Double road in middle of no where

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
So I was using google maps around my house which is a farm and im completely surrounded by miles and miles of trees.

A neighbor said a few years ago that there was a very old house that doesn't exist anymore in the area, that it might have been as old as the late 1800's. I checked the spot he mentioned where it might be, but didn't find anything that looked like a house used to be there.

So carefully scanned the forest and came across these dirt tracks, it splits in two and there is nothing at the end, I followed the tracks up which it became almost impossible to see, and they lead a couple miles and end in a very large open field. Also these tracks appear to be way up on a hill.

The red star is my house, and the yellow star is the road, maybe it's worth checking out?

Attachments

• road1.jpg
    road1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,795
  • road2.jpg
    road2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,803
  • road3.jpg
    road3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,763

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would give an emphatic "YES" to checking it out. A few hours of exploration should quickly tell you if the area has promise. If you start to find metal trash or anything indicative of the time period, you will have a good idea of whether you want to hammer it or not.

Looks very interesting and promising! :headbang:

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
So I guess I should dig like 5 holes (if there is 5 holes to dig) and see what it turns up. Wish me luck!

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open field in the middle of the woods? Somebody cleared it in the past, probably where the house used to be. I'd check it out definately. Good luck, Niffler

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
where there is a large opening in otherwize thick woods most likely at one time there was either a farm or old logging camp * either one could produce some interesting finds --so yep check it out.--roads take a good bit of work to clear generally so they tend to go something / somewhere for a reason of some sort.

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I just now got back from the hike, went all the way to the top in the meadow. There is some construction equipment up there and two brand new houses that look like they were built a couple days ago. But the road bed I walked on was very old, couple trees fallen across it, no sign of any tire marks, small trees growing up through the middle of it, etc. Also at one point found some barbed wire where a fence used to be, no posts, just tied on a tree, and two old faded "no trespassing signs" that were hand painted and were falling apart.

Didn't do much detecting, just wanted to first check things out. There is a 4 way break in the road and I only followed one part of it, there is lots of forks and very clean roads that were very well made.

My very first hole which was close to the top of the hill produced a gate latch, appears to be hammered iron "hand forged", and had a hook attached to it, heavy duty. It was in the middle of the road bed, and about 10 feet from it found a half of a heavy link of a chain. But there were lots of hot rocks in the area so I quit after that second hole. But seems to be quite a good place to detect.

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might think about collecting that barb wire you found. If it is old, it could be a collectible item. People sell old types of barb wire in 18" sections and make some pretty good money!

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might be just shadows but there looks to be something in this area - looks like it's right off a trail.

Attachments

• Wolf Trap Road1.jpg
    Wolf Trap Road1.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 579
  • Wolf Trap Road2.jpg
    Wolf Trap Road2.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 590

wx5jcp

Greenie
Feb 19, 2012
Ponca City, OK
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SharpShooter II
Primary Interest:
Other
looks like an old river bed but I would give it a look just in case.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you have open fields, look for high ground, glass in the field. If there are old oaks, or plants that do not belong in the wild, growing wild, then that will be a home site. Good luck, and do not be afraid to invite a local TNetter along to help hunt. The local library of county offices may have records too. Well done!! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions