Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

May 2008

Ancient Coins Found in WI

Hello,

Has anyone that you know of found any ancient coins in or around Wisconsin? There were some ancient coins that I have heard of being found in WI. People generally tend to think that if they find any coins that old (such as ancient Roman coins) in WI or other places in the U.S. that they have to have been lost at some later date. But any archaeologist will tell you that you should not assume such things, but research each site or claim professionally or you will destroy any evidence that could have been proof of ancient exploration in places such as Wisconsin.

There have been really old items found in many places in the U.S., including MN, IA, WI, MI, IL, OH. More and more, there appears to be more evidence showing that ancient peoples came to (and left) America long before Columbus. There was a post in TreasureNet a while ago by someone in WI (Badger Bart) who said that he had found 2 ancient coins in a farmyard in WI. I'd like to believe that the coins he found were really ancient. So, if anyone can put him in touch with me, I'd like to try to set that account straight.

Another thing to mention is that when people DO find such coins, they seem to think that they are fake or that they were planted there for some reason. An expert in ancient coins (a specialized field) needs to look at the coins to authenticate them. There are ways of telling one thing or another when finds such as this are made, but experts need to examine what they can and bear in mind that such coins found in this way should NOT be cleaned (except by perhaps a quick wash off with water, but sometimes it is important to leave some of the original soil on them for verification.

A word of caution: Now, I would like to caution people about the use of the word "ancient." It really does not apply to coins from the 1800's or so. Generally, people tend to think of ancient as before 500 AD or about the time of the fall of the Roman empire. I feel that I should mention this because there are some people who have the habit of calling anything 'old', "ancient." (Just so there's no confusion here)

Anyway, if you know of anything that fits this topic please do post and/or let me know via email. Thank you.

us
    Feb 2005
    Menominee, Michigan
    T-2,
    2 times

Re: Ancient Coins Found in WI

i read a roman sword, viking axe found around lake Gogebic, Phonecian coins on isle royal, and ather artifacts around the UP, i have know doubt early cultures were around other than the native americans
    where's the good stuff

us
    Jan 2006
    DUI
    18 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

no doubt
    the dreams of the young are the regrets of the old

May 2008

Hello Thompy,

I've heard of a Roman sword being found, but not in Wisconsin. But I am still in the process of learning more about such finds in WI. There is a book or books that record many of the finds of this type, and I have not gotten that book yet. Thought I had that info at hand to share, but I see that I will have to locate it so that I can post just what that is.

Also, I've heard of reports of finds of Viking relics, but do not know of any being found right in Wisconsin at this time. Yes, I have heard of so-called Phoenician coins having been found in WI, but not at Isle Royale. What I have heard of being found at Isle Royale are Roman coins. I think that the source for some of the things like this that we are discussing is that book that I was referring to. I'll see if I can find that info and post it here.

And, yes, I too, have heard of some things being found up in the U.P. There was supposedly a Roman medallion found up there in 1939 by someone who was working for the CCC. I need to find out more info about that though. I want to compile as much data on each of these finds as possible. As for the native Americans, that too, is a subject that I would like to investigate further. But more so on the earliest of them in the WI area. Thanks for the reply.

us
    Feb 2005
    Menominee, Michigan
    T-2,
    2 times

was suppose to be a Viking or Norse settlement around MN, if stuff dont fit current thoughts on archeology, i think it just gets trashed, the one book that was intresting was Michigan's prehistory mysteries, something like that. don't know how it all really fit together but very intresting
    where's the good stuff

Charter Member

May 2007
    3 times

CRH Totals
    90%: 24
    40%: 138
    War Nickels: 3
    Silver Dimes: 15

us
    Jan 2006
    DUI
    18 times

cool stuff alfa,always thought about a road trip there to check it out
    the dreams of the young are the regrets of the old

Charter Member

May 2007
    3 times

Fortunatly its not too far away. I work with someone in school for archaeology that actually worked one the the sites around there.
    CRH Totals

May 2008

Hello All,

Here is what I was going to post before...

The Sourcebook Project, P.O. Box 107, Glen Arm, MD 21057

The book is 'Ancient Man: A Handbook of Puzzling Artifacts'. It is by William R. Corliss and is 792 pages, Hardcover, for $23.95. It has 240 illustrations.

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sourcebk.htm

I was told about this book and the source for it by a man who grew up at Lake Mills, right at Rock Lake. He told me stories about having grown up there. He used to dive off of the pyramids in the Lake as a boy and young man. However, there are many, many things of a strange nature to investigate and discuss, and I would really like to stay on topic here if possible. Thank you.

Charter Member

May 2007
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by JDTHR
    Hello All,

Here is what I was going to post before...

The Sourcebook Project, P.O. Box 107, Glen Arm, MD 21057

The book is 'Ancient Man: A Handbook of Puzzling Artifacts'. It is by William R. Corliss and is 792 pages, Hardcover, for $23.95. It has 240 illustrations.

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sourcebk.htm

I was told about this book and the source for it by a man who grew up at Lake Mills, right at Rock Lake. He told me stories about having grown up there. He used to dive off of the pyramids in the Lake as a boy and young man. However, there are many, many things of a strange nature to investigate and discuss, and I would really like to stay on topic here if possible. Thank you.
    alpha105

Reply To This Topic #5 on: Today at 08:40:01 AM Quote Modify Remove

----------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------
    http://www.burlingtonnews.net/rocklake.html

CRH Totals

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    554 times

I've mapped Rock Lake, and it is interesting down there.

It took a number of years, and the technology had changed drastically over the years, from hand-signaled resection transit work to GPS and sonar.

Lots of legends about the place, but I found no "smoking mound'.

It is tough to dive because of water visibility problems ( algae bloom), and the window is only a few weeks in the spring, if that.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Oct 2007
    Wisconsin
    Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
    2 times

I am possibly going to Lake Gogebic this weekend and hunting a area that looks promising. Any one else have any info on other sites that could produce some early artifacts, ie: 1700's early 1800's?

Just would like all the information I could get for my adventure, thanks.

us
    Apr 2010
    York County, PA
    Tesoro Tejon
    138 times

us
    Jun 2008
    North-Woods WI.
    MineLab/Garret / Whites DFX / Gold Bug
    26 times

JD it is good to see the WI forum wake up from a long rest. I will follow your thread and kick in where I can. I strayed away from THing this summer on my Quest for Gold. Your interest in the ancient culture of WI gets me thinking back again of my own past interests. I did get up to Copper Harbor this summer.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copper Harbor 001.jpg 
Views:	766 
Size:	535.6 KB 
ID:	468814  

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    554 times

The archies will dismiss out of hand and unseen any pre-Columbian contact.

They're not interested in any threat to their dogma.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors