Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My imagination runs wild........
The east west 'dots' could be the remaining concrete pads to the two lighthouses that were (still are?) there.
The vertical 'dots' could be the remains of the core holes that were dug on the atoll by scientists.
There is no way to 'just go there and check it out' unless you have a government permit.
I'm not familiar with any slave traffic at that site though it would be interesting to know if it did occur there.
Coffee ?
Don.....

OP
OP
KANACKI

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Makaydon

Your suggestions are most likely as answer to the mystery.

There is the possibility that there is a grave of murdered sea captain on the Atoll? Under the human remains is sea chest full of money from the proceeds of Slavery. Around 1827 the crew had mutinied murdered their captain and drifted into piracy. The cache was used as a "bank" Since the atoll was water less and inhabitable. However the mutineers now pirates started attacking and robbing other slavers off the African coast and intercepting British east Indiamen returning from India. However their luck run out as they was captured and hung in Spain around 1829. In 1830 a Danish sailor who claimed these events happened on a low island in the Atlantic. The British admiralty assumed it was one of the islands of the savages. Yet nothing was found. The sailor was just an ordinary sailor and never knew the exact name of the island.

Coffee?

Kanacki

Jack_M

May 12, 2020
Pacific
Detector(s) used
The Best Ones
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting in deed. Can you us if the holes line up with compas bearings? If only a few degrees off. Could be ancient. Also Dit. Very interesting concept. I guess the location of the atoll and its placement with ww2 could shed some answers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread