Where and how is it legal to hunt in Wyoming?

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX series with 9" coil and 18" coil.
Hello everyone, I am a new member so I was thinking of talking a bit about how I became interested in THing, and then ask some questions.

I live in the Casper area in Wyoming, i was trying to find some hobby that I would enjoy doing, and as I was researching found out about THing with MD. I have heard about it before but didn't give it a second thought since i had other hobbies that took most of my time.

I started a coin collection in Spain when I was about 8 years old, and found a lot of great coins from all over the world in the strangest of places. Back then I didn't have any metal detectors, but i liked to explore parks and old sites in Spain and the adventure was very exciting to me even at that age. But when I turned older I became interested in other hobbies and slowly but surely stopped hunting for coins.

Anyways, to make a long story short. I have lived in the States for 17 years now, and the last 2 years I have been living in Wyoming.

I decided to do some research into THing, and found a local THing pro, who told me a lot of THing stories. He showed me the different modern equipment that can be used for all sorts of THing, even though he did not give me much advice on the laws in this area and where I should or shouldn't go THing. Anyways, he showed me his personal collection, and I was hooked once again with the hobby.

After much research into the different MD, I bought a Whites DFX, and even bought an Excelerator EQ2 Pro 18" coil as a back up since the DFX comes only with a 9" coil, I might even buy a smaller coil, maybe a 4" in the near future if I can find some place where I can actually do some legal THing. But I am starting to think that I should have done a lot more research into the laws concerning THing, before buying the detector.

The detector came with books and I was able to find a bit more about THing, but there are so many laws that instead of helping, they confused me even more, that i don't even know if it is possible to do it around here legally.

It can't be done in state parks or public lands, and any historical sites are off limits, all in all I started to lose excitement on THing, but I am not ready to give up yet.

Does anyone know where in the state of Wyoming is it legal to actually do some THing, digging around and keeping relics and coins found with a metal detector?

I know that if I find a grassy area where there is some potential relic or coin, that I should dig it out making a horseshoe plug. At least i learnt a thing or two in my research.

The local THing pro that i met usually goes to California, or some other State for THing, so there isn't much he can tell me about the laws of the State of Wyoming.

Any information that anyone can give me, or if anyone can point me to the right place where I can find any information of where is it legal to do some THing in Wyoming, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
LuisTH,

I have found the following site to be of great help:
http://www.fmdac.org/parks/parks.htm

At that website you can determine the yeas/nays of state parks, etc.

Here's what it says for Wyoming:

Wyoming
http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/index1.htm

(c) The use of any mineral or metal detecting device at a state historic or archeological site is prohibited, except for official use. The use of any mineral or metal detecting device at a state park or recreation area is prohibited without written permission of the Superintendent.

**Take care and Happy Hunting!
---Mel

borninok

OP
OP
LuisTH

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Thanks borninok, i actually sent an email and got a response from the president of that site, and he gave me some information about it.

golddust

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2007
I would look around the old railroad sites.schools and parks you can always ask the local police dpt if it is ok to dect such places.I dont know if there are any local or state detecting clubs they would also be good to ask

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Hi Luis, I lived in Casper for a time in late 60's an we and a lot of other people recreated out S.W. of town by Alcova Reservoir. Playing, swimming, fishing, losing coins and things. It's a big area several campgrounds and might be a place for you to try if you haven't already done so. Natrona County Roads, bridges, and parks dept. at 538 S. Wyoming Blvd. Mills, Wy. 82644 and phone 307-235-9325 are in charge. Give em' a call and tell em' you'll cover your holes and remove the junk. H.H.

OP
OP
LuisTH

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Cool, thanks a lot for the info silverswede, i will surely try that place whenever i get some free time.

Again, thank you for the heads up. :)

Luis.

whodom

May 6, 2006
Luis, I live in Casper and have been detecting for many, many years here. I have been given letters of permission to all of the State Parks by going to the park offices and asking for permission. When there has been no one in the office I ask the first worker I see in the park and get the letter when I can. National Parks and historic sites are becoming more and more restricted. I have been able to circumnavigate that at times by contacting U-Dub archeology staff to go with them on digs...understanding that they get all artifacts. Start looking at books on the ghost towns(RR towns, mining towns, etc) and old maps. Ya gotta get out there and talk with folks.
LOL Whodom

SilverDog

Nov 9, 2007
Cresent City, FL
Detector(s) used
White BeachHunter ID/MineLab Excal 1000
Hi All, I just moved from Wyoming I am now in FL. Wyoming is the least populated state. I am from S.W. Wyoming. As you travel along I-80 you will see allot of open land, most of this land is BLM. You have to understand that there are not allot of sights to hunt in, not like the east coast. The forts and stage coach sights are protected from us. What ever area you are in you need to check with BLM local office for the particulars. The Indian's artifacts, fossils etc are protected again check with BLM to find where you can hunt. The southnpass area were mined for gold, hard rock and placer and there is small scale mining going on today. Before hunting this area for nuggets check BLM for ex sisting claims. Allot of home work and a long drive but it might be worth it and take your fishing pole as the streams in Wyoming are cristal clear and have very tasty fish in them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread