Buried Treasure Site.

Feb 8, 2008
ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-Fisher 2 box & others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am giving up on this treasure quest, so have decided to put it out here for anybody interested. I got the waybill from a friend. His family members were very hush-hush about it, but decided to join with me on a trip to see if we could find it. Four of us packed into a 4x4 and headed out. First stop was Columbus, New Mexico. Here we crossed the border heading south to a little village called Ascencion. All the place marks of this place still exist, In fact, very little seems to have changed since 1877! We ate lunch at Ascencion. To make a long story short, we were very nervous about be watched by everyone who lived there. My friends all speak spanish ( I don't ) and this is mandatory. We paid a few mordidas to cross into some areas and we were on our way. ( bring $50 in one dollar bills) The treasure site(s) however, have people living nearby and there are some very large mexican ranches that must be entered into. They may not have believed us when we told them we were going fishing at Lake Guzman. Anyway, we gave it up because of all the attention we got down there. Somehow, a local will be needed to help you get this treasure and then you better hope you don't get killed after you dig it up! Way too dangerous for me! I got plenty of safer places to look on the U.S. side.
The original waybill was in very bad shape and text written in old spanish. I had a professor at UTEP ( Univ. of Texas at El Paso) translate the text or me. The family originally deleted some words and places from the original text. I did however eventually get these places and names. They are: Ascencion - Cerros Rayadas - Dominguez - 100,000 US - gold nuggets - Laguna Guzman - Ojo Caliente - Ilano de San Blas - Corralitos and Bato Pilas. You will need a good map of Mexico, hopefully an old 1800's to go along with a newer one. You will need a good metal detector as well.

The text reads approx. like this:

Go to the striped hills of Cerro Rayadas.
From there you will see some rocks like a jackal of rock and from there you must measure 40 varas going to where the sun comes out to where you see a large bola rock.
From there ??? three tools, three saddles and four dead bodies who were going to ??? with this money ?? bato Picas ??
From there you will travel/walk? going to the edge of el paso del norte then to the left you will see the edge of the corralitos mountains of rock.
Then to the right there are 2 (two) well known " palos una mora y un acibuchi" together and from there travel downward you will find an " ojito "
of water near a mesquite which is covered with rocks and near a " remiendo" de fules y from there you must walk to the right until you go up to see the Guzman Lake where you go down the other side of the rise you will encounter a horse " bones " fragments? which go to the right when you encounter some grains of gold of the size of "laba"? beans? where this horse died which goes to the right is a very efficient "cena" for the pursuit
of us which the people of Ojo Caliente came across the Ilano of San Blas in which we had left the cattle which we were taking to New Mexico having over taken the people who followed us on the night of the day of
May 22 in 1877 (8)? having killed one of our own companions and I ??? wounded in the torso from shots that passed through me from rib to rib. this was done on the 23rd day of May this with me losing my breath.

The Jackel is still being used today and has a corral built on top of it. It is the original jackel described in the story.
The Bolo - Red ball mountain is easily seen in the distance.
The pillars you enter into today is the same spot as 1877! This means
ranch entrance (Posts).
They men apparently robbed some money and cattle and were planning on running them up unto New Mexico to sell across the border.
They had a posse or a gang chasing after them. Some men were killed and the person telling this story was shot costa to costa ( from rib to rib ).
He hastily buried the gold in 3 places and killed a horse on top of one of the buriel places. ( neat trick to disguise the disturbed ground)!!
The robber who was shot made it to someone who wrote this down and gave the letter to this family I got it from.
old map story 001.jpg
old map story 006.jpg
old map story 007.jpg

Last edited:

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds strange to me? Why would the person who received the note not go looking for the gold over 100 years ago?

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing! An intriguing challenge.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
wow, dangerous indeed
as you said, need a local guide and he should be older and from one of the big ranches
you might find something, but you will leave with nothing
Mexico was always difficult for gringos, but now unbelievable in remote rural areas

Bill

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m confused, you went all the way there and didn’t metal detect the place? Why would the locals kill you if you found a treasure? The other 3 guys were fluent in Spanish and yet were not willing to ask for permission?

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who is Glenn Carson? How did you come to the conclusion that you can not get a treasure out of Mexico? By regurgitating fake news you spread false information. This site has a lot of things going for it, but information about Mexico is not one of them.

Let me summarize Tnet with regards to Mexico: Mexico BAD!!! White man gets robbed. Mexico is lawless!!!!

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, that is a very interesting read, thank you, but as you mentioned, if found it would not likely make it back
this this side.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Who is Glenn Carson? How did you come to the conclusion that you can not get a treasure out of Mexico? By regurgitating fake news you spread false information. This site has a lot of things going for it, but information about Mexico is not one of them.

Let me summarize Tnet with regards to Mexico: Mexico BAD!!! White man gets robbed. Mexico is lawless!!!!

Glenn Carson; try google, then the search function for this site (your ignorance is showing)

Have you been to rural Mexico? when? which areas? of course you speak Spanish
I presume you are driving AND that you and your car have been searched multiple times by the verdes and by the Judicales
Have you been robbed in Mexico? how did it come out?

This site has people with family down there, listen with a peck of salt - they are not gringos (perhaps, 1 generation ?).
There are also some old duffers posting who have been there.

Please identify the fake information you refer to.

edit: I did identify some regurgitation, . . . .

Last edited:

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill. I live in rural Mexico for 8 years. About 100 miles south of the Az border. Speak Spanish daily. Drive on dirt roads regularly. The cops do search me. I understand the cultural difference between Mexicans and Americans, which make a difference when communicating. I feel as though I have a unique perspective on the “border”. I am fully involved with the gambusinos and the gold market. Fortunately I haven’t been robbed.

I searched google for Glenn Carson.....the football player????

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search H. Glenn Carson and you will see his coinshooting for sale on AbeBooks.com.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, meant to type "coinshooting books for sale."

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Bill. I live in rural Mexico for 8 years. About 100 miles south of the Az border. Speak Spanish daily. Drive on dirt roads regularly. The cops do search me. I understand the cultural difference between Mexicans and Americans, which make a difference when communicating. I feel as though I have a unique perspective on the “border”. I am fully involved with the gambusinos and the gold market. Fortunately I haven’t been robbed.
. . . . .

I do not doubt that your perspective is unique, and we can both agree that you are not a gringo with a detector going to find treasure in Mexico.
What you, or I for that matter, describe about Mexico has little relation to that which a gringo can experience w/o having a feel for what is going on.
I very much like Mexico, but I don't go to bars or resorts; which just means I recommend prudence 'till one knows how to fly.

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill. Thanks for understanding my situation. It only took me about 8 years of buying beer for the gambusinos to become THEIR “gringo tesorero”. I agree with you that prudence is the productive side of fear. The OP didn’t have the patience to exploit this. I still feel that the question is valid, why didn’t he ask for permission? Why do the other posters say that the treasure wouldn’t make it across the border? They have expressed no basis for this opinion. This happens in a surprising number of Mexico threads. It needs to be addressed as it is inaccurate. I’ve already spoken to my pistoleros and we will head to Chihuahua to see what we can find. It won’t be until September or later when this heat settles down. Thanks again for listening and understanding. I like to explain a major cultural difference of Americans and Mexicans by using this simple analogy; “Americans have the best watches, but the Mexicans have all the time”.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m confused, you went all the way there and didn’t metal detect the place? Why would the locals kill you if you found a treasure? The other 3 guys were fluent in Spanish and yet were not willing to ask for permission?
Because they want it. Mexico is not safe to treasure hunting or take vacations, trust me. The writer, Glenn Carson is correct.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's kinda odd, XtreasuerX hasn't reported back from his adventure into Mexico...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread