someone need to speak on the issue or do we just vote? Our issue was on page 43 of the voting sheet.

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin
Fire Fighter 43 said:
I plan on attending the Washington County meeting. Does someone need to speak on the issue or do we just vote? Our issue was on page 43 of the voting sheet.

On the first page :

Everyone will be given an opportunity to comment on the questions, but you will be limited to a maximum of three (3) minutes for each question that you wish to discuss. If comments become repetitive the hearing officer may limit comments to issues not previously presented. No argument or rebuttal will be allowed on DNR rule proposals. Written comments on all DNR rule proposals will be accepted until April 11, 2011.

You have to register first in order to get the questionnaire and ballots.

If you plan to vote for delegates, you need to be a resident of the county in which you are attending the meeting, at least 18 years of age and have a photo ID.

milco

Nov 4, 2010
PJ in WI said:
SteveO, I appreciate you keeping us Wisconsinites up to date. I intend on going to the Milw meeting on the 11th. Does any one else plan on attending the Milw meeting?
I will try to make the Milwaukee meeting also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread