ghost town name ?

manyholes

Dec 24, 2008
Wyoming
I have been in wyoming all my life and I've just located this site. Last summer I hiked across the cloud peak wilderness north to south. We started at coffeene park between there and lake Geneva there is an old mining town alot of old broke down cabins. What i was wondering is what was the name of this mining camp? On up the trail at Geneva pass there is a old mining shaft the wood girters are under water but well preserved you can see them through the water with a flash lite. any way thanks for your help if any one knows :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
manyholes

manyholes

Dec 24, 2008
Wyoming
I have checked maps even asked forrest service folks but most of those folks are transplants who do not know and are not intrested in the history of the area. But thanks anyway.

djr1100

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2008
Denver, CO
Manyholes,
I picked up some excellent WY maps at the BLM office, however the maps I have are not detailed enough to see lake geneva. I think I paid about $4 per map. Might go to any BLM office and ask.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No help here. However, I sure miss Wyoming. I lived in Big Piney for almost 16 years. Miss the solitude, hunting and fishing. I don't miss the cold though ;D

thejilly

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been in wyoming all my life and I've just located this site. Last summer I hiked across the cloud peak wilderness north to south. We started at coffeene park between there and lake Geneva there is an old mining town alot of old broke down cabins. What i was wondering is what was the name of this mining camp? On up the trail at Geneva pass there is a old mining shaft the wood girters are under water but well preserved you can see them through the water with a flash lite. any way thanks for your help if any one knows :icon_pirat:

I know this thread has been long dead, but I came across the post and was intrigued. After a bit of research, I found the following info (taken from here):

MIDDLE EAST GOOSE CREEK PROSPECTS
A caved adit near the trail, a few hundred feet south of the
Edelman lode (fig. 9, loc. 14) is in field of large blocks of granitic
rock. It is near the southern edge of the SEi/4 sec. 6, T. 52 N., R.
86 W. Sample 918 was collected on a 10-foot grid from a 75-ton
dump at the adit. It did not contain anomalous metal values.
Three other prospects are south along the trail to Lake Geneva.
Two small prospects are near the trail in the EI/£ sec. 7, T. 52 N.,
R. 86 W. (pi. 1). Neither expose mineralized rock or vein material.
A small caved adit that was driven N. 85° W. is at the trail
on the west side of the East Fork of Big Goose Creek about 1
mile north of Lake Geneva. The portal of the adit is in moraine.
Samples 545 (table 5) and 917 (pi. 2, table 6) are of dump material
at this adit, and they show no unusual concentration of
metals.

So what OP stumbled upon isn't exactly a "ghost town" (according to historic maps of the area, there was never a town in this area), but rather the remnants of some mining cabins/sites. Looking at the government report I linked to (page 38), you can see by the map there are quite a few mining claims in this area.

Thought this was interesting and wanted to share.

Any one else know of any "off the map" ghost towns/sites in Wyoming?

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I looked Geneva pass up, but have to wait til I get home and have the time to see what I can find with an interesting link I have for doing maps for my books. Hope to get back to this in reasonable time. Soon I will have our first Wyoming book up, Sundance and Moorecroft want a copy. Later

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other

It appears your north-south hike was not as long as I expected. But it did cover two different map sections, using a link for maps that I like I have what should cover the area. The maps are 1895 and 1899 so they appear different. At this scale there are no possible camps showing. Maybe a later year would work. map a 1895 north section.jpg cloud peak 1899 south section.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread