OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep us in the loop mick,curious about how it looks out there .................and good luck!

jkevin

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2004
went fri morn not alot but fun misc. coins and a key and a copper ring. to bad the lake looks like a waste land

Attachments

• copper ring.jpg
    copper ring.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 768
OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i guess you found something,why the secrect?

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what did you find??

Coinhunter89

Jun 28, 2008
I made it to Lake Delton today. Not much to be had. There is just so much area to hunt. Plus from the holes it looks like alot has already been hauled out. Anyone on here find any really cool stuff. What about silver? It isnt like you have to disclose where in the 250 acre lake ya found it!

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey goldfish,still waiting

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent some time out there, and it's a lot of lake bed to cover, about 250 acres.

My total take was not worth mentioning, but others I saw made as much as a couple of bucks in clads. Ho hum.

I'm sure there are a few rings and such, but I was struck by how little I found in the hours I spent there.

I heard there were a few guns found, but that could probably be said of almost any lake in this hunting country. Lots of anchors, fish poles, can's, bottles, general junk.

The kids ended up clearing out pop cans from the swimming beach so that no one would get cut on them when the water returns.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A history book I'm reading says some of Lake Delton was the town of Newport, WI founded by Bailey and Bowman in 1849. The railroad ultimately went across the WI river about 2 miles north, now WI Dells, so newport kinda died. Lake Delton was created in the 1920's. Dawn Manor, which still stands along the lake shore is the only known Newport building still standing. The filling of Lake Delton covered some of the town. Other portions of the town can be "eyed" by looking for non-native vegetation such as lilacs and locusts that still bloom today. They will lead you to slight hollows in the ground, the remnants of the cellars of the bygone homes. Now, knowing that, you dirt busters in the area have some new leads to old places! Good Luck! TTC (source:Ghost towns of WI, 1977 Stark)

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
A lot of the old newport sites have been heavily hunted. Trust me, I know. Many of the locals know about it, that includes everyone I've met that owns an MD. It is neat history tho'.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lake Delton was created in 1927, and Newport fizzled by 1850 and was all folded up by around 1870. I don't think that anything is due to be found by assuming that the two are related.

Quite a time gap there.

I was struck by how little was found in the lake. I've done much better in small old parks. My understanding talking to old timers is that it used to be a sorghum field (wet meadow).

Here's Lake Delton last weekend, looking west.

Attachments

• DSC03426sm.jpg
    DSC03426sm.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 541
OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey goldfish is it time to show your finds yet?

rottonr

Aug 17, 2008
Wisconsin
My first post on this forum. I didn't hunt there until 6 weeks after it drained and there were holes all over the place!! I hunted this lake about 7 times for about 4 hours each time. I found 3 class rings, two of them gold, one men's silver wedding band, silver washington and rosy and two silver religious medallions. I wish I would have hit it right after the draining, I will bet there where dozens and dozens of gold and silver rings taken from there.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dam construction is complete and they have started to fill the lake. About 7 feet over the winter, and the rest in the spring by May.

Better get a scuba rig............

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Ok, bomber, Time for confession. I'm getting ready to post my year-end finds, so just to let you know, Lake deloton was amazing. I got 10 or so hunks O'gold, 2-3 dozen silver jewelries, and a decent pile of silver coin, wheats(which come out shiny and coppery), and some cool tokens, not to mention several nice antique fishing lures. I kept hearing that the lake was "all hunted out" by people that were practically jogging down the beach with detectors, they wanted to cover lots of ground. I slowed down and crawled, but I didn't want people to know that. It was a heck of an experience, and I actually learned how to ID gold pretty well. Keep an eye on the 2008 year-end posts, I'll be putting pics up there.

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME! lets see those pics bud,is it filling up yet or spring?

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
They're starting to fill it now, It should be finished near the end of may or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions