This site helps me out a lot. Plat maps from yesteryear.

goochas

Greenie
Apr 14, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. Love those old maps. Yes, will come in handy. Thanks for sharing.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great stuff! I looked at more than 5 for free, the overlays worked well.
answered a few questions I had about sites.
Thanks for sharing this :wink:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are more sites out there than this one.

Check out your historical societies, state & local. Ours has begun to scan stuff, which has been great, but of course, they are short on money because of budget cuts.

In our county, there are roughly 30 plat maps/books though the years, and only a few are on this site.

Don't forget your local library; often they can get really neat/obscure items for you to copy for pennies.

And remember to support the libraries and historical societies; they're great resources for us all.

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info for research. Thanks !

But , a word of caution when talking with Historical Society personal . Many years ago I did exactly as you mentioned and in the course of a conversation , I mentioned MDing older areas of the county . It was as if someone threw a light switch for attitude . Suddenly I felt as though I was viewed as a thief of historical sites . From that point on , my questions were answered with very short negative type responces . I got the hint and never returned unless I was buying more books for my collection on local history . Needless to say , I did NOT join the Society membership .

bonuntr

Jun 7, 2012
Utah's Outback
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 LE, Garrett Eagle Eye Deepseeker, Goldbug 2, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Super 500 Deepseeker, (old, but fun)!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome site...Thanks!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info for research. Thanks !

But , a word of caution when talking with Historical Society personal . Many years ago I did exactly as you mentioned and in the course of a conversation , I mentioned MDing older areas of the county . It was as if someone threw a light switch for attitude . Suddenly I felt as though I was viewed as a thief of historical sites . From that point on , my questions were answered with very short negative type responces . I got the hint and never returned unless I was buying more books for my collection on local history . Needless to say , I did NOT join the Society membership .

Shouldn't have mentioned it.

DiggyDog

Dec 27, 2012
I'm glad to hear about your experience with the historical society. I've been doing research for my area here so I can metal detect. While doing so I found that my city had a very historical past. I have planned on attending my city's historical society tomorrow night. (3-21-12) I had decided to tell them my intentions about digging city artifacts. Until I found your post. I'm not going to say a word about metal detecting until I win them over and they trust me a little more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread