Near an old gold mine

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check this out. I found it on a piece of land near an old gold mine. Maybe an entrance? What are your thoughts?
Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 2.34.51 PM.png

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sure looks like someone has been digging there. You'll have to check it out, eh?

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it on the southeast side of Baltimore? Maybe someone is poking around in some tailings. Or a mine entrance. I'll hold the ball of yarn or the canary if you need lol

OP
OP
F

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm actually doing research on it, because there is an "unknown" next to "ownership" in the BLM database. At one time the mine nearby yielded good results. Last operation was 1970s.

It sure looks like someone has been digging there. You'll have to check it out, eh?

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it looks like this would be worth checking out in person. Take someone you trust with you.

Primus Palus

Apr 3, 2017
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the remains of a foundation. But hard to tell either the picture is really grainy or it's because I'm viewing the image on my phone.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks too fresh to be from very long ago. Never been to that area, but I would think "some" amount of vegetation would have started growing in those mounds at the edge of the hole. Maybe someone else did some sampling there, or maybe someone was out during hunting season and buried the remains after field dressing. :dontknow:

OP
OP
F

fetcher

Sep 24, 2011
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks too fresh to be from very long ago. Never been to that area, but I would think "some" amount of vegetation would have started growing in those mounds at the edge of the hole. Maybe someone else did some sampling there, or maybe someone was out during hunting season and buried the remains after field dressing. :dontknow:

Well said.

Twobrothers

Jun 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
If its a prospect dig it looks quite superficial. I would be suprised if it was a shaft or air vent. My guess is its a couple feet deep at most. Might even be an old camp fire ring, or a stone foundation.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a filled in water well.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions