Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I tried to help, but got this response:
"Due to the Federal government shutdown, usgs.gov and most associated web sites are unavailable.Only web sites necessary to protect lives and property will be maintained."
But to answer your Q, yes, there are several sites that can assist you.
Do you have a time range and a more specific location for your request?
Don..

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about the whole west side region of Puerto Rico. But I'd love to have Mayaguez,Cabo Rojo, San German and Hormigueros city areas.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, forgot the time span but im thinking of the earliest images available. Maps I believe there are from the Columbus periods available. But any help I would really appreciate!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow awesome man! Thanx alot dude!!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
. You may already know that some historians also mentioned the Horomico river as one of the main sources of gold during the rush of the era.
In 1692, the town of Hormigueros was first established, first as a village of Mayaguez.
Don.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that the first San German settlement was established in the Añasco river near the beach! Trust me Im doing my homework. I'm feeling like a teenager in high school again! Well thats what my wife is telling and making jokes! LOL!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
F2,
Can you give us a more narrow description of your quest?
For example, are you looking for a geological feature, a structure (existing or now gone); a specific geographic name, like a river, town, mountain, etc.?
Don.....

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
And that the first San German settlement was established in the Añasco river near the beach! Trust me Im doing my homework. I'm feeling like a teenager in high school again! Well thats what my wife is telling and making jokes! LOL!

If I had given half the time that I spend now to studying the books in high school I could have really been something.....Dr. Lawyer, Accountant............:BangHead:

L.C. baker

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F2, Can you give us a more narrow description of your quest? For example, are you looking for a geological feature, a structure (existing or now gone); a specific geographic name, like a river, town, mountain, etc.? Don.....
Well I'm searching for a historic site to metal detect. The site is the birth place of one of the oldest european settlement in Puerto Rico. I'm talking about early 1500's. It was located from the river mouth in Añasco heading south beside the beach stretching some 2 miles south of the river!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still looking, but nothing yet. If only I could find a 1500's map or later describing the location. I saw in some guy's blog he mentioned that you could see like the early building of a Fortin (small fort) located in the front of the beach near the Añasco river...still haven't found it yet. The story says that the fort began construction but never finished. The people got tired of being attacked by indians, pirates and the French. So they just decided to leave the village to settle in another location. So in the guy's blog he said he saw it. I tried to contact the guy through email but never answered. I think he does not want to reveal its location! Jmm I wonder why...... ;)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Is there a year and a name to the settlement on which the fort was under construction?
Don.....
PS: Just found the answer to my own question:
Anasco town was proceeded by the first settlement of San German. In Novermber 1511, Juan Ponce de León handed over governorship to Juan Ceron, a lieutenant of the viceroy Diego Colon (son of Cristobal Colon or Cristopher Columbus). Ceron ordered Miguel de Toro, a lieutenant of Juan Ponce de León, to create a "Christian Village" in western Borinquen, calling it San German. This was the second attempt of foundation given in 1511 at the mouth of the Guaorabo River (present day Rio Anasco), near the area known today as Anasco, Puerto Rico. This first settlement was attacked in 1528, 1538, and again in 1554. A fort to protect this town began in 1540, but its construction was suspended in 1546 when the people decided to move inland being tired of attacks. Attacks by Carib Indians forced the population to move south inland to the present site of the present town of San German.

So the site you are looking for is between the Guaorabo River (Rio Anasco) and the town of San German.
Don.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking a few places near the Añasco river but still nothing. I'm starting to believe that most of the area has been altered by modern day construction and development. There are still a few locations that could bear old and undisturbed earth but they are all private property. Finding stuff that dates from that time will be difficult. Vegetation in our climate grows incredibly fast and abundantly! So I'm pretty shure artifacts might be pretty deep if it hasn't been disturbed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread