What about Rivers?

Freebooter

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2009
Hello all,
I have not been MDing in a long time. But I live near the Alabama River in Alabama and there are many islands and sandbars where prople have partied, camped, etc, for years. I think this spring I am going to hunt those spots. One such sand bar in the past was used by radio stations with all their equipment set up, boats lined up all up and down the beach, people swimming, camping, partying, cooking out, etc, all over the bar, island, beach, etc.. I am sure there were some things dropped there.

Also, I know of a spot where a man by the name of Griffis got a grant due to his Rev War services. I know where his cabin was, marked by two huge oak trees. I might go try to get permission to hunt that spot. The Griffis graves are near it too, dated like the late 1700s or early 1800s.
Later,
FB
Millbrook,
Alabama

OP
OP
F

Freebooter

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2009
Hello Plehbah,
The graves, just a handful, are some yards from where the cabin was. A baby's grave is out a few feet from the main bunch by itself. I wondered about this, but figured there might be more graves but unmarked. Several yards away from these graves are some other graves such as some "Stoudemire" graves. The land owner said he believes those are slave graves. But I have known some white Stoudemires too. I have not seen those graves yet.

But as for the area of where the cabin was, it is located on higher ground, or uphill from the graves. The landowner cleaned up and cleared the spot with his tractor to where it was all dirt with the trash-dirt and whathave you pushed up into a sort of burm to one side. I wish I had've metal detected it at that time because now, a year or so later, he has sold that land and moved off of the place.
Later,
FB

st1ss

Apr 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
2 Tesoros
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might come across some slave shackles or tags around that old house place. Seems like I remember some old building was around Coosada also. Think it was some kinda State building like the first Capitol or some such. Check out the book " Dead towns of Alabama". I bought one because they mention where the old Steamboat landings were. I think they traveled the AL river a good ways. You got some great prospects around you. BTW the largest AU nuget found in AL came from Verbena. Goog luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread