Rock Springs, WY MD'ing spots

Awb101

Mar 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all ,

anyone from rock springs here. im looking for some spots to go try out my new metal detector. its so hard around here because every single inch around here thats easy access is covered in spent shell casings lol. kind of a pain in the ass. ive been looking at some old maps and trying to figure out where a good area would be. i know of 4 ghost towns in my county, Winton and dines are a couple of them. im going to try them out even though they probably will be hard to hunt because of shell casings lol if anyone has any info about places in sweetwater county that would be great.

thanks

Adam

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Point of Rocks population claimed to be 3. Point of Rocks stage station which is off limits, so find the boundaries it was on the Overland trail and the railroad. Needing grazing the wagon trains had to camp spread out over the region. Maybe someone cached something. Least there should be relics.

OP
OP
A

Awb101

Mar 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if i could get permission to md the stage

OP
OP
A

Awb101

Mar 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point of rocks has a bit more than 3 lol now they have a rv camp ground there the power plant and coal mine are a few miles past it along with a good fishing spot. The bar that used to be in point of rocks was original from the ghost town lol and you could get a hair cut there

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Point of rocks has a bit more than 3 lol now they have a rv camp ground there the power plant and coal mine are a few miles past it along with a good fishing spot. The bar that used to be in point of rocks was original from the ghost town lol and you could get a hair cut there

Population 3 according to Wikipedia, so I believe there is a point of rocks ghost town site supposedly rumors of outlaw cache buried there.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
But you might try the library and looking over local history books with photos of old businesses and such. Record the locations and if their gone hit them. I covered this method in my metal detecting book.

OP
OP
A

Awb101

Mar 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Overland Trail--Map of Julesburg to Ft.Bridger (Last updated 06/19/01) some pretty good info on this site I've decided to search for the lone tree swing station. Here is another reference https://books.google.com/books?id=S...Q#v=onepage&q=lone tree swing station&f=false

Bryan is going to be my starting point I know where it is Wyoming Places / Bryan trying to find Peru wy also it's interesting it burnt to the ground there has to be some goodies out there got any ideas tiredman? Or any my info. The stage station was in Bryan and it had a swing station on the north side of blacks fork, 14 miles west of green river or green river city? Screenshot_20180310-072633.png

Today I'm gonna try to hit the library and museums they will make copys of the old maps they got. I love history it's crazy that so many towns fell within 20 miles of me lol those coach's where used for gold baby gold I'm dreaming of finding some golden coins

Peru, wy http://wyomingplaces.pbworks.com/9w/page/1271515/Peru

Oh ya here is another source.
https://books.google.com/books?id=a...uidebook to the western united states&f=false

Thanks.

Last edited:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Well to narrow down locations that appear on maps 100 years old, and determine if there are ruins to help find them today. Up in Montana I just use Google and type in something like, sweet water county Montana Deadmans Creek topo map and hit search. This should get one a topo map. At the junction of this search where Deadmans and hangman's Creek was the canyon stage stop. Which has hidden loot which I am pretty sure of. I posted the map in Montana treasure legends in a thread who's grave is this?

OP
OP
A

Awb101

Mar 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well to narrow down locations that appear on maps 100 years old, and determine if there are ruins to help find them today. Up in Montana I just use Google and type in something like, sweet water county Montana Deadmans Creek topo map and hit search. This should get one a topo map. At the junction of this search where Deadmans and hangman's Creek was the canyon stage stop. Which has hidden loot which I am pretty sure of. I posted the map in Montana treasure legends in a thread who's grave is this?

Google earth is pretty helpful. I have one more question if anyone knows in the former town of Bryan was the lone tree coach station and further south there was the lone tree swing station. What is a swing station? If I could find it would that be a good spot to start and follow the overland trail?

Thanks

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
If you find that nobody ever hunted it and that it's ok to swing the coil then it would be a great place. Now that library if it has photos of the sites, take a photo with your phone, it can help in the field to line things up. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, research several spots for backups.

OP
OP
A

Awb101

Mar 3, 2018
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all blm land out there, so swing the so called coil isn't a problem. But I still am curious about exactly what a swing station is. I never made it to the library yet unfortunately but hopefully I will get the chance next week. I don't think many people metal detect around here but I could be wrong. If that's the case it will be my advantage I have a feeling if everything I have read is accurate about what those stations where used for it should be good hunting I've been dreaming of finding some old coins

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
That would be the place, I read an old treasure hunting magazine where they hunted such a site and got a few silver dollars

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions