What exactly on Google Earth do you look for?

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
705 views and no comment? Lots of lurkers or just people not wanting to help?

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on where you are, what type of hunting you're trying, what you are looking for. More information might help.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned, mainly gold prospecting areas. I.e. natural formations and what not that would likely yield rich ore. I'm in California.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i dont do much in the lines of gold panning but if would think that areas that have very steep runoffs and end in a deep pool would be were i would look

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I look for old outlines of building foundations. This won't help you much with prospecting but it will help you find older sites if you want to detect. Good luck,

HH Charlie

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if you interested in gold in ca., first thing I would do is, a search of public records for gold claims and where they are located, overlay their locations on a map of the area and get a topographical map of the same area to figure out elevations and which way the water runs. then a good plan would be to follow the water courses down stream and find pools of water, sharp bends in the rivers, bedrock that sticks up and search around them

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
if you interested in gold in ca., first thing I would do is, a search of public records for gold claims and where they are located, overlay their locations on a map of the area and get a topographical map of the same area to figure out elevations and which way the water runs. then a good plan would be to follow the water courses down stream and find pools of water, sharp bends in the rivers, bedrock that sticks up and search around them

Very good advice. Can this be done on-line or do I have to go in person to the county clerk?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I think that would depend on the county you want to search. some counties here in Kansas, you can find anything you want. others you have to go to the courthouse and search

Customx_12 said:
Sniffer said:

Very good advice. Can this be done on-line or do I have to go in person to the county clerk?
Try heses 3 counties in Calif, Placer,Nevada and El Dorado. I was born in Placer county and it is in the heart of gold country.

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
There once was a man from Nantucket who tried to catch a whale in a bucket. After sitting there all night and never getting a bite,, he picked up his pale and said f#€£ it. Lol

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look for rust,as in rust from old metal building roofs,also look for car/truck tire tracks,old bottle dumps or trash dumps.It can also show old roads that you can't see from standing in the same area.

May 7, 2009
I know this is an old post, but thought I would add my 2 cents. I look for any shape or formation that look too good to be natural. Near my home I found a heart formation of trees. I also look for structures with no roads leading to them.

tabu

Oct 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
What type of features should I look for when determining where to hunt? Obviously old camps, towns, tailings, or mines; but I'm thinking more about gold prospecting in particular. Rocky hills or mountains? Dry streams or creeks? What particular features should I be looking for?

If you're in the Philippines and in a gold rush area, the yellow metal is all over the place-- mountaintops, hillsides, plains, creeks and rivers and on the very spot you're standing on. But you have to elbow your way in among artisanal natives, small-time and bigtime panners and hydraulickers. Notice the bald mountain tops and silted and blacksand ridden waterways. I would not be surprised if all the recovered gold ended up in the blackmarket in Hongkong.

tumpagon 1.jpg tumpagon 2.jpg tumpagon 3.jpg tumpagon 4.jpg tumpagon 5.jpg

These Google-earth satellite images speak eloquently of environmental degradation. But rehabilitation should not be a difficult option. Historically, these places were thickly forested and in the middle of the jungle and ironically only about 40 km along a beautiful scenic route from a bustling seaport. It's within city limits of the same growing metropolis.

Postscript 1:

Recently a law has been enacted declaring the entire area off-limits to all forms of mining and so far the enforcement of the "No Mining Policy" has been satisfactory. But judging from the turbid, rust-colored water still persistently flowing out into the bay from the mouth of the river draining the area, it is safe to say that some (or a significant number) of individuals are still running a high fever of the auriferous kind that is poorly responsive to aspirin and creates a vicious cycle of remission and relapse; and a when-the-cat-is away-the-mouse-will-play or hit-and-run-guerilla-warfare kind of situation exists.

But looking back, the area has been mined by the natives with their wooden gold pan or "bilingan" for centuries, even long before the Spaniards arrived and the environmental impact has been minimal or nil. Regulated recreational mining in conjunction with reforestration might be a "win-win" solution but for it to work we have to keep the Big Boys like the well-financed undocumented mainland Chinese (shades of gold-rush Ghana) with their out-sized sluices and backhoes, OUT!

My apologies to the Moderator for the somewhat un-TreasureNet tone of the above.

tabu

Postscript 2:

This additional Google-earth image is one of the places mined by an American old timer and adventurer during the late American colonial era or during the period preceding World War II. On actual field inspection, in the vicinity of the pool of water in the center of the picture, one can still appreciate vestiges of old hillside channel cuts running straight down to the river's edge but now heavily covered by debris. There's still an appreciable amount of gold as it has been reworked for some time prior to the imposition of the current mining prohibition by the government. Trivia: This particular spot is approximately 23 kilometers from the City Hall by helicopter!

Update: On top (date: March 14, 2015) is the same place after all illegal mining activities were halted since the previous satellite imagery was posted. pigsag-an.jpg

p.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

I use Google Earth to view areas within 50 miles of my house. Basically, looking for farms, old houses, parks, old schools...etc. Then, seek permission to hunt the area.

Regards,

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
705 views and no comment? Lots of lurkers or just people not wanting to help?

I need more experience with G Earth before trying to post meaningful information/tips! I usually find myself getting lost as I enlarge and move around!

I like Sniffer's contribution: "if you interested in gold in ca., first thing I would do is, a search of public records for gold claims and where they are located, overlay their locations on a map of the area and get a topographical map of the same area to figure out elevations and which way the water runs. then a good plan would be to follow the water courses down stream and find pools of water, sharp bends in the rivers, bedrock that sticks up and search around them".

Thank you Sniffer!

Last edited:

RockRaven

Jan 19, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X80, Magnum 420, 220, RM6, Coin Mag, 77B, Yukon Nugget, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Gold. Master Hunter ADS 7, CXII, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro 220, TR550, 840 Auto , Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are looking for lodes and not just placers, look for large rifts and breaks that form the boundary zones between major mineral types near a large igneous intrusion. These are the easiest type of mineralized zones in mountainous terrain to see from google earth. Some pegmatites and gold-bearing veins can be found by tracing these types of zones. A great way to start finding these zones is to get into the current and historical USGS and state geological survey maps, combine these with the data from LR2000 and a good library search on local mining history, then practice by zooming in on the google map and find the old or existing mines. Trace the geology in that area. Really, the best place to start a search for placers is with book and BLM data first, find out the history and existing claims, what produced and when, then try and find areas that are the same. Google "learningGIS.com" to learn how to use the earthexplorer interface and find historical aerial overflight photos that will appear as a sort of overlay onto google earth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread