Can you spot trail markers from google earth?and things in anza borrego during search

czachary

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weird object.jpg

Looking around trying to find trail markers(BIG ONES) on the google earth and evidence of environmental damage and potential talus piles found these few things. The cylinder shape has a shadow so it is elevated off the ground. Wish could lay eyes on it and see what it is. Cut into side of a slope....

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty to be found on GE. If you use the little street view guy icon, you can get a little detail from a horizontal point of view. You sometimes have to zoom in & out several times to find a good level. Don't forget to use the historical imagery slider! You can narrow down when structures were built or torn down. Search your area with it on the older imagery to see what was there (buildings) that isn't there now in the newer imagery, good bet it hasn't been hunted. Same technique as comparing old topos to current ones. Save up your coords. in a file for that particular area and load them in your GPS. When you can get out to that area, you can make a fun day of checking your GE finds. Don't forget to keep notes & pics! The more you use this the better your eyes get at spotting things. Sure a lot more fun nowdays! Beats a spare room of stacks of topos! Hope that gives you some help finding the good spots!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
czachary,

NO, you won't find trail markers, symbols, or anything REAL on GE, unless you have already seen them up close and know where to look on GE.

GE will only give you a million shadows and overlay mirages. There are a ton of trail markers in Anza Borrego Desert. Remember, Capt Juan Antonio De Anza's Trail from Nogales to Monterrey goes along the Eastern edge of the Coyote and Fish Creek Mountains. They camped at the San Sebastian Marsh (confluence of San Felipe Creek and Carrizo Wash). They then traveled around the North side of Borrego Mountain following San Felipe Creek, up through Borrego Springs, through Coyote Canyon, and over the hill towards the ocean.

Spend some time following that trail and you will find a bunch of trail markers, water source monuments, and such. There are no shortcuts (I.E. GE). Just get out there and use your eyes. Take some pictures, and post them. If you have some of the real markers, I will let you know it. There's probably not a 100 foot patch of ground in Anza Borrego that I haven't put a foot in.

I don't give too much assistance to armchair explorers, but if you spend time out there, I don't mind helping out.

Best - Mike

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
czachary,

NO, you won't find trail markers, symbols, or anything REAL on GE, unless you have already seen them up close and know where to look on GE.

GE will only give you a million shadows and overlay mirages. There are a ton of trail markers in Anza Borrego Desert. Remember, Capt Juan Antonio De Anza's Trail from Nogales to Monterrey goes along the Eastern edge of the Coyote and Fish Creek Mountains. They camped at the San Sebastian Marsh (confluence of San Felipe Creek and Carrizo Wash). They then traveled around the North side of Borrego Mountain following San Felipe Creek, up through Borrego Springs, through Coyote Canyon, and over the hill towards the ocean.

Spend some time following that trail and you will find a bunch of trail markers, water source monuments, and such. There are no shortcuts (I.E. GE). Just get out there and use your eyes. Take some pictures, and post them. If you have some of the real markers, I will let you know it. There's probably not a 100 foot patch of ground in Anza Borrego that I haven't put a foot in.

I don't give too much assistance to armchair explorers, but if you spend time out there, I don't mind helping out.

Best - Mike
Hey Gollum! Thanks for clarifying what I left off. GE is good to start out if you're new to an area. Of course as you said, nothing better than boots on the ground except research. But sometimes you'll see a "whatsit" in GE and end up stumbling on something getting there. Again, thanks for clarifying for him!!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an example, if you have Chuck Kenworthy's Book "Monuments and Trail Markers to Treasure", there is a monument of a face that is kind of melted looking. I am at work and don't have books here right now. Here is that monument from GE:

ckmelty1.jpg

It is in AB Desert just off of San Felipe Creek, near the Southern entrance to the Borrego Badlands. If I didn't know exactly where it was, I could NEVER have seen it on GE.

NO SUBSTITUTION for boots on the ground!

Best - Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread