hey you wisc people

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
Bomber. I know what a fib is and I know what a flib is but what are fips. I was going to buy the dfx from your buddy last week but was side tracked do to the military last week. Well while I was out detecting in KY, I ran into a man who had both the dfx and minelab and now I don't know which to buy.

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a guy to ask is dfxgreg he has both,i'll ask him to chime in..........ron sells both

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gregs on online now but i dropped him a pm,i'm sure he'll respond

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how'd ya do in KY?

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
hey, go with the Explorer, It has a learning curve but it will pay up in long run.

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another Goio in wisconsin?i met your brother in il,makes a mean arracharra

Hybridcruiser

Jun 11, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Buy a fisher Cz 21..that way you can do land or water..I'M dumping my 1280x and hope to get one of those CZ21 before to long..hope to have it just in time for the warm weather and Browns Lake here I come ;D

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bomber. I went to KY for 3 days. Did not know where I was going. Only able to detect for 1 1/2 hours. I found an old school 1900, that was still in use. Another detector guy was there with a dfx. He has been hunting there for 18 years. He uses both the minelab and dfx. He suggested going with the se. After talking to him for 45 minutes, I finally started detecting for the first time since last October. I found $2.45 in clad and part of a wrist band from a watch. It came out of the ground gold, got a little excited but short lived.

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Goio. I see you have an se. Why did you choose that over the dfx? How hard/long is (was) the learning curve. Are you more than happy with the depth?

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Hybrid. The site your'e talking about. If your driving south, is it on the west side of the street. When do you plan on going there?

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pm sent,your turn fib & flibs?

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I think either detector will do fine. Here is a little of what to expect from both...remember I know the dfx a lot more than se...but I'll give it a shot...

Dfx first....
pros

has a very fast response time, which is great in trash especially with a smaller coil such as the Eclipse 5.3

Depth meter reads in inches

Pinpointing a breeze...you can simply hold trigger in and when bars are exactly in line at shallowest reading...dig! Also trigger can simply be pushed forward in pinpoint mode.

Tone id

Wide variety of accessories such as coils, covers and so on.

On screen icons which are helpful at first can be turned off also.

Accessories are reasonably priced.

Cons
The dfx does have problems with emi, you can try one frequency or lower sens. but often dfx does simply not want to play!

Personally running the dfx and se side by side, air tests, ground tests, the dfx on average coin size objects expect 5-7 inches,,, I hear a few claim more...a very few... I received at least 30-50 private letters of people trying every program and still maxing ou there.

Now the se Pros

Depth..without a doubt the se is deeper...I have air tested to 13 inches and had targets already at 10 inches...

I like the design and balancing..

Tone id

Less digital numbers make for easier target id

Quality

I changed to the 8" Minelab coil and pinpointing seems much better

Cons

The pinpointing can be a little difficult because if you set detector down in pinpoint it starts blaring out sounds...so simply depress when you set detector down..my head hurt just writing this!

The depth display does not show inches...just a black bar.

Accessories as well as detector very expensive.

I swing both usually each hunt... Up to now not a solid opinion but the dfx responds faster, and picks up jewelry easier... The se has me digging deeper holes... When I clad hunt it can be very close...but usually dfx gets the nod...slow hunting and fighting off emi se wins there...remember I do not have a lot of time in with se so this can change...this is just personal opinion and me trying to be honest...hope it helps you decide...Good luck! Gregg

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Greg. Thank you for your input. The guy I ran into in KY said the same thing about the dfx being better for jewelry. He suggested going with the se though. I might have to buy both. PJ

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
Hey PJ,

Like Gregg said, the Explorer goes deep!! if you are a coin shooter then DXF would do but if you're a Silver freak then the SE is your weapon of choice. with the SE you need to go LOW and SLOW. also go by depth and tone, the depth meter is in inches and it will be at 12" when fully blank. you can download the SE Simulator here http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,124776.0.html

Attachments

• SE.jpg
    SE.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 380
  • SE.jpg
    SE.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 371
  • SE Control Panel.JPG
    SE Control Panel.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 370
  • Depth Indicator.JPG
    Depth Indicator.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 353
  • SE Digital Numbers.JPG
    SE Digital Numbers.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 365

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
PJ in WI said:
Greg. Thank you for your input. The guy I ran into in KY said the same thing about the dfx being better for jewelry. He suggested going with the se though. I might have to buy both. PJ

It is nice to open trunk and see both! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread