Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is another treasure topic little known and understood.

This region had the most continuous outbreak of piracy not just over a few decades but a few centuries. The French, Spanish, Dutch, Chinese, Portuguese, British all at one time fell victims to the Sulu Pirates. Many nations went on punitive expeditions Such as the British in 1872.

philippines-hms-nassau-attacking-pirates-sulu-antique-print-1872-145162-p.jpg

to destroy them only for them to regroup with a new leader and continue as business as usual. Britain sign at least 4 peace treaties with then with no avail.

Iranum_pirate.png

Through inter clan war between themselves the Sultan of Sulu and outside interference from European powers. There is perhaps nowhere in the Philippines that would be a hot bed of lost treasure stories relating to piracy. It is in fact the Philippines answer to pirates of Caribbean.

One such legend of hidden treasure comes from the island off Jolo island.

Around 1900 There was a pirate who went by the name of Jikrir who became the scourge of sea around the Sulu Sea.

6a00d8341f9d6353ef0120a582c805970b-800wi_800x600.jpg

Jikrir was ruthless pirate using hit and run tactics on shipping in the Sulu sea operating of small prowls ambush small vessels and killing with out mercy crews of vessels. The more he attacked the more he got bolder vessels and the Spanish tried several times to hunt him down but failed. After when the Americans obtained the Philippines they began to experience the Kris attacks from this old seasoned pirate, who it was said had over several years amassed a sizable fortune and fluctuating amount of followers. At one time he had several hundred followers but as the century close he began to lose influence over the local population. However he was still a force to be reckoned with so much so The American Government in 1909 went after him and tracked him down.

The Following newspaper in 1909 tells of his demise in a cave in Extinct volcanic crater.

Clarence and Richmond Examiner  Thursday 25 November 1909, page 3.jpg

With the slaying of J¡kiri and his band,Piracy in the Sula Sea is, it is hoped, crushed out for ever. Jikiri. who had sworn The terrible oath to kill l00 people before he "passed in his checks," was located. with seven of his gang and his wife, on the island of Patina, having taken possession of a fortified cave in the crater of an extinct volcano. A gunboat and troops were sent to capture them. After ineffectually shelling the cave for two days and nights, the troops prepared to rush the defenders. Jikiri the latter took the initiative, and charged the troops. With their terrible barons and krises they hacked Jikrir and left amongst the soldiers. Lieutenant Wilson was almost decapitated by Jikiri himself, who paid the penalty by having the top of his head blown off with a load of buckshot. Eventually all the outlaws were killed, But the troops lost three dead and had nineteen Wounded. If the full list of .Jikrir's victims were known, it is believed that his awful oath would have been proved verified.

It has been said that the shell fire had sealed a small entrance to another cave from the shellfire from the gunboat that leads to Jikrir's hidden hoard of treasure. To this day old folk still believe treasure lie in buried cave from the time of Jikrir's last battle.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a picture of the Crater. In the area of shadow there are four inter connecting caves. This is the location where Jikiri had his last stand with his followers.

Crow

crater caves bandit hide out 1909 s.jpg

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
These Crow tales keep us thinking…..

Hello Doc-d, Its my pleasure. The concept of lost treasure transcends many cultures and countries. There perhaps hundreds of thousands of treasure stories through out the world. There is a tendency for many people to narrow their vision down and obsess about one treasure legend. However what these legends are is mind candy as each one researched adds a bit knowledge of the internal workings of treasure legends on how they evolve.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ironically these treasure legends are being lost to a nation obsessed with treasure Legends.

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
El Crow, our days are odd for sure, and it is ironic that in our age where many seek treasure legends, that many legends are being lost……
Life is more than the internet……..while I am sure all of us would agree there is good from the internet, there is also much more one needs to do
to know and understand the legends………and if we fail to talk to the elders who know, they will be lost…….

To look at the ancient ruins and remains of ancient civilizations, we can only guess for most all……..and yet there to me, seems little question that there is so much we do not understand even with our science today. In our ignorance we blindly assume all before us did not know, did not understand and clearly it is we who do not understand, we who are blind in so many things….

So am I too assume our black feathered friend has many tales yet to squawk out for us……..

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello doc-d

Let it be known this battered half a tail feather missing old Crow will continue squawk out with pleasure these old treasure yarns until one government or another loses its patience and chokes this cawing of Mine.

I know exactly why they will never come for me....or any of the Trio. And its with absolute pleasure that out there somewhere some place legislators will be reading this working themselves up into massive self righteous based rage and will be saying that bast...

The pleasure is purely will be all mine my friends.

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread