Shake_n_Bake

Greenie
Jan 2, 2018
Republic of Texas ;-)
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, thanks for letting me join the forum. Been lurking off and on over the last year and a half. Always enjoy reading the posts here even though I'm quite unexperienced at metal detecting.

After doing a bit of research I bought an Xterra 705 Gold about 18 months ago. First time I took it out was at a beach in Galveston TX shortly after I bought it. Being a noob I wasn't sure what to expect, I enjoyed it but I had issues, I thought anyway. The metal detector behaved odd from my (uneducated) perspective. I've only used it a few times since and it still behaves in a way that I'm just not sure about. So after 18 months of fumbling through and watching videos, I thought I'd post here since you all know what you're doing.

With my detector, at startup, the display shows the blank numeric indicator with the depth arrows in motion. That's normal. Once my detector hits, the numeric metal indicator and depth arrows lock in. All seems to work as expected. But then after moving on, the display stays locked in and doesn't change unless I come across another target. For example I could be walking around for 10 minutes with a -2 and depth arrow frozen on the screen. The numbers won't change an the arrows won't move until I come across another target - or - I toggle the pinpoint button. Based on watching videos and just gut feeling, It seems like the display should revert back to the blank with depth arrows in motion, otherwise it just seems like it's frozen. I regularly check that it's still detecting because of the frozen screen.

Can any xterra users tell me if this is normal?

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum Shake n Bake. What you are describing your XTerra doing is correct or should I say normal. The TID number of the last target detected should stay on your screen until the detector detects another target. Then it will change to the TID # of that newly detected target. Now, when your detectors coil passes over targets that are "rejected" or notched out by whatever discrimination pattern you are using, the display will not show TID numbers but rather two dashes. This may be what you mean by "blank" screen. Its not blank, it just doesn't show any numbers. This is because your machine has been told to ignore whatever target is under the coil. It doesn't sound like anything is wrong with your machine at all. Read page 20 or the section on target ID of your owners manual. It should explain this. Also, if you have never read it there is a really good Ebook available for the Xterra by Randy Horton that I would recommend. Its available for free download and can be found on Minelabs website. On their website, go to the "Go Minelabbing" tab and then to "Treasure Talk". Once there, look for the articles written by Randy Horton on the XTerra and you will find his Ebook available for free download. I hope this helps. Good luck and keep using that 705!

T.R.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shake_n_Bake

Greenie
Jan 2, 2018
Republic of Texas ;-)
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the information. I appreciate it greatly. Gives me some peace of mind. I was really worried that my $500 investment was on the fritz from the get go. I will definitely download the book you recommended also, looking forward to reading it, and I'll likely re-read the manual since I clearly missed some things. And more good news after your feedback, I just got my Garrett pinpointer (the carrot?) delivered today.

Thanks again

OP
OP
S

Shake_n_Bake

Greenie
Jan 2, 2018
Republic of Texas ;-)
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
read that E Book over and over it took me about 2 1/2 years to get a true understanding as to what the XTerra 705 was telling me and there is a lot to learn about it but once the light bulb turns on you will love it one suggestion I have is set it to the two or four tone settings and get it off of the 99 tones because that 99 tones will drive you nuts

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
read that E Book over and over it took me about 2 1/2 years to get a true understanding as to what the XTerra 705 was telling me and there is a lot to learn about it but once the light bulb turns on you will love it one suggestion I have is set it to the two or four tone settings and get it off of the 99 tones because that 99 tones will drive you nuts

oldkoot is correct, with the X-Terra, leave the 99 tones. I have not used my X "70", in a long time, in fact I removed the battery's, was going to put it up for sale, but I'm thinking not, it IS a good machine, and that 6" 3Khz coil, is great. Was not to crazy about the "stock" coil, but I do have the 6 & 10" 3Khz, and two 18Khz coils, a 6" & larger. I've been using the AT Pro & Minelab Safari, and will be looking at the Minelab EQ 600 & or the 800. Nonetheless, You do have a very good detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions