New MD owner Garrett 250 - lake Country area

tlzkaasen

Jun 20, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500|| Garret ACE 250 (Daughter) || Sunray YF-1 Invader Inline Probe|| Garrett Head Phones|| 2008 Rat Head Phones||
Hi!

New MD owner in the Lake Country Area (SE Wisconsin). My 9 year old daughter has been bugging me to get her one for her birthday. Anyway, We picked it up Thursday June 19th.

Finding the targets after we pinpoint them is killing us!! Not very successful at all, but we're confident we'll get better.

Looking for suggestions on simple tools to pull the item etc.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have an Ace 250, I just started back this March, this what I use with great success. Also if you have a yard, plant a test garden so you can practice pinpointing. Or I have read somewhere that you can practice by placing a coin on the ground and covering the coin with some cardboard or something.

The digger below is for sale at walmart online only, but I found mine inside of Home Depot for $15, it works great, but you definatly want to wear gloves everytime you use it. It will slice your hand up with all of the sharp edges.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8727970

I also have a pinpointer to help me locate my find in the hole:

http://tinytec-probes.com/

I have the $40 one and I live it.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are digging in the dirt or sod , you need a good knife, a spade and, most importyantly, a good pinpointer. They aren't cheap but they will save you so much time trying to locate your object. A long screwdriver is also handy - sometimes you can poke holes with the screwdriver and hit your object so you know where to dig.

If you digging at the beach or in the sand, then you also need a sand scoop.

I'd also suggest you find a sandy spot to practice pinpointing with your detector. Plant a few quarters and then practice pinpointing and digging them up.

OP
OP
tlzkaasen

tlzkaasen

Jun 20, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500|| Garret ACE 250 (Daughter) || Sunray YF-1 Invader Inline Probe|| Garrett Head Phones|| 2008 Rat Head Phones||
SusanMN said:
If you are digging in the dirt or sod , you need a good knife, a spade and, most importyantly, a good pinpointer. They aren't cheap but they will save you so much time trying to locate your object. A long screwdriver is also handy - sometimes you can poke holes with the screwdriver and hit your object so you know where to dig.

If you digging at the beach or in the sand, then you also need a sand scoop.

I'd also suggest you find a sandy spot to practice pinpointing with your detector. Plant a few quarters and then practice pinpointing and digging them up.

Well, I guess we'll need to order a pinpointer. Can you describe how it works? I think I have the 'jist' of it, but think I better ask though.

OP
OP
tlzkaasen

tlzkaasen

Jun 20, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
treasurefiend, great video by the way. We found an old winchester shotgun shell last night. Just the brass remained.

Where did you go for that memorial weekend hunt? Interesting woods.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pinpointer is basically a long, skinny metal detector that you can stick into the dirt or hole that you are digging. It will either sound or vibrate when it gets close to the metallic object. Very helpful when you are off center in digging your hole or your object is on the side of the hole rather than at the bottom.

OP
OP
tlzkaasen

tlzkaasen

Jun 20, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
SusanMN said:
A pinpointer is basically a long, skinny metal detector that you can stick into the dirt or hole that you are digging. It will either sound or vibrate when it gets close to the metallic object. Very helpful when you are off center in digging your hole or your object is on the side of the hole rather than at the bottom.

Will I get what I pay for? More expensive - better results? Does Radio Shack sell these? Also, any recomendations for head phones?

Thanks much!!!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tlzkaasen said:
treasurefiend, great video by the way. We found an old winchester shotgun shell last night. Just the brass remained.

Where did you go for that memorial weekend hunt? Interesting woods.

Down in Rosemont IL (by O' Hare Airport), the woods are right along side of the Des Plaines River. Sadly though I won't go back until the fall. I keep getting myself into some bad poisn ivy, 3 times in 3 months all over my arms and face, LOL

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get headphones, you have to get ones that have a volume control, if you don't, you will go deaf. The Ace doesn't have volume control.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will I get what I pay for? More expensive - better results? Does Radio Shack sell these? Also, any recomendations for head phones?

Take a look at a site like Kelly Co for descriptions of all of the pinpointers. None are cheap, all work ok, but some don't hold up too well. Doubt that radioshack carries any but couldn't hurt to call and ask them.

As for headphones, they'll help in two ways. First, because they block out outside noise, you'll be able to hear your metal detector better and it will be easier to pick up soft, but good tones. Second, it gives you some privacy in not having people nearby hear everytime you have a hit. Its also less annoying for those nearby who may not want to listen to beep beep every few minutes.

Two kinds of headphones - the earmuff kind and the small ones like you'd have on a walkman or cd player that you can use with an adapter. Radioshack should have both kinds.

OP
OP
tlzkaasen

tlzkaasen

Jun 20, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
SusanMN said:

Take a look at a site like Kelly Co for descriptions of all of the pinpointers. None are cheap, all work ok, but some don't hold up too well. Doubt that radioshack carries any but couldn't hurt to call and ask them.

As for headphones, they'll help in two ways. First, because they block out outside noise, you'll be able to hear your metal detector better and it will be easier to pick up soft, but good tones. Second, it gives you some privacy in not having people nearby hear everytime you have a hit. Its also less annoying for those nearby who may not want to listen to beep beep every few minutes.

Two kinds of headphones - the earmuff kind and the small ones like you'd have on a walkman or cd player that you can use with an adapter. Radioshack should have both kinds.

Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread