Deus or ORX For General Coin/Jewelry Hunting?

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the title says, which is better for general coin /jewelry hunting in Parks, Ballfields, Playgrounds, School yards, etc., Deus or ORX? I know that the main problem with either is probably all the aluminum trash found today in those kinds of sites, and that most hunters probably wouldn't choose either one for that activity. Don't really want to hear about other, "better", units for hunting those sites, just which would be best between these two? Anxious to hear the opinions, and how you came to that conclusion...

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not having a lot of time on either machine (more on the ORX) I’m not in the best position to answer your question, but since nobody else has replied I will give my thoughts.

For coin/jewelry hunting in the types of locations you’ve mentioned, I think the Deus is the better choice. It’s not that the ORX won’t find those targets - it will - but the Deus has so many user adjustments that (set up properly) it makes it easier for the user to discern a good target from a non-desirable target (such as aluminum trash).

IMO the ORX is hampered (hunting modern trash) because of its limited adjustments.

1. Tones. 3 tones only.
2. No ability to set tone breaks
3. Normalized VDI scale (set to 18 kHZ I believe) which lumps aluminum trash in the same tone as coins. (No matter the frequency chosen)

The Deus offers the user the ability to adjust those (and much more).

If you’re a dig it all type of hunter, or if you pay really close attention to VDI numbers, the ORX does quite well in modern trash areas (and it is fantastic in iron trash).

I own both (ORX and Deus) and would pick the Deus to hunt modern high trash areas, but if I only owned the ORX I wouldn’t hesitate to use it in a park/ball field, etc.. I’d just make sure that I paid close attention to the VDI numbers since digging a lot of holes (in such areas) isn’t typically desired.

If the park (etc..) isn’t really trashy (modern aluminum trash) I think the ORX would perform on par with the Deus (or very, very close).

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either one. Whether your planning on only digging everything with a numerical ID that locks on and doesn't bounce around using the stock programs with either units should perform the same.

With the dues though you could make one of 2 programs.

One that notches out common pull tabs, square tabs and aluminum screw caps or one that accepts conductivity slightly below nickel all the way up to zinc pennies.

So keeping it simple and not getting technical with just digging targets that lock on without bouncing around using stock programs, I would go with the ORX due to the larger display.

RussM

Oct 2, 2019
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the ORX for about three months before buying the Deus. In those three months I found numerous coins, including my oldest so far a KGII, and several large cents.

In the past ten months the Deus has helped me find numerous coins as well, including many old silvers.

Which would I grab if I knew I had a reasonably clean site with good, old potential? Probably the ORX. Not because I think it works better, but because it works very well, is simpler, and more user friendly on the fly... leaving me detecting more, and tweaking less.

Where there are lots of targets like a ball field or playground I might grab either. Sometimes I want to try to learn the Deus more, so I grab it, but if I just want to go out and have fun, I'll leave the Deus behind and grab the ORX.

They both grab coins large and small, but the Deus seems to pull in more trash targets for some reason. Probably either my not knowing it well enough, or my seemingly endless need to tweak something if given the opportunity... or both.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the ORX for about three months before buying the Deus. In those three months I found numerous coins, including my oldest so far a KGII, and several large cents.

In the past ten months the Deus has helped me find numerous coins as well, including many old silvers.

Which would I grab if I knew I had a reasonably clean site with good, old potential? Probably the ORX. Not because I think it works better, but because it works very well, is simpler, and more user friendly on the fly... leaving me detecting more, and tweaking less.

Where there are lots of targets like a ball field or playground I might grab either. Sometimes I want to try to learn the Deus more, so I grab it, but if I just want to go out and have fun, I'll leave the Deus behind and grab the ORX.

They both grab coins large and small, but the Deus seems to pull in more trash targets for some reason. Probably either my not knowing it well enough, or my seemingly endless need to tweak something if given the opportunity... or both.
Good post here!

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought an XP ORX today online with a 9.5 coil. I am a west coaster, so nugget hunting is part of the game. For me the coils are possibly the biggest sales point. I found the deus 1 can run the 9.5 coil, but it doesn't say at what frequency. The specs for the detector show 27.7 to be the max. I looked at the specs for the coil and they say, The Main Frequencies for this coil are: 13 to 15.7kHz, 26 to 31kHz, 68 to 81kHz. So it seems the Deus 1 can run it at 27.7 and lower.
The ORX can run several of the lower freq. coils. So for an all rounder I see the ORX is better for me. I have many coin machines but also RV travel. I want one VLF and one PI to take with me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HighPlainsHunter

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an XP ORX today online with a 9.5 coil. I am a west coaster, so nugget hunting is part of the game. For me the coils are possibly the biggest sales point. I found the deus 1 can run the 9.5 coil, but it doesn't say at what frequency. The specs for the detector show 27.7 to be the max. I looked at the specs for the coil and they say, The Main Frequencies for this coil are: 13 to 15.7kHz, 26 to 31kHz, 68 to 81kHz. So it seems the Deus 1 can run it at 27.7 and lower.
The ORX can run several of the lower freq. coils. So for an all rounder I see the ORX is better for me. I have many coin machines but also RV travel. I want one VLF and one PI to take with me.
The Deus can run any of the frequencies that the coil has.

The ORX will run the HF and the X-35 coils only. Will not run the original LF coils.

Hope this helps...

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know how to use the adjustments to your benefit, the Deus has a big advantage. I'm sure both dogs will hunt.

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One advantage in aluminum is the all tones mode. It doesn't take much practice to hear the difference between aluminum and softer, better targets. To help identify nickels, you can set a tone break so that the nickel is a lower tone than most of the various pull tabs. You can notch out whatever you want. If you have a small gold ring, you can set a tone break at it. You can use 5 tones and arrange all the set points and the tone frequency on each one. You can't do that on an ORX. The Deus also gives you a boost in signal at very low frequency which the ORX doesn't have. I pretty sure of one thing though, if you learn the ORX you will be okay. The way they both talk to you is the key.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread