please advice a new member here

paddyjason

Jun 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi treassurehunters,

i am always geting toldby old people here in mindanao about old japanese camps in the mounteins close to rivers and waterfalls i have visited many of these sites but i am not experiend enough to interpret or even to know if this is shaped by nature or if it is man made i ll post a picture or a few and i would like to get your advise if this is positive or just nature.

IMG_20160526_120245resized.jpg

IMG_20160316_113933resized.jpg

thanks for your help in advance

Attachments

• _DSC0604resized.jpg
    _DSC0604resized.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 184

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... to get your advise if this is positive or just nature.....

It's "just nature". And do you guys think that "just because the Japanese" sat down some place, that there's necessarily "treasure" anyhow ? :dontknow:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the party. It looks completely nature made. But if the Japanese were there check everywhere because they were known for hiding military and other things in cracks and crevices. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

OP
OP
P

paddyjason

Jun 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys for the replies but this was just a little 3 pics of what we have found in this 2 sites i have plenty more pictures and my scanner is also very helpfull i m just waiting to escavate one treassure to be able to buy a 3d scanner and then i ll go from there i have more than 20 sites and from scanning with my metal detector and a detector of a frien we are positive at 7 sites for sure and 3 more ot really sure cause we use cheap equipment ... if there is anyone who can help or is willing to help then i ll send more detailed pictures and video 's to make it more sure/clear and to see if it is worth investigating or wasting money

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... i m just waiting to escavate one treassure to be able to buy a 3d scanner and then i ll go from there i have more than 20 sites and from scanning with my metal detector and a detector of a frien we are positive at 7 sites for sure a...

Let me guess: You saw "treasure symbols" at those sites as well ? Well let us know when you find that first/one treasure, and can afford the 3d scanner !

Ya know my business partner is Japanese. His grandfather immigrated to CA in the 1920s from Japan. And I know where he takes his lunch, where his brothers "rest", etc.... All I need to do, is go there to those spots and look for treasure, symbols, right ?

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet. I hate to say that is just nature because it sure looks like it was man made. Hope you are successful on your hunts...

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
paddyjason please post some more pictures. I am interested.

joepret

Aug 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guy's I'm newbie in this forum.. Can someone what this mark means. After we dig 2m under a very big old tree and found flat stone with marking.. Tq ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467817452.131298.jpg

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom, don't see why you are being so sarcastic and condescending.

Mindanao is well known for a history on unconventional warfare continuing on to this day, and since the majority of the island is so inaccessible & hazardous, it stands to reason that there are many camps and hiding spots left pristine, with the exception of nature taking over.

I read some great books about American guerrilla activity there during WW2, and the unprecedented escape of a dozen US POW's from the Davao penal colony [Ed Dyess, whom Dyess AFB TX is named after, was one of the escapees]. Would be great to detect around there, though likely that area is relatively built up compared to the majority of the island. They spent 3 months on the run in Mindanao. They finally reached the north where the nexus of US guerrilla activity was and most were evacuated by sub [Ed unfortunately lost his life a short time later in a P-38 training accident in CA, gearing up for a return to battle]

I for sure would be checking into things if I resided there, a dangerous, unforgiving yet beautiful land. I would be interested to see any pics you have.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom, don't see why you are being so sarcastic and condescending.....

Let me see if I understand this correctly: To be skeptical of treasure's existence, is to be "sarcastic and condescending". Right ?

What if the issue for question was: The existence of leprichans. And someone expressed doubt by giving alternative explanations for supposed "signs of the existence of leprichans". Would that person therefore be: "sarcastic and condescending" ?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your 2 replies were sarcastic and condescending, my opinion has not changed and others including yourself may think differently.

It may be true that the odds of finding a treasure hoard in the wilds of Mindanao are very slim ,,, The odds of any of us finding a treasure hoard anywhere are slim.
The island has a well documented history of guerrilla and military actions stretching back decades and centuries, so I don't see why you feel compelled to poopoo the notion of finding something there, slim though the odds may be.
Doesn't have to be a chest of gold bullion, finding a WW2 firearm or compass would be pretty cool, and that is well within the bounds of possibility.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.....The island has a well documented history of guerrilla and military actions stretching back decades and centuries, .....

The entire continent of Europe has well documented history of wars going back 100's or thousands of years.

This fact alone does not mean: "Ergo: A treasure legend is sure to exist". And a bit of critical skepticism actually INCREASES one's chances of finding actual treasures to being better than "slim". So that you/me/we are not just chasing around camp-fire stories gone awry.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The entire continent of Europe has well documented history of wars going back 100's or thousands of years.

And a guy in the Philippines might not know or care 1 bit about that

This fact alone does not mean: "Ergo: A treasure legend is sure to exist". And a bit of critical skepticism actually INCREASES one's chances of finding actual treasures to being better than "slim". So that you/me/we are not just chasing around camp-fire stories gone awry.

I'm not getting out of this thread what you seem to be - I've even reread the OP, no where do I see him say or even imply that he is chasing some legendary treasure [like the nut cases looking for the holy grail on oak island].
He talks about "old Japanese camps" and they obviously exist, insofar as it would take alot of research, luck and persistence to find them through the decades of tropical growth.
He has the spirit of discovery and adventure - I personally think that should be encouraged, not mocked.

I'm hoping to find my first gold coin some day, I am positive they are out there. Would you say "Naww, don't bother, waste of time ! You'll sprout a 3rd eye before you ever find a gold coin !" ?
A large portion of this hobby, for me at least, is the thrill of the chase. We know in advance that are odds of finding something truly valuable or rare are very slim, but that doesn't stop us from trying and having hope. By all means, be realistic, but let the man have his hopes like anyone else - And I for one would like to see pics of the interior or Mindanao if for no other reason that it is something we will never see ourselves.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
And a guy in the Philippines might not know or care 1 bit about that.....

Huh ? You gave the warfare as evidence to the possibility of this treasure. So I pointed out that : Since we both know that wars doesn't necessarily mean "treasure" in all those other places, then why does one think that it necessarily means "treasure" in the Philippines ?

.... no where do I see him say or even imply that he is chasing some legendary treasure [like the nut cases looking for the holy grail on oak island]......

Huh ? Those persons looking for the holy grail and Oak Island most definitely consider their legend "iron-clad". And they, like the Yamashita hunters, have passed down maps, see funny symbols on rocks, etc... So why is one a "silly superstition" and the other "iron-clad" ?

....He talks about "old Japanese camps" and they obviously exist....

No one is doubting that "Japanese camps existed". Of course they did. What we are doubting is the seeming believed necessity that : "Ergo, a treasure should exist there".
.... I'm hoping to find my first gold coin some day, I am positive they are out there. Would you say "Naww, don't bother, waste of time ! You'll sprout a 3rd eye before you ever find a gold coin !" ?....

But you can only find that "gold coin" where gold coins are likely to exist. And to hone down your odds of finding that place, you need to do analytical critical skeptical thinking. Such that you hunt the likely stories of where they might be.

For example: If I told you that I'm going to look for a gold coin in my cat litter box, wouldn't you suggest to me that this would be a waste of time ? Of course you would . Even if I said I saw funny symbols nearby, got an old map, and that the Japanese camped by the litter box, you would say that all those "clues" do not mean: "There is gold coins in my cat's litter box".

..... but that doesn't stop us from trying and having hope. By all means, be realistic, but let the man have his hopes like anyone else - .....

Sure. Let us all do and chase whatever we want. But if that person "chasing" comes on asking for advice of probabilities of a treasure (Ie.: they are ASKING for input), then ..... they can't be upset when someone gives their input of "that's not a likely-to-exist treasure". Or "that clue is probably random squiggles or meaningless graffiti " , etc..

And then , sure: They're welcome to dis-regard the skepticism and balanced comment if they want.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are taking this into the realm of the ludicrous.

No one is asking about finding rumored magik moon rocks buried under Hitlers secret Aryan fireplace, located just west of Shangri-La and guarded by blood thirsty, immortal Orks.
I live in an area that has been populated since the late 1700's so I could conceivably find a gold coin anywhere.
He lives on an island that was trampled back and forth by Japanese soldiers, so he could conceivably find something related to that era anywhere as well - And you have no basis other than speculative opinion telling us that we can't.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
X-ray, interesting that you agree that some "legends" are simply fanciful over-blown imaginations. Eg.: shangri-la, secret UFO buried treasures of the knight's templars, etc.... So we both agree that "not all treasure lore" is legit. Some is just fanciful over-blown telephone game campfire stories gone awry. Right ?

Then think about it: All that you are concluding about the Philippine legends, can equally be said by those proponents of the other legends. Eg.: they can equally say to you, that when you go to roll your eyes at their legends, they can also say: ".... And you have no basis other than speculative opinion telling us that we can't find something [treasure] related to that era"

Because the human mind (let's be honest) wants SO HARD to believe in treasure stories (lest we be "left out"), that we subconsciously tend to dismiss explanations that would 'diss our treasure. And tend to "latch on" to any point that would bolster our legend. And no matter how much of the "story" part is admittedly true (eg.: "battles occurred here", or "the Japanese camped here", etc...), really doesn't matter. All those things can be "true parts of the story". But if no one buried a treasure, then all those other "true" facts don't matter.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see your point, problem is I didn't hear anything about Philippine legends, though doubtless they exist.

OP asked about Japanese WW2 jungle camps. These existed IN FACT and are not legends. Japanese prowled up and down the island for years, FACT. Like all jungle fighters, they tended to camp at night FACT.
Some were likely on the fly overnight camps and not even worthy of the name. Some were semi permanent and used on a regular basis, simple logistics would suggest that the closer they were to a main camp/base/strategic location [generally on coasts such as Davao or crossroads/railroad tracks], the more elaborate they may be. In addition, there were many many ambush sites that could yield interesting/historical artifacts.

Considering the infamous inhospitable jungle terrain and well known violent muslim insurgency the area is still plagued with, it would take some brave souls, a major effort and alot of luck to uncover any but entirely within the realm of possibility.

So I see what you are driving at and generally agree, just don't see any relevance pertaining to this particular topic - Though I get the feeling that won't stop you from trying to bend my mind to your logic.

I just so happen to have a strong interest in that area and have researched it extensively over the years.
Here, if interested to give you an idea of some of the dynamics involved, is a nice writeup of just one facet of the WW2 years on the island, the US led resistance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Fertig

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... problem is I didn't hear anything about Philippine legends,.....

Huh ? What is this entire section of T'net meant to address then ? The " yamashita treasure ". Is it not ? :dontknow:

.....OP asked about Japanese WW2 jungle camps. These existed IN FACT and are not legends. Japanese prowled up and down the island for years, FACT. Like all jungle fighters, they tended to camp at night FACT.
Some were likely on the fly overnight camps and not even worthy of the name. Some were semi permanent and used on a regular basis, simple logistics would suggest that the closer they were to a main camp/base/strategic location [generally on coasts such as Davao or crossroads/railroad tracks], the more elaborate they may be. In addition, there were many many ambush sites that could yield interesting/historical artifacts.....

Ok, sure. "ambush artifacts". But a "yamashita treasure" ? So too could "ambush artifacts" exist at ANY skirmish war site around the world . But that's not the focus of this T'net site/section.

....Considering the infamous inhospitable jungle terrain and well known violent muslim insurgency the area is still plagued with.....

"violent muslim insurgency" in the Philippines ? During WWII (or the present) ? I'm totally lost. And suppose for a moment the "muslims are up to no good there", what (pray-tell) does that have to do with "yamashita treasure" ? You've totally lost me :(

And as for "inhospitable jungle terrain". Ok , I'll bite: how does that bode for "certain treasure" ? This seems to go along with the old "camp-fire" notion that the more extreme a location is (caves on sheer cliffs, etc...) then = "the more certain a treasure is" . Right ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Ok, I have gone over your wiki link, from beginning to end, and fail to see any connection to "treasure" or "yamashita" or "gold coins". Again, you have me totally confused.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread