Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By Gene Mean
  • 1 Post By KJP462
  • 1 Post By cooper1841
  • 1 Post By Ogre1190
  • 1 Post By Armor9

Thread: Historic map overlay

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2016
    Central NJ
    Garrett ACE 350 Equinox 800
    292 times
    Relic Hunting

Historic map overlay

I frequently look at old maps and try to figure out where the old home sites, etc are. Historicmapworks.com has a free overlay, so if you are looking at an old map on their site just tap the free overlay tab and it will overlay onto a current map of the same area. Really handy and from what I can tell pretty accurate. Good luck.

us
    Jun 2016
    PA
    White's MX Sport, White's MX5, Garrett Pro Pointer
    59 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks for posting this, great resource!
    devldog likes this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2012
    S.E. Michigan.
    XP Deus Minelab E-trac...Garrett AT Pro... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle Samson digging tools
    1972 times
    Metal Detecting
    My go to site for researching old home sites. Goes back to 1876 in my area. All the finds in my singnature on my profile came about by using this site!
    devldog likes this.
    1844 Canadian Half Cent 1859 Canadian Large Cent 2- 1864 U.S. 2 Cent Piece 1858 Seated Half Dime 1875 Seated Half Dollar 1865 Fatty IH Eagle I button Frisbie's Civil War Store Token

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    928 times
    Metal Detecting
    In my area, there was a mapmaker in the 1800s named George Ogle. His maps were absolutely spot on. When I overlay, his farmhouse/structure placement is 1/4 inch or less. And these are 1872 maps overlaid on current satellite maps. Then it's an easy step to check my plat book for current owner info.
    Gene Mean likes this.
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

Nov 2017
    Lorain County, Ohio
    AT Max, Makro pinpointer
    170 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Mean View Post
    I frequently look at old maps and try to figure out where the old home sites, etc are. Historicmapworks.com has a free overlay, so if you are looking at an old map on their site just tap the free overlay tab and it will overlay onto a current map of the same area. Really handy and from what I can tell pretty accurate. Good luck.
    It is a decent site and certainly helpful and a good start. I do not know if the premium overlays are any different, but I noticed that when using the basic ones, they are off. One thing I look at right away are railroad tracks because they don't usually move, then I look at streets and where they are close, they certainly do not match up.
    Gene Mean likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links