JMC807

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2013
Nature Coast, Fl
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have any tips or direction for this area? My wife and I are fairly new to MDing and have done a ton of research on our county. The biggest problem we find is everything seems to either be protected(state land) or private. Not much for just going out in the woods and lookin...which I suspect is a big dilemma everywhere else too....
Is "getting permission" to hunt private land the majority of areas MD'ers tend to go towards or is there something I've missed??? I have looked at aerial and "historically significant" maps and just seem to hit dead ends. Any suggestions are appreciated,Thanks.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Go to your county seat in Inverness to tax office and ask for the old Gov't Survey plats of the 1800's. Have a notebook to jot down Range/Township/Section of old pioneer homesteads and/or settlements, river crossings, Indian towns and anything that smells like treasure. The tax people can cross reference for you if you need permission on private land. Go to the library and request the History of Citrus and Hernando county. That Battle of Bayport was a Civil War naval engagement against a Confederate port guarded by a cannon battery. That book will have a CW map of the layout. A boat ramp sits on the fort site but the rifle pits may still be there. I tracked down the owner about 20 years ago and he weren't real friendly but maybe there are new owners now. Coins are the only thing to look for, buy a good spring steel bottle probe and learn to probe for trash pits and privy holes for old bottles. Some are worth their =weight in gold.

OP
OP
J

JMC807

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2013
Nature Coast, Fl
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thank you for the info. I have been looking on the property appraisers site and finding a few leads, but I will research this and let you know if I get a good bite. Thanks again.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a copy of "FLORIDA AT WAR"-Donald D Spencer,published 2011 Schiffer Publishing,Ltd.
E-Mail: [email protected] if you can't find it locally.
The book contains all the forts,battles,etc and locations from the Spanish era to WWII.There is a lot of Seminole War and some Civil War history in Citrus County.
Also take a short trip to the village of Pineola south of Floral City on 39.There was quite a train wreck there in the days of yesteryear.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread