Wisconsin Detecting

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I'm over near the dells. As far as the state law goes, public land is just that, unless otherwise posted. Be careful of state parks tho', make sure you stop by the park office and ask the details before you dig.

If you end up near the dells, let me know.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Just be careful digging. Sandlots,play areas and playing fields ok ,(except soccer fields) ,woodchips fine,.....any manicured lawn...no no! The schools are public property so make sure you dont go on parochial school land without permission. Good luck and if any of us cheese heads see you we will stop and say hi!

CaptainMorgan

Mar 4, 2007
Western Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Titan 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stopped by the New Richmond City Works and the director was impressed that I asked about regulations. His only concern was that I always fill in my holes. I'm sure Clayton is probably similiar to NR.
I'll drop you a line 49er Clayton is about 30 miles from me.

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
49er

I hunt alot of schools in our county. If I remember, Clayton is in Barron County right next door to Chippewa County where I live and work as a deputy sheriff. Let me know when you come up. We can set up a hunt. There is alot of places to go in my county.

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
oops....screwed up there....

Chippewa County where I live and work as a deputy sheriff
SCORE!!!! ;)
I'm moving. Here in Brown County, if they even see you with a detector, they'll have a fit....even if you're just doing surface-finds. The only time you can get permission to hunt anything remotely county-owned is if you get a special permit for something you lost. Even then, I think they'd be keeping a close eye on you....just to make sure you don't pick up that wheatie or pull-tab (even an eyeball find) that wasn't named on the permit.

Skybox7

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2003
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm wondering if the rules have changed. Two years ago, at the Green Bay city hall, I paid $5.00 and got a permit and a ton of rules & restrictions for hunting in Green Bay.
When I inquired at the Allouez village hall the gentleman asked only that I fill in my holes.
Being out of the hobby for awhile I just wondered if things have changed a lot.
Green Isle park was a great place to look, especially after the annual car show and some of the baseball fields were fun too.
Hope things haven't changed too much!

Steve0

Feb 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI, Minelab excalibur
Green bay city park I dont think have changed you still have to buy a permit. But like they said No NO on brown county parks

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Milwaukee, county. Never had any problems on public schools, or county or city parks. As long as you fill up the holes no one bothers you. In 2007 I had a police officer stop his squad car and ask me how I was doing and was interested in getting into the hobby of metal detecting.
Was interested is all the rules they have up in Green Bay. Never ran into that down here. Been coin hunting for close to 20 yrs now and never had anyone tell me I could not detect
Good Luck and a Happy 2008

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread