Hurley WI revisited

Skybox7

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2003
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Just read the post about Hurley and the "Great White Way", (Silver Street).
I grew up in Ironwood, in the 40's & 50's, just across the river from Hurley and recall very well the sights and sounds of those days. The town has quieted down a lot but as of 1979 there were still quite a few "interesting" spots around, The Club Carnival being the main attraction.
As a kid we used to hunt Partidge in the fall, and one of our favorite spots were the banks of the Montreal River which seperates Ironwood & Hurley. We would start walking the river just north of the two towns and would always come upon what we considered "hobo jungles", small campsites made by men either looking for work or begging or stealing something for their next meal. There were always 3 or 4 of these on either side of the river and their appearance changed frequently so I'm sure a lot of different people passed through the camps. Although I'm sure it has become very densely overgrown by now, I just wonder if anyone has ever considered, or has hunted the area.
I'm sure these men didn't have any money to speak of but I'll bet they dropped a lot of other interesting things.
Might be a fun days outing!

monkeymann

Jan 14, 2008
my mothers family had a farm about 10 miles south of Hurley in OMA...accross from the Oma community center....was in the family for over 100yrs...up until about 6yrs ago....I always wanted to metal detect it with a good detector...had a cheap one that I tried when I was a kid but didn't find anything except trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread