Cocos Island (land of many a buried treasure legends)

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Coco's Island (land of many a buried treasure legends)

Very interesting indeed! It helps me little since I know there's probably not way of ever getting personal access onto the island. I also didn't realize it was a nature preserve. That's the island that they based the Jurassic Park movies off of, and it was also supposed that the book Treasure Island was also written about the island. I definitely didn't think about being on research ship in the area. That made perfect sense. I wonder if there are alternate reasons for not wanting you on certain parts of the island, outside of the nature aspect of it. I'd love to go explore the island myself. Definitely sounds pretty rough... but I think it'd be one of those "once in a lifetime" kinda deals. Anyway, thanks for all the info... feel free to post anything else you might have remembered about the island. I don't know why, but that's one of the few places I have a definite draw to for some reason....

Bran <><

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others

Hey gang,
It would make sense to me that the local govt. would want to keep people off the island if they were recovering or at least searching for treasure.

The US Govt. does the same thing here in the States.

Just some food for thought.

Heavy Chevy

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, I know...

But WHY can't it be ME?!!!! lol!! ;)

I should seriously write a letter to the Costa Rican government, offering my abilities (almost a laugh on such a large scale!) to try and locate treasure "for them" on the island!! Wouldn't that just be spiffy to get a letter saying "Sure, c'mon over and join the hunt!"

Bran <><

Expired

Greenie
Dec 9, 2007
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
None ATM.

I am no expert, and I haven't really done that much research into this island..
I'm just starting to research treasure sites, but I have been interested in treasure and relics all my life.
I'm just looking at what I would do, if I had a large stash of gold waiting to be buried..

I doubt that the pirates would have drug their booty that far inward.
But if they did, they probably would have looked for some natural formation to bury it by..
Like a waterfall, formation of rocks, or small pool of water.
I also doubt that the trail was made by them, and that it was probably from those settler's or other THer's.

For some reason I find it more likely that they buried it on the outer edge of the island.
I also find it more likely that they located most of the treasure on the southern side of the island, than the northern.
Most likely they looked for a natural made inlet, or cave to stash their loot in/near.

EX. #1
isla-coco.jpg

found at..
5°32'52.67"N, 87° 3'38.34"W

This cave however was on the northern side of the island, in a pretty nice spot that I wouldn't mind anchoring my ship at.
It is also protected from the southern winds, so it is pretty calm.. Wave height in this area is pretty low to begin with.

If I was a pirate I would have located my treasure on the southern side where it is harder to get to.
Here are a list of some of the inlets, and other stuff I thought looked interesting on Google Earth..

** Some of the more interesting **
5°31'48.97"N, 87° 5'19.25"W
5°30'26.33"N, 87° 4'57.82"W
5°30'11.52"N, 87° 4'42.03"W
5°30'19.45"N, 87° 4'50.89"W (Two next to eachother)
5°31'10.36"N, 87° 2'47.09"W
5°30'43.32"N, 87° 3'43.16"W
5°31'23.21"N, 87° 2'32.81"W (Could be an overhang, might be able to walk in)
5°31'33.46"N, 87° 2'13.60"W (Trail going up hillside??)
5°31'21.72"N, 87° 2'37.29"W (Path?? Something up farther on the path.)
5°30'40.06"N, 87° 3'49.23"W (Path with large area cut out at end??)

** Others **
5°31'1.95"N, 87° 5'30.24"W
5°30'19.49"N, 87° 4'47.73"W (Could be a path above)
5°31'29.73"N, 87° 2'5.69"W
5°31'7.82"N, 87° 3'0.72"W
5°30'41.65"N, 87° 3'51.42"W (Small pool inlet)

**Other stuff**
5°30'55.26"N, 87° 5'30.95"W (Looks like a pretty good path)
5°30'6.35"N, 87° 4'37.17"W (Looks like a ledge overhanging the shoreline)
5°30'18.09"N, 87° 4'4.86"W (Small island/rock)
5°30'34.84"N, 87° 3'15.78"W (Smaller island/rock)
5°30'45.39"N, 87° 3'56.21"W (Path going pretty far up?? about .3 Miles)

Just saying if I had the money, and a chance to go search these islands.. That is where I would look first.
Then I would concentrate on further inland.

-Nathan

FireRescue

Jul 28, 2007
Middle Georgia

I'm never one to chase shadows, usually I'm a pure skeptic. But if the expedition to there did find some eights or other treasure remnants there might be something stowed away there :spam4:.

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007

Benito's cipher? For what it's worth, any treasure cipher these days is probably a waste of time for the average Joe. Between the OSS, CIA, NSA, KGB, MGB, ABC, BBC, NBC, PBS... well, guess I'm getting carried away. But, if there was a code to be cracked, with the kind of resources and computing power at the fingertips of these guys, whatever treasure existed is long gone. And, like they'd tell anybody?

I still wonder where all that Nazi gold, diamonds, etc. robbed from European countries and Jews ended up. Skorzeny didn't control all of it.

FireRescue

Jul 28, 2007
Middle Georgia

There was some talk a while back on tv about some guys who had found a bunch of Nazi gold. I didn't hear anything else about it.
Maybe somebody around here did???

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005

I have read the stories of CoCo's Island some years back. It seems, as I recall, that the Lima Peru
church treasure of gold and silver statues were taken there sometime in the past by mistake. It was put on a ship for safe keeping during a coo? Maybe. Also it was claimed as many as 10 pirates, at
different times, had buried or deposited treasure on the island. Many expeditions have looked for it, but the problems seem to be temps of 130 degrees and up, combined with rugged jungle so thick
you can hardly hack through it. Add to this that there is only one entrance to the island, as the other three sides are sheer cliffs. It is as bad as it gets in difficulty, as far as treasure hunting is concerned.
One expedition of 90 people or so spent six months on the island and only explored 200 yards or so. At this rate it would take years just to map the island. It is one of those places that can make a treasure hunters blood boil for sure. It is off limits except to a few chosen groups. But you can still dream.

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007

Nazi gold on TV? I didn't see that. But, I did see an hour long program about a treasure hunt for diamonds. Story went that two GI's took them from some Germans they killed in a village office. Turns out the office was near an SS diamond cutting operation. In other words, Jewish diamond cutters. Of course, the Jews ended up being murdered - they were blood diamonds.

A few years ago, one of the soldiers (the other was killed in combat), led the search team to the wooded area where the two had buried the rocks in 1944. Assuming all this was on the up and up, it was a really amazing documentary. They did a lot of searching around old depressions (fox hole positions). Then, the guy saw a tree obviously decades old laying across a depression. The stump end was shattered. He recognized it as the tree behind their fox hole that had been hit by an 88mm shell (it had fallen on top of them).

They dug, and in the mud uncut diamonds began to appear like magic! They smuggled them out of Germany (supposedly to eventually give them to some Zionist organization).

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005

Go to Lost Treasure Online and read the Tale of the day about treasure island, also called CoCo's Island. It is a fairly well documented tale of treasure buried on the island.

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5

I am in the Navy onboard the USS George Washington and curiously enough, we just left Guam. There is in fact an island called Coco's Island on the southern tip of Guam. I was researching it a while back and learned that in 1690 the Nuestra Senora del Pilar hit the southern reef at Cocos Island. Cocos Island history records that the ship was coming from Acapulco, Mexico, headed to Manila for an annual festival. The ship was headed past Cocos Islands with shipments of silver swords and artifacts. The bottom of the ship was damaged after hitting the reef off of Cocos Islands and soon sunk. I read about some guy who has the rights to dive the site, I also read rumor that they found a chest of silver but not much more. It is estimated that it there are many millions of dollars worth of stuff there. Then again, it's right on the edge of the Marianas Trench so a storm could have easily dragged it into the abyss. Who knows.

Sean J McCoy

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2015
Lakewood, Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pirate Benito Bonito set off explosives above the cave entrance to the treasure setting off a land slide that buried the cave. There's tons of boulders to remove before getting to the entrance. None of the 300 expeditions to Cocos had any earth moving equipment.

Do you have any references for that info on Bonito? I'm researching for an article on the treasure history of Coco.

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
I am sure you know that is a fake report, Mac, but other folks may be a tad more gullible!...It is NOT TRUE.

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
There is always sometime gullible enough to click; and like goldfish, their attention span is short.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Smithbrown,
IMO, the World Daily News article is supposed to be clickbait under the guise of satire, used to drive traffic to their site in order to generate ad revenue. There's nothing funny about it. It's just a way to trick gullible people into generating revenue for them. This same article appeared a year ago and many TN comments were made at that time--saying the story was a fake--yet it's fascinating reading. Hopefully, some day, it may become a true story.
Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions