1/4 British Sovereign I think

greg23

May 16, 2008
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I have the opportunity to purchase one with a date of 1896 I believe. Has anyone heard of these ? I tried looking them up, but there is not much information on them. Its so small , that you need a magnifying glass to read the date. Can anyone provide any info. Also the guy wants $80 CAD for it.

Greg 20201108_171356.jpg 20201108_171338.jpg

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the opportunity to purchase one with a date of 1896 I believe. Has anyone heard of these ? I tried looking them up, but there is not much information on them. Its so small , that you need a magnifying glass to read the date. Can anyone provide any info. Also the guy wants $80 CAD for it.

Greg

I wouldn't touch it. There is no record on Wikipedia of there being an 1894 Quarter Sovereign. I wouldn't trust it if I couldn't easily find information about it.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something isn't right here. Our quarter-sovereign has only been introduced in modern times (first struck in 2009) as a collector/bullion coin. The smallest gold coin struck in 1896 (or any date in Victoria's reign) was the half-sovereign. It carries no indication of value, but is 19mm in diameter and has 3.99g of .9167 gold (ie 3.66g actual). No-one's going to sell you one of those for $80 CAD, since that's way below the bullion price.

Last edited:

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would listen to some of the other T-net members , there looking out for your best interest [ a picture is worth a thousand words]

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be a (not very well made) replica of a sovereign, but in miniature. Presumably for jewellery or novelty purposes. Looks like it was made last week! Whether or not it's gold is another question, but pretty unlikely for the price offered to you.

An authentic sovereign would be 22mm in diameter, so that replica is not full-size.

1889 SOVEREIGN:
Sovereign.jpg

A half sovereign would be smaller at 19mm, but had a shield design rather than St George & Dragon on the reverse (and a different obverse).

1889 HALF SOVEREIGN
Half Sovereign.jpg

You haven't given a measurement, but it looks smaller than 19mm. We didn't mint any gold coins smaller than that during Victoria's reign.

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just in the interests of completeness, there was continual discussion about issuing a gold quarter-sovereign in Victorian times and two pattern dies were produced in 1853: one engraved "Quarter Sovereign" and the other engraved "Five Shillings". Both were 13.5mm diameter. After further discussion about the practicalities, the idea was abandoned and the dies were never used.

Quarter Sovereign.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread