Potential hunting spot?

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a park right next to the river and there is a small island not to far from the shore on the park side. Do you think this would have potential for anything more than just pocket change from swimmers way back when the river was still non toxic? I am just wondering if it would be worth my time to detect it since it is pretty grown over.

park island.PNG

Last edited:

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I would suggest trying to find older maps of the area that might show what the island looked like back 50+ years ago. It's entirely possible that the island used to be part of the park but the river eventually cut an extra channel around the island over the years. If that's indeed the case, you'd have a stronger potential for finds on what's now the island.

I've used old maps to find topographical changes around Rutgers - including an old branch of the Raritan River back 150 years ago that is now buildings and a manicured part of the Rutgers campus green. No trace that the tributary ever existed.

OP
OP
krazyace

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip, while it was not connected I did find that there was a smaller island that is now gone to the left of the bottom point of that island. I wonder if it was removed by man or nature...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread