Low or High Freq. coil advice.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And a Great good morning. Have a question fella's. I have a X-Terra 70 that I've not used in a long time. I came upon a site out in the woods that has had a lot of activity some time ago, and I've hunted it with both the AT Pro and Minelab Safari, both with Stock coils and smaller coils. The AT is what, 15Khz., and the Safari is FBS. Part of this site has a lot of iron etc. in it, and I was thinking that I might want to re-load the 70 with AA's, and try that site again with the 6" 3Khz. coil, or the 6" 18Khz. coil, in the "coin" mode to perhaps pick thru the iron trash etc. Which of the two might do better? I really do not know. I've read that on some machines, you fella's go with the high freq., while the low, 3Khz., will do better with copper, silver & brass. Any advice?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3kHz without question. Good Luck! :skullflag:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd hit the place with both coils. The 3Khz will get you more depth, but, the 18khz might work better in the iron.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I disagree on the higher kHz working "better" in iron. Generally it doesn't. In most soils higher kHz is more sensitive to iron and requires more filtering/power. :skullflag:

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All righty then, I'm going with the 6" 3Khz coil in the heaver iron area, just to see if there IS anything I can pick out, it's worth a try. There are miles of these woods that has had use, and I've wandered around with two other machines, and there have been a couple of horseshoes, nails etc, and those "pesky" pieces of rusty cans. I do also have a 10" 3Khz coil I might try out there in the surrounding area, I'm not so much a relic hunter as I am looking (or hoping for) copper, SILVER and brass.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with Mr Soloman on this one

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Although the HF coil should hit the brass better as brass is a non ferrous

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply's fella's. Gave it a shot with the small 6" 3Khz. Right off the bat found a small metal four hole button, it had patented Dec 9 1924 on the back, and a shotgun shell, Winchester "Blue Rival" 10 Ga, of which were made from 1896 till 1906. Nothing more. Of course I then expanded my search again up and down the hill's, my mind telling me I'm 30, and my body telling me later, No your not. I'll keep the X-Terra, it's still a good machine, I have 6 detectors, three are retired, and I pretty much only use two others, and of course the "70". Never sold one, detectors to me are like guns and kids, even if you no longer have any use for them, ya just kind of hate the thought of selling one. I'll add that at that site before, I did somehow find 2 war nickel's in one hole, and a Silver Ring out there? That's the day I should of bought a lottery ticket, better odds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread