Metal Detecting
Thanks for posting this, great resource!:icon_thumright:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My go to site for researching old home sites. Goes back to 1876 in my area. All the finds in my singnature on my profile came about by using this site!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my area, there was a mapmaker in the 1800s named George Ogle. His maps were absolutely spot on. When I overlay, his farmhouse/structure placement is 1/4 inch or less. And these are 1872 maps overlaid on current satellite maps. Then it's an easy step to check my plat book for current owner info.

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I frequently look at old maps and try to figure out where the old home sites, etc are. Historicmapworks.com has a free overlay, so if you are looking at an old map on their site just tap the free overlay tab and it will overlay onto a current map of the same area. Really handy and from what I can tell pretty accurate. Good luck.

It is a decent site and certainly helpful and a good start. I do not know if the premium overlays are any different, but I noticed that when using the basic ones, they are off. One thing I look at right away are railroad tracks because they don't usually move, then I look at streets and where they are close, they certainly do not match up.

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been looking at historical maps. I found a bunch of sites that are no longer on any map. I’ve also found historical maps 10 years apart where the older map shows a town site and the newer map does not. The best map I’ve found in my area was done by the Army. It’s given me some new ideas on where to look locally.

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve been looking at historical maps. I found a bunch of sites that are no longer on any map. I’ve also found historical maps 10 years apart where the older map shows a town site and the newer map does not. The best map I’ve found in my area was done by the Army. It’s given me some new ideas on where to look locally.

Where are you finding the Army maps? Is there an online resource? Thanks.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use that all the time! Goes back to 1850s in my area but the 1850s map doesn't overlay so I do it manually by township on Google earth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread