Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also a timeline function in Google Earth . The little clock icon allows you to scroll through older dated aerial views. In the Houston area, these aerials go back to to 1944.

Wayne

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love using the picture overlay feature to superimpose historic maps over current ones. It really gives you a great visual of how the old locations are situated.

vtgoldprospector

Jun 27, 2012
Eastern Long Island
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, my hands and a pan!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold Map Maker and Google Earth image overlay tips.

I have worked with a number of USGS maps and overlaid them on current Google Earth imagery. As a tip for larger maps I suggest cutting the map into smaller sections and overlay each one independently. This will help in a few ways. One is Google Earth (normal version) will limit the image size. If the image is to large much detail will be lost when trying to zoom in. Another is that GE will run better viewing small sections opposed to a large map (results will vary depending upon your computer). Finally, back in the old days they were pretty good with drawing any one particular feature but often had issues with the positioning of these features in relation to each other. For example, while a river or county line may overlay well, other features are out of position. Upon correcting these other features you will find that it just makes it worse. Small segments independently placed will give you the best alignment. It may be a bit of work to produce but will be a much better outcome in the end.

Vermont 2010 bedrock overburden in 13 segments.
gmm_map_sample1.jpg

Gold Map Maker -- The ultimate prospecting tool!

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another good tool is Maprika. It has a map editor for the pc, and you can do it on your mobile phone. Doesn't have transparency features, but you can snap a pic of a map and overlay it quickly and see your gps location in real time. Works great for fairs, theme parks and detecting using historic maps. Plus you can upload them to a server and they can be seen by anyone using the site. Or just remain private for you. Also try tect o tract for android. That is a great app for making and staying within grids. Both FREE. And if you people didn't like free you wouldn't have spent so much on your detectors...:laughing7:

cassandra

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When looking at an old supposed treasure map, I was able to identify a previously unidentified object underwater using google earth. The rock formation depicted on the map matched up perfectly with dark spots in the shallow water on google earth. I am hoping to verify this on site in the near future.

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When looking at an old supposed treasure map, I was able to identify a previously unidentified object underwater using google earth. The rock formation depicted on the map matched up perfectly with dark spots in the shallow water on google earth. I am hoping to verify this on site in the near future.

Well don't forget about the rest of us. Keep us informed.

MentalMetal314

Aug 29, 2013
MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did some research and found that Maprika works well for and it's easy to use. I downloaded some local maps or you can screen shot them as well as scan them as .jpg files. The key to making it work to its fullest potential is matching up intersect points from the old maps to the new. The more accurate intersects you make the better the the old map will scale. I just used it this past weekend to find an old homestead we were searching for and this technique took us right to the foundation. It was amazing and we dug up an 1848 Large Cent just off the old road getting there. Here is the link to the vid we put up on YouTube from our hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread