Most Successful Treasure Hunter in Human History - By Far

OP
OP
N

NinjaT

He was no treasure hunter in my book.

By definition he was a treasure hunter. That's where his vast wealth came from. Lots of bad guys out there who hunt treasure, that's for sure. Its interesting to see that one of the worst dictators in human history was fortunate enough to recover probably the largest horde of treasure that anyone ever will and then die of old age in the Hawaiian islands. Where is karma in the Marcos story? No where to be found...

Last edited:

renantagum30

Nov 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ferdinand marcos was a fortunate treasure hunter with the maps recovered, with the help of psychic olof , and bob curtis. i agree with you ninjat

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Uh, the Japanese, in their Asian campaign, stole all of the wealth they could ( Hirohito's brother ). It was then stashed in the Philippines. Marcos found out the locations, and stole it for himself. This was ill gotten treasure. In addition, he and Imelda siphoned off billions of US taxpayer aid dollars, to add to their unknown billions of stolen loot. Two of the most rotten, evil humans to walk the planet.

I love that picture of his pig of a "wife" that you posted.

I wouldn't call him a treasure hunter, either.

OP
OP
N

NinjaT

Uh, the Japanese, in their Asian campaign, stole all of the wealth they could ( Hirohito's brother ). It was then stashed in the Philippines. Marcos found out the locations, and stole it for himself. This was ill gotten treasure. In addition, he and Imelda siphoned off billions of US taxpayer aid dollars, to add to their unknown billions of stolen loot. Two of the most rotten, evil humans to walk the planet.

I love that picture of his pig of a "wife" that you posted.

I wouldn't call him a treasure hunter, either.

You could say most all of it is ill gotten treasure unless you put forth your every effort to find its original owner and give it back. If you found a priceless Viking horde of silver on a river bank that had a lock of hair inside it, would you proceed to go have it tested for DNA so you could hunt down the descendants and return the hidden cache?

You say Marcos "found out the locations" and "stole it" for himself. His every motivation was born out of the insatiable hunger for gold and precious gemstones. From the very beginning of his political carrier he was doing anything it took to find Yamashita's gold. Yes, some of those methods were dishonest. This guy was a filthy animal no question about it. But he was a treasure hunter by definition nonetheless. The title of treasure hunter has never carried with it some kind of morality requirement.

"A treasure hunter is a person who, as either a vocation or avocation, searches for sunken, buried, lost, or hidden treasure and other artifacts."

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not someone to admire for his success as a thief, which is a more accurate description of his "vocation, or avocation" or his other deeds in life. I was in the Philippines in the 70's, and didn't really like what I saw, or experienced.

OP
OP
N

NinjaT

Not someone to admire for his success as a thief, which is a more accurate description of his "vocation, or avocation" or his other deeds in life. I was in the Philippines in the 70's, and didn't really like what I saw, or experienced.

Agreed that he shouldn't be admired for his methods.

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
Mr Marcos was ruthless ...but he will always be the #1 treasure hunter... He might seem like a pirate to most of you ....But he got the treasures that all of you dream of

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
By forcing others to sacrifice their life, or by stealing it from the possession of others, or even executing those that found it so he could take possession ?

OP
OP
N

NinjaT

By forcing others to sacrifice their life, or by stealing it from the possession of others, or even executing those that found it so he could take possession ?

Yes, by whatever means necessary, he hunted and recovered treasure beyond anyone's wildest fantasies. His every waking moment was spent contemplating the way to reach his ultimate goal. Every step he took was directed by his ultimate strategy. To recover Yamashita's treasure. Nothing else mattered to him. He was willing to ruthlessly eliminate anyone and anything that stood in his path. And that he did. I think that's where the disagreement is. Some are saying that one has to "earn" the title of Treasure Hunter by maintaining some level of integrity. Yet every person on earth will always be subject to the influence of dark forces when a pile of gold bars is sitting in front of them, no matter how high the path they walked to get there may have been. We are all imperfect and will always be at war with greedy temptations when faced with vast wealth.

Treasure Hunter. Its a simple term with a simple meaning. No reason to over complicate things. If it bugs you then just call him fanatical treasure hunter. But he was a treasure hunter nonetheless.

I'm not in love with the guy. Just saying...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread