Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: How deep?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2018
    35 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Gold Bar How deep?

Just wondering how deep someone should expect a smaller sized Yamashita treasure to be buried. For example just say a medium sized treasure chest around 1 ft x 2 ft containing gold bars and some gemstones. Would the Japanese have taken the time to bury an item of that size any deeper than 25 ft? Any information gained either by rumors or personal experience is appreciated. Just curious how much time and investment would be involved in recovering something of that size

Example from google images:
    Attachment 1536689

btw, can anyone translate the text on this chest? this came from a Philippines news article. it was already empty when they found it in a cave so im curious about what the writing says
    Last edited by enochsea7; Jan 14, 2018 at 06:08 AM.
    T.C. likes this.

us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    712 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    "Live ordnance- Handle with care"?
    Just a guess.
    HH
    dts
    bayhawk2 and enochsea7 like this.

Jan 2018
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dts52 View Post
    "Live ordnance- Handle with care"?
    Just a guess.
    HH
    dts
    thats a possibility. yea the news article said some treasure hunters had been illegally excavating the cave but no one knew if they had actually recovered anything. i guess an empty ordinance box could have been used to stash away treasures. personally i would have skeeted with the bars and came back for the box also . thanks for the insight
    Last edited by enochsea7; Jan 14, 2018 at 05:13 PM.

Jan 2018
    35 times
    Here are some signs from a dig. These were found at 13 ft. Any educated guesses about how close the target is based on these markers? With the signs growing more obvious like this, does it mean the target is well within reach?

A perfect heart and diamond
    Attachment 1537066

angles and curves too perfect to be naturally occuring
    Attachment 1537069
    Attachment 1537141

red coloring agent on the front of the most perfect markers, but not applied to the back sides. seemingly left as an extra clue that the stones are in fact man-made
    Attachment 1537071
    Attachment 1537074

can anyone translate this script?
    Attachment 1537090

same script in negative
    Attachment 1537093

any input, agreeing or opposing opinions, educated or uneducated guesses, outside of the box perspectives are greatly appreciated

POLL:
    https://vote.pollcode.com/62444841
    Last edited by enochsea7; Jan 14, 2018 at 10:25 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    10721 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    I would expect a treasure chest to be no more than 10 foot deep. I have found two coin caches in my lifetime and saw a buddy dig a third. None were more than a foot and a half deep.

Jan 2018
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    I would expect a treasure chest to be no more than 10 foot deep. I have found two coin caches in my lifetime and saw a buddy dig a third. None were more than a foot and a half deep.
    wow, congrats man... did those happen to be coin caches found in the Philippines or elsewhere? one of the things that i suspect may perhaps make a difference in possible depths here is the fact that the Japanese had enslaved tens of thousands of POWs to dig their holes. it wouldn't have been a problem to dig down really deep to bury even smaller items. but the current depth is 15 ft on this particular excavation so here's to hoping you're expectation is accurate

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    10721 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    In the US. There were not many coins in each. A set of about 8 colonial coppers and two small caches of US silvers one I think about 32, the other 75 or so.

Jan 2018
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    In the US. There were not many coins in each. A set of about 8 colonial coppers and two small caches of US silvers one I think about 32, the other 75 or so.
    oh i see... just checked out your banner finds btw, very nice. in this particular case we're probably talking about a larger cache of gold items in the form of coins or bullion since it would have been looted from the treasuries of all the asian nations the Japanese had invaded at the time. so im guessing its fair to say they probably buried it much deeper. but your insight is very much appreciated my friend

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    10721 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Ground penetrating radar would be the only way to go. It's very expensive.
    enochsea7 likes this.

Jul 2016
    shovel
    64 times
    Prospecting
    over the last 15 year all the ones i believe or seen some 1 foot some 4 foot the deepest 7 foot ....just figure this water table near coastal place big factor seen that many times ,,, many digs one troop in hard soil hand full of one kilo bars not deep ,,,, a chest like that full of oro maybe a army would dig grave depth ,,no proof only stories of 5 feet in the mountains ,,no detector of that time could spot it ,,,,all the times water was involved never seen anything found .....1944 no pumps no electric no fuel the normal .....they even stopped at the water table when building bomb shelters when they had all of the above ... so the bomb shelters near the coast are above ground down to the water table ....(aka water trap bs ) u think about this fact a few them are in dumaguete they build them to protect there great pilots ....so stories of digging below the water table (millions of years ) are all crazy .....seen many holes up to 50' with water nothing ever found tens of thousands spent ......and remember your only allowed to metal detect on the beach no treasure hunting allowed so no one ever shows u what they found never

Jan 2018
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 666 View Post
    over the last 15 year all the ones i believe or seen some 1 foot some 4 foot the deepest 7 foot ....just figure this water table near coastal place big factor seen that many times ,,, many digs one troop in hard soil hand full of one kilo bars not deep ,,,, a chest like that full of oro maybe a army would dig grave depth ,,no proof only stories of 5 feet in the mountains ,,no detector of that time could spot it ,,,,all the times water was involved never seen anything found .....1944 no pumps no electric no fuel the normal .....they even stopped at the water table when building bomb shelters when they had all of the above ... so the bomb shelters near the coast are above water u think about this fact a few them are in dumaguete they build them to protect there great pilots ....so stories of digging below the water table are all crazy .....seen many holes up to 50' with water nothing ever found thousands spent ......and remember your only allowed to metal detect on the beach no treasure hunting allowed so no one ever shows u what they found never

some people say that sometimes there are "water traps" that cause the water table to rise much higher than it was naturally. do you have experience with anything like that happening? thanks for this information
    Last edited by enochsea7; Jan 15, 2018 at 12:40 AM.

Jul 2016
    shovel
    64 times
    Prospecting
    only mother nature can change the water table ....in luzon it hasnt changed much in the last 100 years maybe a foot ....take my word if u could not build a simple bomb shelter under ground because of the water that shows you.... they could not change the water table up or down ....and yes ive had this problem on the beach once i hit water table i stop one foot below .....remember global warming the seas have risen just look at the coconut tree line or ask people over 90 from the ww2 time they tell u water table of 74 yrs ago

Jul 2016
    shovel
    64 times
    Prospecting
    what island was that ammo box found luzon ??(if the box was filled with oro it be impossible to travel in the mountains with and would probably come apart ) oro 3 to 5 x heavier then ammo ....it be the weight of a big car ....and your stones maybe?? but u need more then that to find anything

Jan 2018
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 666 View Post
    what island was that ammo box found luzon ??(if the box was filled with oro it be impossible to travel in the mountains with and would probably come apart ) oro 3 to 5 x heavier then ammo ....it be the weight of a big car ....and your stones maybe?? but u need more then that to find anything
    yea i think it said somewhere in Luzon. you could be right about it not being strong enough to carry gold in. maybe they filled it later? guess we'll never know

good stuff. the insight about my stones is appreciated also. ill let your "maybe" opinion reinforce my "certainly" opinion

the maps posted by the good fellow on this thread show me that the Japanese were in fact using a secret code. id love to find someone that could translate my stone. i used a pendulum chart to try the psychic method and it simply spelled "pointer". since it was pointing straight down im hoping that's accurate.

thanks again
    Last edited by enochsea7; Jan 15, 2018 at 02:36 AM.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    8476 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by enochsea7 View Post
    ..... in this particular case we're probably talking about a larger cache of gold items in the form of coins or bullion since it.... so im guessing its fair to say they probably buried it much deeper.....
    enochsea7 why is this your conclusion ? Why is it that ... the bigger the treasure, the deeper it must, of necessity , be ? When did this become a "given" ? Or let me put it to you this way: If someone buries something to hide it, and covers the top, and fluffs it up: Then how is the object ANY MORE "hidden" whether it's 2 ft. deep versus 20 ft. deep ? EITHER WAY it's equally hidden. Right ? So why does the "size" of a treasure have anything to do with depth they chose ?

And wouldn't the ultimate intention be to come back and retrieve it someday ? Then why oh why oh why does someone bury it 20 ft. deep ? I challenge you to go out and dig a hole even 5 or 7 ft. deep, where the space at the bottom is big enough to put that box in your pix. In just a few hours, you will begin to see that it's not easy.

Example: There's a certain pocket cove beach near me, where bedrock is about 5 or 6 ft. deep. And we make sport of digging down to the bedrock, to find coins (recreational fumble fingers stuff). And let me tell you : EVEN IN SOFT SAND it take hours to get down that deep. Because the sides of the hole have to be exponentially bigger at the top, lest the sides of the hole cave in as we dig. So, for example, to get 5 sq. feet of bottom space, at the bottom of the hole, then the TOP of the hole needs to be more than 10 ft. across. See ?

I think the notion that the "bigger the treasure" = "the deeper it must be", is nothing more than folklore and superstition. Forgive me for being blunt.

And as for your rocks in post #4, why can't those just be randomly occurring shapes ? For example: If you lie on your back and stare at the passing clouds for an hour: You will eventually make out the shape of a smiley face, a bunny, a big dipper, etc.... So too if you look at 1000 rocks, you will subconsciously start to see uncanny shapes in a bunch of them. Me thinks you're reading too much into randomly occurring objects and folklore legend stories.
    3cylbill and sprailroad like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links