This may take a while, please be patient.
Excavating for a "Y" at Devereux Station on the orange and Alexandria
Railroad. Brig. Gen. Hermann Haupt, Chief of Construction and
Transportation, U.S. Military Railroads, is standing on the bank supervising
the work. The "General Haupt," the engine pulling the train in the photograph,
was named in Haupt's honor. Photographed by Capt. Andrew J. Russell.
Station at Hanover Junction, Pa., showing an engine and cars. In
November 1863 Lincoln had to change trains at this point to dedicate the
U.S. Military Railroads engine "General Haupt," built in 1863.
Ruins of the Confederate enginehouse at Atlanta, Ga., September 1864,
showing the engines "Telegraph" and "O.A. Bull."
Ruins of Hood's 28-car ammunition train and the Schofield Rolling Mill, near
Atlanta, Ga., September 1864. Photographed by George N. Barnard.
Depot of the U.S. Military Railroads, City Point, Va., 1864, showing the
U.S. Military Railroads engine No.137, built in l864 in the yards at
Chattanooga, Tenn., with troops lined up in the background.
The engine "Firefly" on a trestle of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad.
Return to top
Return to TreasureNet
No warrantees or guarantees expressed or implied.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 TreasureNet