Sandmaniac

Sandmaniac

Jan 23, 2007
Rehoboth Ma.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can definitely MD it. According to a map of the 1870's its sits on what was known as The Great Swamp. I would imagine the EPA considers it wetlands.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Here are some closer photos from different directions:
ground mark north.JPG
ground mark east.JPG
ground mark south.JPG
ground mark west.JPG
tell us if you find anything. HH,
Donny

OP
OP
Sandmaniac

Sandmaniac

Jan 23, 2007
Rehoboth Ma.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Don those are great thanks, supposed to be in the fifties this weekend. I'm heading over to the site first thing in the morning. I'll keep you posted
mike

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder what that round area was ???

OP
OP
Sandmaniac

Sandmaniac

Jan 23, 2007
Rehoboth Ma.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just came from the sight. The outer walls and inner circles rise up about 3 feet from the ground. I walked the whole perimeter and dug in a couple of spots. seems to be a cement foundation underneath. between the site and the tracks is the foundation of a small red brick structure, probably had something to do with the railroad. its not as easy to get to as it looks. Its surrounded on all sides by swamp and thick reeds. you have to walk along the tracks, and in order to do that you have to cut through private property.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it was a saw mill because the area looks clear cutted along time ago.Just a guess.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
MIKE, The SWAMP.

I use to duck hunt when it was allowed out there also deer hunt there's more foundations out there in other places also..I often thought of going back to MD it. but never did....there are other structures closer to the high way between Trull rd and North st.before the high way was built there was a road that came from rt133 near dewing school and went into that area from the 495 side if you go up or down the high way you can almost make it out still. I grew up there went to that school explored those woods from top to bottom...some stange stuff... old still sites from proabition times...found some caches there!! got some jars w/ coins in them!! get out there check it out its a tough place lots of mud and water...its always changing cause of bever dams/rain ect..be carefull!!

umdb

Jan 28, 2007
Looks like a baseball baseball diamond, but could be an old Nike missle site. They were everywhere on the east coast back in the 50's and 60's.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
You know what those three (I see three sites) look like? An oil or fuel holding tank area... The earthen square boarders are there to hold a spill if one should happen. The round centers are the base of the tanks (now gone).

In addition, in one picture, there looks to be a line to/from the area and heading out through the neighborhood... possible oil/fuel line now abandoned.

The whole thing being along the tracks makes sense too - for delivery...

Justa thought.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Thats a pretty far hike from the tracks for it to be with the railroad......I think those surrounding walls ..mounds ...are because its in the swamp and looks to be to keep the water out....

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
gypsyheart said:
Thats a pretty far hike from the tracks for it to be with the railroad......I think those surrounding walls ..mounds ...are because its in the swamp and looks to be to keep the water out....

Gyspy, Yes... I agree - if it was a system to water old steam engines for example, but I was thinking just fuel storage which would have included pumphouses and movable equipment )hoses/lines) to get stuff from a tanker to a holding tank. That was my thought... of course in my mind I can see all just fine! LOL :D

Seems it might be simple enough to research locally... I dunno... :-\

I'm still trying! See below...

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
The below image showing a small part of a 1934 town blueprint is from this site, the other is from Google Earth. The red dots are the circles in the squares... There seems to be nothing there in 1934!

http://www.tewksburyhistoricalsociety.org/Archives/maps/index.html

However there was a chemical station West of town in 1909 that may hev stored chemicals further town the track... (Sorry, just can't let it go).

Attachments

• tewks.jpg
    tewks.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 2,780

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Ok....whatever was there was probally there before 1918. This area was pretty populated before that time until a huge fire swept through and burned many buildings. I am thinking that even tho the area shows alot of trees, that in 1909 there werent any and the fields were probally open to the tracks. If you look at the picture of the Town hall there are no trees in the background and this would have backed up to the area we are researching now. The town hall and congretional church were on Town Hall Avenue

Attachments

• almont-station Inter.North and East Street.JPG
    almont-station Inter.North and East Street.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,634
  • old town hall and congretional church...before fire.JPG
    old town hall and congretional church...before fire.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,712
  • old town hall   the poor farm1909.gif
    old town hall the poor farm1909.gif
    71 KB · Views: 2,825
OP
OP
Sandmaniac

Sandmaniac

Jan 23, 2007
Rehoboth Ma.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to bounce back and forth between sites. About 250 yards away is where I found the model T Ford with the jars from the late 1800's. You can see the outline of a rectangular foundation where the pin is, but I can't seem to find it. I think it might be just the trees and my eyes are playing tricks on me. Thats also where the car is.
it isn't easy. I will keep you posted

Attachments

• swamp.jpg
    swamp.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 2,719
  • swamp2.jpg
    swamp2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 2,682

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow this sounds like fun... and old ??? Not sure what you are looking at but keep checking those site s out.

God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions