Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I would check with you experts on this one. My son and I are doing a fishing trip in Northern Wisconsin (Boulder Junction) in June. Of course we are going to detect also. ;D
Are there any special metal detecting laws we should know about like:
1) State parks are off limits.
2) All finds must be turned over to local treasure hunters.
3) You MUST detect while drinking beer & eating cheese. ;) ;D
Are city and county parks o.k.? Schools?
Thanks for any input.
-MM-

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check for local ordinances where you are detecting and ask for permission before. I hunt schools, parks and fairgrounds around our county where I live in Chippewa County Wis. If you get my way, look me up and maybe we can swing a coil for a few hrs.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
ModernMiner said:
I thought I would check with you experts on this one. My son and I are doing a fishing trip in Northern Wisconsin (Boulder Junction) in June. Of course we are going to detect also. ;D
Are there any special metal detecting laws we should know about like:
1) State parks are off limits.
2) All finds must be turned over to local treasure hunters.
3) You MUST detect while drinking beer & eating cheese. ;) ;D
Are city and county parks o.k.? Schools?
Thanks for any input.
-MM-

First you must check in at the border with a Gypsy and pay her much seelver for her exceeeelent tour guide service.
This includes a special blessing of the detectors sdo your machine will find many rusty relics....
1)State parks are fine if you give Geepsy silver to bribe the rangers .,..and a picnic basket of food....
2) You are almost right on this one...we only take 1/2
3) Cheese and beer are standard fair.....you must not leave pulltabs thoi
All schools and city parks are open to detecting unless posted otherwise and we stay off manicured lawns

You must give 10% of any gold caches you find to the first gypsy you see....this will give you many years of continued good luck.

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
Welcome to Wisconsin.The land of cow $hit and beer farts.The home of 5 billion mosquitoes and 3 fish.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone.
I'll start making my cheese head hat next week. ;D

Gypsy,
You're letting me off pretty cheap Girl. I was expecting to give you 50% of my gold finds. ;)
No problem on the pull tabs, I use them as Musky lures. ;)

jimmatt_43 said:
Welcome to Wisconsin.The land of cow $hit and beer farts.The home of 5 billion mosquitoes and 3 fish.

I thought it was 5 billion FISH and only 3 mosquitoes? :o That sucks!

I'm sure I'll be digging up a billion lead sinkers too. Oh Boy.

Thanks all.
-MM-

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
Really ,it is a lovely state we have.The fishing should be good up there.Most of the snow should be gone by then too.
Hope you have a great trip,
Jim

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jimmatt_43 said:
Really ,it is a lovely state we have.The fishing should be good up there.Most of the snow should be gone by then too.
Hope you have a great trip,
Jim

Thank Jim.
My family has been going to the same fishing lodge since the 1950's. I love it up there. The lodge & cabins are the originals and built in the 1920's. It's become a family tradition which I'm hoping my kids will continue. I have some old 8mm films of me up there when I was about 5 or 6 years old. ;D
Heck, I may find some of the same coins my family dropped. ;D
Looking forward to it.
-MM-

S

seger98

As far as Forest Service land, you CAN detect in improved areas only, i.e. campground sites, parking areas, man made paths, and the like. I HAVE asked for permission on Forest Service land and that's what I was told.

As far as county land, being you will be in Vilas County......I have never been questioned by anyone who has seen me that works for the county.

I don't do school grounds or city parks, so I don't know about those. I leave THOSE areas for the other 500,000 detectorists ;)

There are huge tracts of WI owned land up around Boulder that you can MD on without a permit. Sorry Doug, but being out here in AZ I don't have my Vilas Co. platt book with me so I don't know offhand what it's called. But it IS different from other WI owned land. I'm sure I'll see you over in Boulder at the Flea Market, hopefully we can get together and maybe take a trip up to the U.P and find some copper!

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Hey, MM, drop a line when you're comin' thru. If you're headed anywhere nera the dells, that's my neighborhood, I'm thinkin' on starting a guide service this summer, I got 7 smallmouth bass last season that were over 6lbs. I have a few spots I could hook ya up with. I also know some great areas to MD in the immediate area. Even if you don't swing thru here, drop me a line, maybe we'll come see you !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread