What used to be here any ideas

kdenz

Mar 31, 2013
SHAW A.F.B, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here are two square looking patch of woods that stand out supposedly there were logging camps in spread around a couple hundred acres of these woods
gfbgfndn.jpg

OP
OP
kdenz

kdenz

Mar 31, 2013
SHAW A.F.B, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another question i found these x's. On google earth when i date back in 1998 i see these x's but the next latest date in 2005 its gone?? efv.jpg ef2.jpg

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told that the "x"'s is for satellite alignment purposes of fixed ground longitude / latitude locations.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told that the "x"'s is for satellite alignment purposes of fixed ground longitude / latitude locations.
You might be right but I am always suspicious that Archie's are identifying things to get them protected by bureaucrats. I have noticed that a lot of the treasure legends appear to lead to state parks or federal lands that are off limits to digging, detecting, etc. I am sure that is no accident.

Last edited:
S

stefen

X's on a ground plane are most likely targets set by a surveyor which are used for aerial topographic mapping.

A grade circuit is made between each "x" providing an elevation which a mapper uses to set the aerial pictures so single-line contours can be interpolated.

Generally a wooded area is so dense that the ground cannot be configured accurately.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The squares in your first pics look like large corrals where all but the resilient weeds & brush are left or have grown back after cattle or sheep have eaten everything. If you go through the history, you can see the logging activity. Interesting!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread