...don't you laugh...don't you do it...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
National Forests differ from National Parks in that they are there for public use. In the George Washington National Forrest in Virginia you can pan for gold cut dead trees, fish, hunt or just about anything else non-destructive. I asked the same question before panning for gold.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it’s private land that is somehow managed in a weird way, I would assume any hiking, visiting, digging, etc, is up to the private land owner or trustee

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
If it's timber land---I've made quite a few attempts to get permission from Timber Companies, all failed. They are in it for the money, and don't want anyone there for any reason, unless they are getting paid for it. Especially if it's a reason worthy of asking permission to do something - it must be something they can get paid for! Liability is always the excuse.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's timber land---I've made quite a few attempts to get permission from Timber Companies, all failed. They are in it for the money, and don't want anyone there for any reason, unless they are getting paid for it. Especially if it's a reason worthy of asking permission to do something - it must be something they can get paid for! Liability is always the excuse.

Wouldn’t the land owner though have the ultimate say? Usually the land owner leases out land to the Timber Company, so the landowner is the landlord and gets to set the rules. I would maybe contact the owner directly. Or is the timber company the owner?

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Managed forest land is an angle where the land owner/timber company doesn't pay full taxes on the land.
With Managed forest they only harvest like 1% of the timber per year over lets say 100 years.
You have sustainable timber harvests instead of clear cut for pure profit. Which they did in years past.
If you had to pay like $1.00 per year; per acre; on a million acres it adds up to big bucks to hold reserves.
Better business practice and better for the environment.
Out West they allow for prospecting on some of the timber land and I always use a detector prospecting.
Plenty of Copper Nuggets to look for. You can have all the old beer cans.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ohhh i get it. I thought it was leased out forest land. I get it now.
Man, that’s a tough question.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Folks have some land up in Price County and many years ago there were logging camps on it, back in the days of the Big White Pines. Old time loggers cut down the pine, today there are few scattered White Pine (seedlings from the old days). But in the 1980's they let some come and detect the old camp sites, they even showed the locations to the people with the metal detectors since their father and his brothers were born there. Well to make a long story short, they were with and items such as logger stamps and oxen shoes where concealed and walked off with when they left. Now this is according to someone who is dead today, but I remember them telling me the story. If it was me starting this post, I would just go for a walk in the woods, you never know what you will find!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
National Forests differ from National Parks in that they are there for public use. In the George Washington National Forrest in Virginia you can pan for gold cut dead trees, fish, hunt or just about anything else non-destructive. I asked the same question before panning for gold.

Not all National forests are the same, In Florida you can detect the camp grounds and that is it in Florida National Forests.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Tiredman; Just go and enjoy the wonder of our National Forests.

Remember the old saying to fill all your holes'

Enjoy the MossKeetoes!

deltatango

Aug 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, whatever you call it, it is still private land. I am told permission is given at least 50% of the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions