Ancient Coins Found in WI

JDTHR

May 14, 2008
Hello,

Has anyone that you know of found any ancient coins in or around Wisconsin? There were some ancient coins that I have heard of being found in WI. People generally tend to think that if they find any coins that old (such as ancient Roman coins) in WI or other places in the U.S. that they have to have been lost at some later date. But any archaeologist will tell you that you should not assume such things, but research each site or claim professionally or you will destroy any evidence that could have been proof of ancient exploration in places such as Wisconsin.

There have been really old items found in many places in the U.S., including MN, IA, WI, MI, IL, OH. More and more, there appears to be more evidence showing that ancient peoples came to (and left) America long before Columbus. There was a post in TreasureNet a while ago by someone in WI (Badger Bart) who said that he had found 2 ancient coins in a farmyard in WI. I'd like to believe that the coins he found were really ancient. So, if anyone can put him in touch with me, I'd like to try to set that account straight.

Another thing to mention is that when people DO find such coins, they seem to think that they are fake or that they were planted there for some reason. An expert in ancient coins (a specialized field) needs to look at the coins to authenticate them. There are ways of telling one thing or another when finds such as this are made, but experts need to examine what they can and bear in mind that such coins found in this way should NOT be cleaned (except by perhaps a quick wash off with water, but sometimes it is important to leave some of the original soil on them for verification.

A word of caution: Now, I would like to caution people about the use of the word "ancient." It really does not apply to coins from the 1800's or so. Generally, people tend to think of ancient as before 500 AD or about the time of the fall of the Roman empire. I feel that I should mention this because there are some people who have the habit of calling anything 'old', "ancient." (Just so there's no confusion here)

Anyway, if you know of anything that fits this topic please do post and/or let me know via email. Thank you. :thumbsup:

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i read a roman sword, viking axe found around lake Gogebic, Phonecian coins on isle royal, and ather artifacts around the UP, i have know doubt early cultures were around other than the native americans

OP
OP
J

JDTHR

May 14, 2008
Hello Thompy,

I've heard of a Roman sword being found, but not in Wisconsin. But I am still in the process of learning more about such finds in WI. There is a book or books that record many of the finds of this type, and I have not gotten that book yet. Thought I had that info at hand to share, but I see that I will have to locate it so that I can post just what that is.

Also, I've heard of reports of finds of Viking relics, but do not know of any being found right in Wisconsin at this time. Yes, I have heard of so-called Phoenician coins having been found in WI, but not at Isle Royale. What I have heard of being found at Isle Royale are Roman coins. I think that the source for some of the things like this that we are discussing is that book that I was referring to. I'll see if I can find that info and post it here.

And, yes, I too, have heard of some things being found up in the U.P. There was supposedly a Roman medallion found up there in 1939 by someone who was working for the CCC. I need to find out more info about that though. I want to compile as much data on each of these finds as possible. As for the native Americans, that too, is a subject that I would like to investigate further. But more so on the earliest of them in the WI area. Thanks for the reply.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
was suppose to be a Viking or Norse settlement around MN, if stuff dont fit current thoughts on archeology, i think it just gets trashed, the one book that was intresting was Michigan's prehistory mysteries, something like that. don't know how it all really fit together but very intresting

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool stuff alfa,always thought about a road trip there to check it out

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fortunatly its not too far away. I work with someone in school for archaeology that actually worked one the the sites around there.

OP
OP
J

JDTHR

May 14, 2008
Hello All,

Here is what I was going to post before...

The Sourcebook Project, P.O. Box 107, Glen Arm, MD 21057

The book is 'Ancient Man: A Handbook of Puzzling Artifacts'. It is by William R. Corliss and is 792 pages, Hardcover, for $23.95. It has 240 illustrations.

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sourcebk.htm

I was told about this book and the source for it by a man who grew up at Lake Mills, right at Rock Lake. He told me stories about having grown up there. He used to dive off of the pyramids in the Lake as a boy and young man. However, there are many, many things of a strange nature to investigate and discuss, and I would really like to stay on topic here if possible. Thank you.

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JDTHR said:
Hello All,

Here is what I was going to post before...

The Sourcebook Project, P.O. Box 107, Glen Arm, MD 21057

The book is 'Ancient Man: A Handbook of Puzzling Artifacts'. It is by William R. Corliss and is 792 pages, Hardcover, for $23.95. It has 240 illustrations.

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sourcebk.htm

I was told about this book and the source for it by a man who grew up at Lake Mills, right at Rock Lake. He told me stories about having grown up there. He used to dive off of the pyramids in the Lake as a boy and young man. However, there are many, many things of a strange nature to investigate and discuss, and I would really like to stay on topic here if possible. Thank you.

alpha105

Re: Ancient Coins Found in WI
« Reply To This Topic #5 on: Today at 08:40:01 AM » Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.burlingtonnews.net/rocklake.html

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've mapped Rock Lake, and it is interesting down there.

It took a number of years, and the technology had changed drastically over the years, from hand-signaled resection transit work to GPS and sonar.

Lots of legends about the place, but I found no "smoking mound'.

It is tough to dive because of water visibility problems ( algae bloom), and the window is only a few weeks in the spring, if that.

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
I am possibly going to Lake Gogebic this weekend and hunting a area that looks promising. Any one else have any info on other sites that could produce some early artifacts, ie: 1700's early 1800's?

Just would like all the information I could get for my adventure, thanks. :)

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JD it is good to see the WI forum wake up from a long rest. I will follow your thread and kick in where I can. I strayed away from THing this summer on my Quest for Gold. Your interest in the ancient culture of WI gets me thinking back again of my own past interests. I did get up to Copper Harbor this summer.

Attachments

• Copper Harbor 001.jpg
    Copper Harbor 001.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 966

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The archies will dismiss out of hand and unseen any pre-Columbian contact.

They're not interested in any threat to their dogma.

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
Bum,
In general, you are correct. But I take exception in some cases here. To us archaeologists, context is everything. Of course, once we (when I am in the role of MDer) dig something up, context is nearly lost. That said, here is where my earlier conversations with you and others on here hold weight; I think most MDers could use some education on the methods, techniques, and goals of archies. And vice versa. If you do find something of significant importance- in this case precolumbian- making notes of everything about the find is paramount. Knowing the exact location by marking it somehow on the land and GPS, photographs of the landscape around and the location, exact depth and, if possible, the orientation of the artifact (lying on its side, top, flat, etc). If it turns out it is important then all these clues will give proof to the find and allow the archies to return to the exact site (make sure you are included on the survey or subsequent excavation as a learning tool for you) and for them to make an assessment. It is very very unlikely only one artifact would be found at any significant site. In fact, when we locate only one artifact that is significantly different than everything else in the area, it is noted and catalogued as an 'isolated find'. This means its a cool thing, but nothing else can be found out about it without more associated finds in the same local.
So, if an MDer is able to document the find correctly and contact the right university researcher (someone who's specialty or interest is in the artifacts area), I have no doubt you will be taken seriously.
-Eric

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
Hey bumpy,
Stay off your soapbox. You are not impressing anyone here using inflammatory language like 'your kind'. I am talking strictly about changing the apparent status quo, and preach it to both sides. And, just so you understand where I am coming from completely, I do straddle the fence nicely and always have. I do not believe there has to be a wall between MDers and the researchers. But I will tell you that I see both sides for what they are and MDers are certainly not without fault. Maybe instead of soapboxing your way to perpetuate the current divide you should embrace people like me who are about to enter the world of academia as a profession and who propose such crazy ideas like 'working together'...

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes
The State Historical Society archy has made his view known clearly and for a long time. We MDers are thieves and trash. He ain't gonna change his opinion and the DNR archy will just go right along with him. To these guys if you don't have a college degree you need to be kept home and out of the fields, by law if possible, by Dept regulation if not.

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
This is good. Now that I have fished out two I am starting to have a fair conversation :) lol

Look Bubba, if you have been reading my extensive posts on a couple different forums here you would see that I am taking this to a level that you guys cannot. At the risk of sounding, I dunno- righteous, arrogant, (fill in the blank) I am in a very choice and small league. I started in this hobby after discussing the topic with several professors at several renowned institutions; namely, University of Wisconsin and University of Minnesota. It was interesting to me to see the polarizing opinions. I saw the usefulness of accessing the vast knowledge of avocational (recreational) archaeologists, treasure hunters, geographers, and anthropologists. Out in the real world, these people are known as arrowhead collectors, MDers, rock hounds, and reenactors, respectively. I see the REAL potential of sharing knowledge that can really accelerate thinking in the institutional research community and avocational researchers. MDers ARE avocational researchers. You do the same thing Bubba as I do at the university and at home. But I have one distinct and major advantage over you- I have access to all sorts of classified and public (but terribly difficult for you to access) information on historic and prehistoric sites. Wouldn't you like a taste of that information AND the ability to work on either those sites or freedom to wander adjacent to those sites to try and discover new ones??

This goes way beyond the DNR archy. He really is a small fish. The problem for you is, your pond is excessively small so he thinks he is a big fish. Do you know that I can have access to any of the DNR land no matter what he thinks? All I have to do is apply for a research permit, get a small grant from the university or other institution, get together a team, and go. Now, truth be told, all the items discovered would be, currently, property of the university. However, this is slowly being talked about behind closed doors at our academic conventions and via email. There is a growing number of us - some like me who are working on their various degrees, and some who are already professors- who are working on adapting the time-hardened rules to our advantage. See, as a researcher, I could give a crap about coins, outside of noting what was found for potential dating of a site or a depth of a dig. Even if they are gold, I could care less. As a MDer... wow!

I can see this is getting more lengthy than I wanted. This is a better conversation over a beer and a group who can both field questions to me, and I to them to find a proper conduit of conversation between the MDers and academics. But do you see where I am going with this? I know there is a lot I have yet to discuss with all of you reading this, as I am sure you have a lot of questions. But I think I can answer most of them to your satisfaction. This is not a flash in the pan, crazy idea thought up yesterday over a bagel. This is real, it is happening, and is a possibility. But a lot of people have to be on board on both sides for it to work- even the test runs.

More to come, if you have questions, feel free to ask. But the sooner people like Bumpstick get over their crass view of ALL academics, the easier it will be for guys like me to make it work. Or, maybe, they would be more comfortable being left behind.
-e

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I didn't offend any one on this forum. {Your Kind}
I use that line because I know it hits home and a good dig.
To change a perceived image you must show it in your actions.
Hope to see ya all in the field. :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions