We hunted the house of Garfields assassin...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We hunted the house of Garfield's assassin...

Hey Josh(alpha105),
My brother got a book from the library on WI ghost towns(by Wm. Stark), and BAM .... on page 21 the house we hunted in Ozaukee county was pictured! It was the childhood home of Charles Guiteau, the man that shot Pres. Garfield on 7-2-1881. He lived there from c.1846 to 1851. If you look at the pics that JimB posted of the hunt you will see that it is the same house. The tree in the front yard of the (book) pic is where I found the V nickel. I remember you saying a presidential assassin lived there. Now you know who. It is a very gratifying experience to be able to add this little piece of history to our hunt. That's what this hobby is all about! Thanks again for the hunt! TerryC. n The book pics is below...

Attachments

• MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 489

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: We hunted the house of Garfield's assassin...

Wow i didnt know it dated middle 1800's .....theres just gotta be more there. We need to hit that place up again one of these days.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Count me in! There's got to be more. The pic clearly shows another house used to be in the back. We can use the old pic to do "what ifs" of the site. Let me know when. TerryC

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can you post the new pic that was taken of the house in this post....i cant seem to find it anywhere.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I don't have them. JimB does. He has the originals. If you look back for his reply to my post regarding our hunt, you will see the pics. This is an active board and it my take a little searching! The new pics will not have the front yard tree, like in the older pic(book). TerryC

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Guys, all you have to do is ask! Here it is. Jim B

Attachments

• FARM HUNT OLD HOUSE.JPG
    FARM HUNT OLD HOUSE.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 480
  • FARM HUNT OLD HOUSE.JPG
    FARM HUNT OLD HOUSE.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 428
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks Jim,
You can clearly see the changes in the house. There's one more change to be done... REMOVE THE CASH FROM THE LAWN! I want to remove enough so the owner will then have room for that inground pool he's always wanted! Nice pic. TTC

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin

Great thread, do you have access to the back yard, specifically the area where the "privy"
would have been? Depending on how it was built, might it be possible when "pop" was dropping
his drawers that change could have spilled out and fallen between the boards?

Just a thought. ;D

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Blacksheep said:
Great thread, do you have access to the back yard, specifically the area where the "privy"
would have been? Depending on how it was built, might it be possible when "pop" was dropping
his drawers that change could have spilled out and fallen between the boards?

Just a thought. ;D

We have full access.....im gonna have to check to make sure again as it was recently rented out. But shouldnt be much of a problem.

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bump for the new group

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

alfa sent pm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread