What to look for when using Google Earth?

L

Lone Wolf

Google earth lets me get enough detail to see lines/ditches in fields that don't look like they are plow mines / tractor marks, etc. , but can anyone say specifically what to look for, when it comes to finding old homesteads? Some lines and discolorations seem to start in the middle of a field, and don't really go anywhere.

This looks like an excellent tool, when I can figure out what to look for.. ;)

Thanks

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=Lone Wolf Some lines and discolorations seem to start in the middle of a field, and don't really go anywhere.
Don't mistake present boundries for previous ones, so forget present fields etc.

Tropical Tramp

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Keep an open mind. There's no telling what you'll see!

For example - ancient roads and paths may cross modern roads, and property boundaries.

Burial sites may show up as small craters, either round or rectangular.

Study things for scale.

For example - an area I might want to look at is below (open the attached kml file).

I find that arched groove (as if something heavy were dragged there) VERY interesting!

Practice makes perfect!

Marc

Attachments

• burial.kml
    647 bytes · Views: 1,145

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I actually have those marked myself!!!!!

Great question.

I would love to find out, but I suspect they are more modern marks.

Why? 1. They are all inside a modern property boundary, and 2. the trail leading to them emanates from the modern property corner.

Maybe they set up sprinklers there?

OP
OP
L

Lone Wolf

Marc, I see what you mean. I't points right to a mound.

OK, now I have a better idea what to look for, thanks!

OP
OP
L

Lone Wolf

How about the red circled area?
That looks interesting to me.

gm1.jpg

Thanks for the tips! :)

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi lone girl chaser, don't forget to orient your views so that elevations appear as that, not depressions. Rotate your view aprox. 180* so that S is at the top of your screen generally.

Tropical Tramp

OP
OP
L

Lone Wolf

Marc

gm1.jpg

It was in the post above, dont know what happened...

OP
OP
L

Lone Wolf

Here's one that gets me interested. Input anyone? I do appreciate any help offered

possible.jpg

I like how the trail winds around what used to be the treeline.

Thanks all :)

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
I downloaded google earth,but couldn't fiqure out how do to a search or couldn't get it to do a search.Removed it from my computer.I sure wanted the program though.I was looking for Fort Chinabee near Oxford,Alabama.It was an outpost for Andrew Jackson located on Wolfs skull creek.

OP
OP
L

Lone Wolf

Do you have GPS coordinates? Or specific nearby roads? Google earth doesnt show creek names.
I'm willing to post or email you a pic (or pics), no problem

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
My problem is when I get to an area outside of town,in the country,that section that I'm interested in,doesn't have the calarity to see old roads or field lines.Is there a download available to fix this or is it just the way it is?

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
I'm sure your right about the provider assumption. It doesn't help us who are interested in out of the way places,such as old settlements,farms,and Indian villages(hope that statement doesn'T upset anyone).

yes,I do give it time to load up and keep my eyes on the bars.Thanks about zoom out and will try it.

kcommandos

Oct 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
whites classic idx
seems to me that google earth just takes to long to come up where Tera server
goes faster just the bad part no color or you could have faster conect

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOne wolf. I was wondering how you tell the difference between current tracks and past tracks? I cannot find away to export my KML file but here are the coordinates. Please look at this and tell me what you think. If nothing is there anything in the immediate that interests you. This area was populated in the 1600's It is near the town of Freysville, in PA

39 55'24.7n, 76 35'50.2w

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did some research on a tavern mentioned in George Washington's diary. Got the general location from historical documents.

Additional research revealed the building was torn down in 1925 and the stone removed to build a near-by house. Still, the 2002 sat photos show the distinct outline of the structure.

I guess it's hard to hide a place where people gathered together for over 200 years...

DCMatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread