Could this be a cave????

ff404

Sep 16, 2007
Doing some research on a project, of course Google Earth plays a substantial part of the long-distance research. Looking for a cave on the side of a mountain with some interesting contents, and browsing through images on Google Earth from the past found these shots that were taken during the winter, when all the leaves would be cleared off of the trees. Noticed these 2 black spots as you can see in the attached image. Does anyone believe that these are possibly a cave entrance?

My reasons for tending to believe it is possible are that they appear different from any other shadow or anything in the image and when you tilt the image to the ground level view in Google Earth it still appears as a black hole in the rocks. Does anyone have any input??? Any help will be appreciated!

Attachments

• cave.jpg
    cave.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,978
S

stefen

I would guess thats its a shadow of an overhanging rock mass...

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know. try to go in the winter time and see you should be able to see from the ground.youll need repelling gear and alot of rope. If its in north Ga let me know.

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
I doubt it but if it is close to you, it is worth a shot if for no other reason it helps you understand what you are seeing in these photos. In my experience, it does not look like a cave. I agree with a previous post that it is a shadow of a rock outcrop or small cliff. Try to understand too that even though you changed your angle of view on GoogleEarth, that does not change the angle of the photo. The photos are taken from above or a slight angle. The elevation stretches that image when you adjust your viewpoint but it does not give you a different true view of anything. So, a shadow stays a shadow. You dont get to look around the rock. That is a completely different type of photography.
Good luck!

songdog

May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you check against a topo map to see if that showed anything?
Just a suggestion.

peralta

Sep 28, 2011
oahu hawaii
Detector(s) used
Whites 2-box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing some research on a project, of course Google Earth plays a substantial part of the long-distance research. Looking for a cave on the side of a mountain with some interesting contents, and browsing through images on Google Earth from the past found these shots that were taken during the winter, when all the leaves would be cleared off of the trees. Noticed these 2 black spots as you can see in the attached image. Does anyone believe that these are possibly a cave entrance?

My reasons for tending to believe it is possible are that they appear different from any other shadow or anything in the image and when you tilt the image to the ground level view in Google Earth it still appears as a black hole in the rocks. Does anyone have any input??? Any help will be appreciated!

This type of hunting might be ok for large foundations but even then they might just be rock cropings . A bush or boulder can cast shadows but everytime something looks odd you will be hiking to check it.
Looking down from a hill is better, your more likely to find true markings.carry binoculars and a camera.
Good Luck
Tom

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a cave to me in the pic but I always take the ground view and then remove it and then tilt the view to the side to see what I am looking at. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesnt. Either way it looks like a long hike. After you tilt the image change the age view to see if it changes the pic of the image. Sometimes this will work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread