is it illegal to dig up old stuff?

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read somewhere online you can't dig up anything over 100 years old is this true?

How would you know if it's "over 100 yrs old" if you don't dig it up? If it is then you have already opened that can of worms. So you question imparts a answer of "don't ever dig anything up" as it could be illegal...

Quite a conundrum now isn't it? There is no right answer..I just set my tector to "notch out anything over 100 yrs old" and issue solved. :headbang:

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always do the Clinton defense what's your definition of dig? lol

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
I see a lot of archeologist hate on treasure forums, and this one seems to be no different. You do realize that they're simply doing exactly what you're doing, except they went to school for it, paid their dues, got a real job, and made a life for themselves -- versus the majority of the whiners, who somehow know more than the professionals, because they use a metal detector on a beach when they get a day off from their fast food job.

I've asked this question a number of times over the years whenever I read or hear about some sort of coverup or conspiracy involving archeologists: what do they get out of it by covering it up? Apply that question to just about any scenario out there, including the Smithsonain conspiracy's, giants, ancient Chinese, etc. It just doesn't pass the smell test.

So, Haters, what say you?

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
because they use a metal detector on a beach when they get a day off from their fast food job.

I always wondered how some of these people could afford to spend 1500,2500,5000,7500 dollars on detectors.Now I know so Im offf to apply at mcdonalds. :hello2:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh..what? Are you being funny? You've been a member since 2013 and your seriously asking this?

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I say..who gives a shii.. did you post this just to talk trash about people who detect.

Some artist paid their dues too..by living on the streets and doing drugs...go them

Well, actually, I give a shii (whatever that is), or I wouldn't have brought it up. I am all for hearing/reading other peoples opinions, but at some point, I'd also like to hear/read their reasons or justifications. Too many good discussions have been shat upon by someone dropping some conspiracy bomb that they saw on Ancient Aliens and then just leave it at that. (I love AA, by the way) I am also a new, but avid metal detector. I use a Garrett's GTI 2500 and after three months, I still suck at it. I did find two silver quarters at a local beach here in Southern Utah yesterday though, which were my first non-clad finds so far.

I really just want to know why some people think that archeologists hide things, or why science as a whole hides things. Where is the incentive or motivation? Links to Alex Jones will not cut it, btw.

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:skullflag:TroutBumDave, Welcome to our hobby. I went back and read this thread as it was pretty old. Sometimes people tend to wander off the thread and disagreements and such come up. That's the nature of different opinions and misunderstandings. I just go out looking for places to dive and MD with one of my many detectors. To answer the original question; it is NOT illegal to dig something over 100 years old. Finding it is not the problem. It is, however, just getting harder to LEGALLY keep it. Many states are dropping some real stupid laws on us that say we have to do really stupid things like return items to the place we recovered them, turn them in to the proper departmental idiot and such. Some states have 50 year limits and some have 100. I live and detect beaches, wrecks, schoolyards, parks and any place else I happen to wander into. I have never run into anyone who thought they were going to make me return anything to the ground or give it to them or turn it in. I have gone out detector diving for weeks on end and never had anyone of authority even question me about any of my hunts. Nor have I been stupid enough to call and ask them if I could keep a coin or anything in my dive bag. I am in Florida. Their laws are getting worse every time one of our elected turncoats walks in and introduces a new bill about treasure hunting, detecting or just having a detector on state property. My grandparents lived here and so it went all the way back into the 20's. I remember someone of very high notoriety, whom I will not mention, using dynamite on the reefs back in the early days. I have been involved in treasure hunting as far back as the late 50's. Things that were acceptable conduct then have long since been deemed criminal activities. Some I agree with and some I don't. I'm not saying what I would do if I did find that next big find. Some of these laws are going to turn some of us into real pirates. We all know archeologists and science are not pure evil entities that are out to get us. They are just one small piece of the whole machine that would have us stay out of their domain and leave our finds in the ocean to rot away so no other soul would ever see whatever it was that we found and that they did not. The laws they write and drop on us is just an annoying part of our hobby that we have to get around or eliminate. This goes on in every hobby that someone does not agree with. Some will oppose anything to get their name in the record books or newspaper. These people are not doing the same thing we are doing. They are trying to stop us from doing what we do because they think, like you, that we are dumb, uneducated fast food workers who have no idea of what we are doing. We, as a hobby oriented bunch of uneducated fast food workers, have uncovered and recovered more than the so called professional archeologists have. If they would work WITH us instead of trying to deal us out, they would be so much the better with our help. We number in the hundreds of thousands and they number in a few thousand. If we were rewarded instead of being penalized we would be so much more willing to share what we know and find and not have to hide our efforts and finds. Most of the wrecks and finds made would never be found without our help in researching and spending our own money searching and recovering treasure, artifacts and long lost shipwrecks. If we had an incentive to call in the archeologists when we make a discovery we would. Work with us and not against us before you draw an opinion that we are the problem. We are the solution to their inept attempts to discover all of the lost history laying all over the globe. If they ask us real nice and let us share in the find we may show them where to look or call them when we find it. How's that for incentive and motive?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I see a lot of archeologist hate on treasure forums, and this one seems to be no different......... So, Haters, what say you?

Hi trout-bum-Dave.

a) There's an aweful lot of archies (the "purist" ones anyhow), who will BRISTLE at the mention of hobbyist metal detecting.

b) And if you research the rationale of anti-md'ing laws (at federal & some state parks) what do you think you find at the root of each of them ? CULTURAL HERITAGE ISSUES. Ok, then what's at the root of cultural heritage issues? Archie concerns. Thus whenever the issue comes across the desk of a govt. archie, for his input, if md'ing is on the table for consideration, what do you think his vote is going to be?

The only reason I bring out these 2 points, is that it seems you are getting the order of the "hate" reversed in the wrong direction. It's their disdain for us, that is the genesis of the discord. Not the other way around. I think the average md'r would love to become friends with archies, as they share a mutual interest in history, have tips for good sites, etc... But the problem is, when the subject of md'ing comes up, their eyes frost over with disgust.

Not all mind you. There's a few that are ok with it, as long as you stay out of their square pits at night. But there's a "purist" contingent that is seething with dislike for md'rs. Hence md'rs are merely responding to that.

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the replys Tom and White, seriously. I am just like you guys; I think the laws are stupid. I MD several times a week, and artifact hunt (Southern Utah) the other days. What I've learned over the years, while admittedly few, is that pretty much 100% of the time, there is a reason -- usually a good one -- for the laws that are made. It's usually one or two idiots that go way over the common sense aisle that ruin it for everyone else. Archie's and lawmakers don't just randomly wake up and think, "You know, I think I'll go bully some MD'ers", but in reality they are forced to make these silly laws because of idiots that sneak into a his sites or sacred sites, and destroy/steal without conscience.

Imagine spending four or more years studying and honing a skill, paying who-knows how much for tuition/books, or spending months/years on an excavation only to find that some weekend treasure hunter or MD'er sacked your site, destroying everything you've worked your ass off for, just to have something to store in a box in their garage or sell on eBay. That stuff happens. All the time.

Like you guys though, I've NEVER had a run in with an Archie or any type of enforcement officer. I believe it's because we're not total pricks, and we do it the correct way. If you're being a dishonest wanker, then ya, you'll probably have issues with the law. Either way, I don't understand the hate. We are all on the same team, but one side has worked a hell of a lot harder and sacrificed a hell of a lot more than 95% of us probably have, and IMO, they deserve our respect, not our scorn.

Alright, I'm done with that rant... Phew. Sorry for being obnoxious.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For the most part I ignore anything coming out of the arch office in Florida. They have two few people, trying to do too many things. They have too many areas, recoveries, etc that are off limits for us the taxpayers to view. When they do recover a site, they give little to no information on it, the items are not put on display for all to enjoy, and I can't imagine how many items have become the personal property of the archies themselves. People ask on forums "where is the Big Mound City?" for example, and the archies will just respond "If you need to go there, call my office, etc, etc"......BS. I just post the coordinates, and share the info. We are the people of Florida, this is OUR archeology, our coordinates, our finds. If they want to do it right, they need to share information, display the the catalog finds, quit running black ops missions. Otherwise, others will be running black ops missions. I found more than one historical fort in Florida on my own. Forts that were long lost. The coordinates you can find no where. I contacted the land private owner, and found that the usual suspect archie was already snooping the land. There is no official record that the archie office in Florida was pursuing anything of the such, so it was like totally off the books or hidden.

So now when I find a fort, or something diving, I keep my mouth shut, it stays with me. In my mind, its the States loss. I have spent a lot of time in school, with access to some of the most ridiculous archives and information available to anyone, I do my research and find very interesting things. The issue is, if I post about it, the archies would step in and order the place now "off limits", if I contact Florida, they will just plain kick me out, even though they never would have found the location if I hadn't told them in the first place.

Case in point, Ft. Lauderdale. There were three Fort Lauderdales, the last site was unknown. A well known detectors who frequents this forum was finding musket balls and relics at its unknown site for years. He finally told the government. Immediately they do "no metal detecting" for that area........forgetting that it was in fact a by way of metal detecting citizen they found out about it in the first place!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread