not from Wi. just across the border in

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
:D Bring the little one w/ you!!! There must be a lot of places to Hunt in the UP!

You'll be finding "Stuff" soon! Don't give up!

JOE

OP
OP
thompy

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
Buscadaro i don't have the patience for the 3 year old, i take my son, he,s 8yrs old bought him a 3300, but he is also a motor mouth just like his little sister, hey dad, hey dad, hey dad, so these hunts don't usually last more than a hour or so. yeah it been a dry spell but ill never give up this hobby, i love researching the history end of it. i hatted history is school. HH Thompy

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Funny how that works isn't it ? Was no great history fan, but now that I'm getting older and realize that we are all immersed in "history" past, present, and future, it takes on new meaning

Love digging into all the history I can find about the NE Wisconsin region. Traditional history pretty much ignores all the stuff that took place before Wisconsin was officially Wisconsin, but there was a LOT of activity up here, from the mid 1600's on ! Trading posts, missionaries, lumbering, military forts / outposts. Kinda makes you wish you could bulldoze downtown green bay, scraping off and detecting 1 inch at a time !

Diggem'

OP
OP
thompy

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
hey Diggemall did you get to Oconto falls while they were tearing up the streets, i wanted to but we were working 6 to 7 days a week, getting a Navy ship ready for launch, suppose to be tons of big wigs comming. This ship is a big deal for the Navy. HH Thompy

OP
OP
thompy

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
that is what one of they guy at work was telling me, havent been through there my self since around christmas.

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
The Highway 41 bypass around Peshtigo and Oconto will be happening in the next few years. Right now, Real Estate agents from the DOT are working on acquisitions of houses and land that will be affected (where the new bypass will be running). I'm sure there'd be some good MDing when the construction crews start demoing the houses/barns along the new 41 corridor. Once the topsoil gets stripped and stockpiled, you wouldn't have to worry about "cutting plugs" and making the site look untouched on either the topsoil piles or the exposed subgrade.
But, before you do any hunting....make sure you get permission from both contractor and the state (if you see a state employee out there, ask them and they should pass the request on to the project manager). Just make sure to tell them you'd only be there when there was no work going on (construction zone hazards).

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Arakronn;

Naive question: Why should one seek permission to hunt on what is obviously state property that is also obviously not under any form of "protection" ? As long as one does not interfere with the work in progress (i.e. hunts while the crews are off) I don't see the need.

Diggem'

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
I guess "asking permission" from the contractor isn't something you need to do....but I would advise that it be done. Maybe I should have phrased as "let the contractor know what you're doing there and why". Although a contractor doesn't own the land, they are responsible for it and it is their work site. Some contractors can be very particular about people on their construction site if they have no business being there.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Yeah.

As far as I know, you can't be prosecuted for "trespass" on most public works type projects, unless the site is secured and posted as such for some reason. Vandalism, destruction of property, perhaps some form of interfering type thing, but otherwise, getting "clearance" is a courtesy, not necessarily a requirement.

Not trying to be boistrous, but folks on govt payroll all too often forget that "their" projects are OUR projects, "their" turf is OUR turf, and that they are NOT doing us a favor when they fulfill a request that is within the function of their job description - they are DOING WHAT WE PAY THEM TO DO. (I can cite horror stories of school districts, municipal streets departments, etc., trying to shut the public out of decision-making processes, and so on)

All that said, the best way to GET respect is to GIVE it - "I pay your wages" won't get you real far with anyone other than your own employees :)

Diggem'

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
Uh oh....I think one of us has a can of worms and the other has the can opener. I'm not sure we want to get into a debate, even if it's a friendly one, about governments and "I pay your wages".
No, typically you can't be prosecuted for trespassing on state prop. However, on large scale const. projects, crews work an avg. 12 hr days, 6 days a week. If you go swing coil when the contractor isn't around, go right ahead. But, if you're out there when the contractor is working, OSHA regs. apply. Bring your steel toed boots (and we all know the effect they have on a MD), hard hat, and a safety vest...that's the minimum. Even if you're not working on the project, you're still in a const. zone and if you are MDing, chances are you're not paying too much attention to the possibility of heavy equip. that may be near. They are trying to do a job and watching out for bystanders makes it that much more difficult. But, again, that would only be the case if you were out there the same time as the contractors. If you're out there all by yourself (or with a MD buddy)....HH.

A quick thought on decision-making and the public. Typically, the public is involved. But, think about what happens when you put a large group of uninformed people together and ask for their opinion. You get a large number of opinions. Give them 2 options, and you'll get some wanting one, some wanting the other, and some wanting another option. Not a very efficient way of reaching a conclusion.

"Our turf". Well...it's difficult to work with sightseers and curious citizens distracting one from work. Highway const. can be a rather dangerous job. Babysitting people who have no business being there makes it that much worse.

Hmmm.....I pay taxes, I work for the state, so.....I help pay my wages!

Ok...I'm off my soapbox. I think I went on a rather skewed tangent. Sorry about that.

Oh....Hwy 64 / 141 in Pound will be getting reworked as well....I think it'll be next summer.

K-Man

Apr 12, 2007
marinette, wi
i see your from menominee im just across the bridge in marinette i dunno if u want to but did u ever try taking the kids to the park and do somemd'in there

OP
OP
thompy

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
Hey K-man Ive been down at Red Arrow the last couple of weeks, working the woods to the south, not much into modern clad, looking for the older stuff, ill be down there this weekend, probally work the north side between the beech and trail, Ive tried Hennes park , i wood think tons of old coins but the trash is unbelievable. have to hit the woods to GB my machine. haven't try-ed my T-2 down there yet, my son has been out with me a couple of times so far, but losses intrest after a while, picking up clinkers on the beach. well p.m. me if you want to get together

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread