OP
Tin Nugget

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I have a bunch saved on the computer. This particular one is of Dallas and the surrounding area. I have traced part of this map onto tracing paper then taped it to my monitor using Google earth on the screen so I can try and find the structure's shown on the maps or rather where they were in relation to today's landscape. I have actually found two home sites that are no longer there. I took the coordinates from Google where thy showed and found them using my GPS. This is very time consuming and would be much easier and more accurate if I could use the overlay feature properly. I can overlay it then you can fade the backround out and see where the older homes and structures were against a backdrop of Google earth so you can compare what is there now or where to look if the structures are no longer there. The problem is, when I do this it places the overlay map in the middle of the screen. You can stretch it to fit Google but it gets distorted. If there is some way to auto size adjust the overlay feature it would be perfect. No more tracing and a more accurate view.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I know you asked about Google Earth, but I don't have it so I can't comment on it.
I went to our local soil conservation office and got topos and aerial photos of all of the areas I hunt. They are 1:24,000 scale topo maps and aerial photos so they both match up perfectly together.
For overlaying my Civil War maps on the computer I use Topozone. After I find out where the lines lay on Topozone topo maps I then coordinate them to the topo maps I got from the soil conservation office. I then draw these off onto the aerial photos that I go as well.

I get alot of CW maps that are very close to be almost 100% accurate. These are the surveyor's maps. I have found several communities that no longer exist. You can also get a general feel for the roads as well. Of course the scale on these CW maps don't show the exact crooks and turns in the roads, but you can still get a really good feel for it.
I have a few actual engineer(attached to a unit while in here on operations) maps that will show the exact crooks and turns of the roads with the plantations, houses and such labeled. Unfortunately these maps will not match up well enough for overlaying. I have been able to find most places on these engineer maps, just by using all of the reseources I have. Some places you have to travel the area to see what they might have been seeing for it to make sense.
I am in the process of recreating a whole plat map of my county during the CW. I have part of it done, but some places still elude me. Each time I do more research I come up with a few more small bits and pieces. Hopefully it will all come together for me. I have found schools, churches, houses, stores, etc. from the time period. Not to mention the camp sites for both CSA and Union forces. It's a very rewarding project.

The point is don't limit yourself to just Google Earth. There is a wealth of resources out there that will take you further.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread